Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > General Insurance Track
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 PM
SOA

College: Brigham Young University
Default GI Track Haters - explain yourselves

I have read so many posts on this forum from people trolling the GI track. I can understand members of the CAS getting defensive since the SOA now offers a competing exam track. But I have yet to hear any good arguements against the GI track other than the NAIC's comment that the GI track "breadth and depth" needed for a qualified P&C actuary. Yet even the NAIC's commentary lacks specifics. Besides, the SOA, CAS and NAIC are currently working together to revise and clarify the educational standards for a qualified actuary. You can bet the SOA is going to make the changes needed to the exam track to get them in line with the NAIC's standards and soon these concerns will be a thing of the past.

Haters, here is a thread for you to explain yourselves. Please share specifics, whether it is empirical or some experience of yours. And keep your dang emotions out. I am particularly interested in hearing from poeple that have taken both CAS and SOA GI exams, if even such a person out there exists.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:58 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Bourbon County

dey took ur jurbs
Old 08-22-2018, 01:06 PM

The local gas utility here tried to merge with the electric company. When that didn't happen, they started stringing up their own electric poles at great cost. They then energized them and started offering 105 volt AC power to people that already had 110 volt AC that they were happy with; they then even waived the connection fee for people that already had service from the electric company. There were very few takers.

New houses didn't sign up either. I guess the large number of appliances that run on 110 volts might have been a deciding factor.

No parallels to your question, of course. I just felt like telling that story.

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."
Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheasley View Post
I have read so many posts on this forum from people trolling the GI track. I can understand members of the CAS getting defensive since the SOA now offers a competing exam track. But I have yet to hear any good arguements against the GI track other than the NAIC's comment that the GI track "breadth and depth" needed for a qualified P&C actuary. Yet even the NAIC's commentary lacks specifics. Besides, the SOA, CAS and NAIC are currently working together to revise and clarify the educational standards for a qualified actuary. You can bet the SOA is going to make the changes needed to the exam track to get them in line with the NAIC's standards and soon these concerns will be a thing of the past.

Haters, here is a thread for you to explain yourselves. Please share specifics, whether it is empirical or some experience of yours. And keep your dang emotions out. I am particularly interested in hearing from poeple that have taken both CAS and SOA GI exams, if even such a person out there exists.
How many people have the designation and how many dollars was spent to create the designation? Seems the "market" has decided this is a product no one wants.

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 08-22-2018, 01:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
The local gas utility here tried to merge with the electric company. When that didn't happen, they started stringing up their own electric poles at great cost. They then energized them and started offering 105 volt AC power to people that already had 110 volt AC that they were happy with; they then even waived the connection fee for people that already had service from the electric company. There were very few takers.

New houses didn't sign up either. I guess the large number of appliances that run on 110 volts might have been a deciding factor.

No parallels to your question, of course. I just felt like telling that story.
Point taken. Perception is key. As long as the public percieves the gas company's electric polls as being subpar to the electric company's poles then not many will sign up.

Once they get in line with the NAIC I suspect perception will change.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

It's more that I find it a waste of resources on the part of the SOA, and causing enmity between actuarial organizations that didn't have to exist.

For info on that last bit:
https://www.slideshare.net/meepbobee...d-aaa-timeline

I didn't keep up the tallies of those taking the GI exams, but I guess we can see it at http://www.actuarial-lookup.com/

Here are the GI-specific ones:
http://www.actuarial-lookup.com/exams/46
http://www.actuarial-lookup.com/exams/47
http://www.actuarial-lookup.com/exams/48
http://www.actuarial-lookup.com/exams/49

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-22-2018, 01:59 PM
SOA

The problem that I see with the CAS's offering is that it pigeonhole's you into P&C work. With the SOA, all tracks lead to the same outcome. Once you have an FSA, nobody cares how you got it. They only care about your experience. And the FSA designation is well regarded in all lines of insurance, except P&C. This is great if you expect to practice in multiple lines of insurance or change career paths into another line of insurance.
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

It's kind of like how Lamborghini tried to make a supercar to spite Ferrari and everyone made fun of him because he was a tractor maker, and look how that turned out.

Wait a minute, that's not a good argument at all, whoops! Just kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

A quick reminder of SOA-GI exam counts over the last 4 years:

Code:
YEAR	14 15 16 17
GIADV    4  5  9 11	  
GIFREU   2  2  7  8		
GIIRR    7  8 17 14		
Pass%   45 41 56 57  

GIINT   16 13 16 17
Pass%   50 65 30 43

TOTAL   29 28 49 50
To put that in context, I think the number of FCAS entries showing in the CAS database is 5,442.

Last edited by Klaymen; 08-22-2018 at 02:06 PM..
Old 08-22-2018, 02:25 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheasley View Post
Once you have an FSA, nobody cares how you got it.
Why does the SOA bother having different tracks at all?

Tags
cas > soa, cas < soa, general insurance, soa, soa > cas