Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 12-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Just re-watched the Rifftrax to Batman Dark Knight.

It is my favorite of all riff-trax, and probably my favorite comedy period (although that's not saying much).
I've not seen that one, but I loved the Rifftrax R.O.T.O.R. Fell asleep to that last night.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 12-05-2017, 11:57 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

The Stratton Story Biopic on Monty Stratton, a top MLB pitcher who lost a leg in a hunting accident and actually pitching again in the minors. Like many biopics of this era, long on myth and short on truth, but enjoyable

Theeb (2014) Best Foreign nominee. Would have been a beautiful big screen film. A bit slow, yet worthwhile film of a boy getting across the desert in WWI. A Jordanian entry.

Maine Pyar Kiya (1989) Bollywood is not for me. I find it generally insipid and emotionally extreme and false.

V/H/S (2012) Hand held camera stuff, that I think had a common thread, but was a bunch of snuff vignettes, that went from the absurd to the ridiculous

Monkey Shines (1988) George Romero, special aid monkey has plans of her own

Mission to Mars (2000) Great cast and intending to be deep and insightful, but gets weird and I didn't buy any of the actors as the type of character's they should be portraying.

Tunisian Victory (1944) Another of the WWII propaganda films

The Battle of Russia (1943) See above. Odd positive slant on a Stalin led USSR

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) Not up on the Hellboy comics. But these are fun and funny adventure films

Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret (2014) As are many documentaries trying to drive home a point, incredibly flawed in logic. But the point is made.

Valhalla Rising (2009) Also felt like a violent Bergman film. Not really sure of the point of it all

The Other Boleyn Girl (2008) I broke a personal rule by watching this while reading the book. It is so different in fact and intent that it won't ruin much. I hate changing the movie from the book to make the film less historically accurate. Overall a good movie, but the story felt under developed and rushed

Saw II (2005) & Saw III (2006) I actually saw the original with my son when it came out. I actually liked that they tried to add some additional plot to these and for that in some ways III worked better for me. But still badly acted gore fest

Sukkar banat (Caramel) (2007) Love and life around a Lebanese beauty shop. Enjoyable, though a chick flick, which is pretty cool for the location

Greenberg (2010) If you like Greta Gerwig films (not of her making though), this might work for you. But the Greenberg character was a bit too damaged

Super Size Me (2004) A valid documentary perspective, is over shadowed by the debatable gimmick. Discussion worthy though, but too easy to avoid the main issue and rip the results
Old 12-05-2017, 12:08 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Saw II (2005) & Saw III (2006) I actually saw the original with my son when it came out. I actually liked that they tried to add some additional plot to these and for that in some ways III worked better for me. But still badly acted gore fest
I think I'm in the minority in believing that Saw III is worth watching. Definitely don't bother with anything past that though. This is coming from someone who saw parts II through VII in theaters and very frequently asked himself why he was doing this.
Quote:
Greenberg (2010) If you like Greta Gerwig films (not of her making though), this might work for you. But the Greenberg character was a bit too damaged
Actually turned it off when he was at the party with the kids and never finished it. I assumed something very cringeworthy was coming, and I was going to a party later that night and didn't need to be in that frame of mind.
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Super Size Me (2004) A valid documentary perspective, is over shadowed by the debatable gimmick. Discussion worthy though, but too easy to avoid the main issue and rip the results
I'd say the debatable gimmick is what makes it, a documentary, interesting to watch. I mean, the facts -- number of calories in a McD meal, etc. -- are available, and would be a five second SnapChat.

Also, a sequel in 2018:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/super...ken-again.html

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 12-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:

Maine Pyar Kiya (1989) Bollywood is not for me. I find it generally insipid and emotionally extreme and false.
What do you think of movie musicals in general?

LinkedIn Profile
Old 12-05-2017, 01:40 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

Moonlight (2016) was quite good, but of course you don't need to hear that since it did win best picture (there's a good reason for that).
Old 12-05-2017, 01:57 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I'd say the debatable gimmick is what makes it, a documentary, interesting to watch. I mean, the facts -- number of calories in a McD meal, etc. -- are available, and would be a five second SnapChat.

Also, a sequel in 2018:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/super...ken-again.html
agreed, but it also makes it more debatable than it needed to be, which diminishes the point of what he was trying to say, even though more people paid attention to what he was saying.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:13 PM
SOA AAA

That's going to happen with any "slanted" documentary. Moore's stuff, that thing with fracking, etc. Even Burns' PBS stuff will have critics (something came up recently about "The Civil War" and Kelly).

And, according to my link, McD dropped supersize six weeks after it came out. So, worked.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Mar3.html

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 12-05-2017, 02:14 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
What do you think of movie musicals in general?
All over the map for me.

I thought La La Land was over rated, thinking of current musicals, I thought the live action Beauty and The Beast was charming and damaged by comparisons to the animated. I liked Into The Woods, but it felt too uneven

I like a strong story, love West Side, Story, Fiddler, Les Mis - really most of the high rated ones. I want a song or two that will stick with me.

and I like fun musicals like Little Shop, Rocky Horror or Bye Bye Birdie

I am not a fan of many of the mass produced musicals of the 40s and 50s. There isn't usually enough substance

I have issues with modern musicals like Chicago or La La that I feel sacrifice singing talent for name value.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:17 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
That's going to happen with any "slanted" documentary. Moore's stuff, that thing with fracking, etc. Even Burns' PBS stuff will have critics (something came up recently about "The Civil War" and Kelly).

And, according to my link, McD dropped supersize six weeks after it came out. So, worked.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Mar3.html
I haven't done McDs since my kids have grown, other than maybe a train station or airport.

Even when I did, I didn't supersize (actually didn't know it was gone) and would almost never get a shake. and believe me, I am not a controlled eater.

and I agree, many documentaries over sell to make the point. I am just saying his stunt was so extreme, I felt it distracted from the message, rather than advance it.