Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:19 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I know what predictive modeling and automated reporting mean in this context, but I'm not sure what you mean by data engineering or "quality of life improvements".

(My typical quality of life improvement is buying a new chair...)
Data engineering is building databases and data processes. Our SQL server is a mess, so someone has to dig in and scrub the data so it's easily accessible and in formats that people without SQL technical skills can access it. For instance, you can create a Shiny app, to create a UI that does all the SQL querying for people that spits out in a nice .csv at the click of the button.

It also how you deploy models and calculations. Hosting the models on a server, turning them into an API and ensuring all of the proper proxies are set. Sometimes that's the job of the IT department, but in my case it's not.

So data engineers are more on the programming side of things (where knowing python comes in handy) and data scientists are more on the statistical side of things.

quality of life improvements is having my boss' coffee ready by 8:45, so it's just the right temperature by the time they arrive.

In my case, an example of QoL improvements are creating scripts that read and parse PDF's so coworkers don't have to spend hours getting them in a usable format. I get a list of tedious tasks from a data perspective and find ways to make it less tedious. I enjoy that aspect the more than building models sometimes because I remember doing a lot of annoying manual tasks when I was in actuarial consulting.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 AM

Thanks. That all makes sense.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:06 AM
CAS

Studying for Python
Favorite beer: Asahi Draft

Seems like it’s very different across companies even more so than I expected. Here we have large pool of data scientists. I went to internal Kaggle-ish competition info session and had a feeling Python was preferred over R here. Competition related trainings were in Python and examples were shown in Python. R users could still participate. I guess R vs Python usage at work depends on proportion of non-actuarial data scientists : actuaries. A lot of masters program in DS utilize Python these days, so recent DS grads might be more used to Python than to R.

Do you know if people use Actuar R package? One thing I wanted to do to master Python while brushing up basic R skill was to rewrite actuar package in Python (for learning purpose initially). If it’s not really used, maybe there is less value in doing so. For work, I used Meyer’s MCMC code which may depend on that or CL package but I’m not too sure…
Old 06-18-2019, 11:34 AM
CAS

I think R vs. Python debate is really a debate between statistically-minded data scientists and CS-minded data scientists. If you're dealing with a flood of data, and your challenge is to make effective use of it, then Python would probably be the language of choice for you. If you're trying to tease out signal from your noisy dataset, then R would be the more appropriate language.

If you work for Facebook, and your goal is to figure out how to use gazillion terabytes of data to make people waste more time on Facebook, then you'll be more effective with Python. For typical actuarial uses of data science, I really think that the use of Python should be discouraged. Your choice of tools will bias you towards the kinds of models that you build, and Python will steer you towards models that are ill-suited for insurance.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood J View Post
I think R vs. Python debate is really a debate between statistically-minded data scientists and CS-minded data scientists. If you're dealing with a flood of data, and your challenge is to make effective use of it, then Python would probably be the language of choice for you. If you're trying to tease out signal from your noisy dataset, then R would be the more appropriate language.

If you work for Facebook, and your goal is to figure out how to use gazillion terabytes of data to make people waste more time on Facebook, then you'll be more effective with Python. For typical actuarial uses of data science, I really think that the use of Python should be discouraged. Your choice of tools will bias you towards the kinds of models that you build, and Python will steer you towards models that are ill-suited for insurance.
I would also imagine that UI requirements along with "frequency of use/development" could also be a consideration between Python and R (i.e., R-shiny).

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Also, is there anything analogous to R-Studio for Python?

I see (with a very quick search) that there are some functionality for working with Python within Visual Studio; but I don't think that this would be the same sort of thing as you get between R and R-Studio.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-18-2019, 02:06 PM
CAS

There is nothing that comes close to R Studio in Python, as far as I'm aware. The ease with which R Studio allows you to inspect intermediate output on demand is another reason why actuaries should opt for R over Python. The standards for error checking and common sense checking are much higher for actuaries than for typical data scientists.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM
CAS

Studying for Python

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post

I see (with a very quick search) that there are some functionality for working with Python within Visual Studio; but I don't think that this would be the same sort of thing as you get between R and R-Studio.
DS is usually done in Jupyter Notebook. That's analogous to Rmarkdown. It's very easy to use. Programming is usually done in a text editor based on personal preference.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:09 PM
CAS

Studying for Python

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood J View Post
The ease with which R Studio allows you to inspect intermediate output on demand is another reason why actuaries should opt for R over Python.
That's why Jupyter Notebook is used for DS work in Python.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 AM
Wiki Contributor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for the rest of my life.
College: Alumnus - Queens College - CUNY
Favorite beer: Stone Ruination IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post

Not really, but I use JetBrains PyCharm as my Python IDE. Then there is Apache Zeppelin for on-prem Spark, and I really have to start spending some time with DataBricks.

--with apologies to Dr. Leon Lederman