Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-23-2020, 08:25 AM
CAS

How violent is it? That's a movie my move group is discussing.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:38 AM
SOA

College: Western Kentucky University

Blade runner has some violent scenes but not much by way of gore. Its a great movie IMHO but you have to be able to deal with dystopian themes. Also ignore any references to when the movie is taking place.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
How violent is it? That's a movie my move group is discussing.
In IMDB there is a Parent Guide that is usually pretty detailed

Quote:
Sex & Nudity
Edit
Moderate 71 of 167 found this moderate
A male kisses a female
When a woman gets dressed, her breasts are visible for less than a minute as she gets up and proceeds to put a bra on.
Some women are shown in semi revealing clothing.
A male human kisses a male replicant (his creation).
Violence & Gore
Edit
Moderate 56 of 87 found this moderate
A woman straddles a man's neck in a fight and attempts to choke him with her thighs. She spins his head around and slaps it multiple times but then lets him go.
A woman's consent is violated. A man and woman are talking. He leans in for a kiss. She withdraws and walks to the door. He follows her and slams the door shut. He grabs her and pushes her against a wall. She's clearly unhappy. He kisses her and orders her to kiss him. She complies. After a moment, she and the man become amorous.
Not a lot of violence, but the violence that Blade Runner does have can be bloody and intense.
A man is shot twice in the chest; he flies backwards in the chair he was sitting in. No blood is seen, but in the Workprint version you can see smoke or steam coming out of an exit wound for a few seconds afterwards.
A man is shot through the back of the head and you can see (from the front) his forehead burst open. Surprisingly little blood is visible.
A man's skull is crushed (not visibly, but a crack is heard) and we see blood come from his eyes as the perpetrator's thumbs are pressed into his eye sockets while the victim groans in agony (very disturbing). The Final Cut, International Cut, and Workprint versions show this on-screen with blood pouring from the eyes of the man being killed. This isn't as graphic as one might imagine due to much of the blood being obscured from the perpetrator's thumbs. The other versions, U.S. Theatrical Cut and Director's Cut, cut away until the attacker lets go.
A woman is shot in the chest. As she writhes on the ground, she is shot again until she dies. Bloody bullet wounds are very briefly visible, including one shot where blood pours out of the wound. Much of this scene is shot from a far distance.
In the Final Cut, International Cut, and Workprint versions a woman briefly lifts a man lying on the ground a bit by hooking his nostrils with her fingers.
A man grabs another man's hand and breaks a couple of his fingers. You can hear the fingers breaking and see the man wince in pain. He later resets his own fingers and you see them bent back at first.
A man has the tip of his ear shot off at close range, with the wound and blood quite visible.
A man hits another man in the face with a metal pipe. You can later see blood on the man's face.
A man intentionally stabs a nail through his own hand. In the Final Cut, International Cut, and Workprint this is seen clearly with a little bit of blood. The actual stabbing is done very quickly and the shot of it going through is brief. The other versions, U.S. Theatrical Cut and Director's Cut, cut away from this until the nail has already gone through.
Profanity
Edit
Mild 58 of 86 found this mild
R - for strong violence, some nudity, and language
1 abuse of "Christ."
"****er" is heard. In the Final Cut, this has been replaced by "father."
A few other, milder profanities such as "*******" or "goddamn."
In older releases with the narration, a derogatory racial slur used towards African Americans is used at one point in the narration, however this is merely spoken narration and given as an example of something - no character is actually calling anyone the word in question.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
Edit
Mild 70 of 77 found this mild
Characters are seen smoking cigarettes and drinking alcoholic beverages in some scenes.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
Edit
Moderate 46 of 76 found this moderate
Rated R for violence and brief nudity
The scene where an android pokes out a man's eyeballs is very intense and may disturb some viewers. This is arguably the most violent scene in the movie (despite not being extremely graphic).
A character is seen hanging off a building by his fingers.
The film is very dark and depressing, and there is a growing sense of paranoia throughout.
The final confrontation between the main character and antagonist is very intense and frightening.
The ending is emotional and intense.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:51 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtatum View Post
Blade Runner (1980's version starting Harrison Ford)

Never seen either of these but this may now be my favorite sci fi movie ever. I loved it. Great story and amazing visuals for the 1980's. It's on Netflix if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.
Do you know which cut is on Netflix?

IIRC, there were at least 5 different versions of this released at various times (theatrical, director's, etc.)

I saw this years ago, but I don't know which version I saw. Also can't remember if there's a consensus "best" version.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Do you know which cut is on Netflix?

IIRC, there were at least 5 different versions of this released at various times (theatrical, director's, etc.)

I saw this years ago, but I don't know which version I saw. Also can't remember if there's a consensus "best" version.
The Final Cut - I attached a review that seems to explain it

Quote:
The Final Cut is a beautifully restored and enhanced version of the film. It doesn't add any ridiculous new CGI scenes just because it can and there is no unnecessary filler. For years, I've preferred the Director's Cut to the Theatrical Version. It was the "belly full of killing" line that always sent me over the edge. However, I don't think I would appreciate the Director's Cut as much without first having seen the Theatrical Version. The Final Cut finally bridges the gap between the two.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Daneel Olivaw View Post
Blade runner has some violent scenes but not much by way of gore. Its a great movie IMHO but you have to be able to deal with dystopian themes. Also ignore any references to when the movie is taking place.
My wife and I agree - we'll be rewatching Blade Runner very soon!
Old 03-24-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_G View Post
My wife and I agree - we'll be rewatching Blade Runner very soon!
I almost watched last night. Will pull the trigger soon.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:04 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: A & W Root

Call of the Wild - Clark Gable, Loretta Young (1935)
Old 03-24-2020, 12:09 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazh View Post
Call of the Wild - Clark Gable, Loretta Young (1935)
I don't believe I have seen any movie version of it
Old 03-24-2020, 12:23 PM
SOA AAA

The Whirlpool - A very odd French film (2012), focuses on two young people that meet at Niagara Falls and travel around a bit sharing their lives. A little too unfocused for my taste.