Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Online Courses > Course 1 - Risk Management & Insurance Operation
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuggleActuary View Post
Personally, I didn't find that to be the case. There did seem to be more questions where two of the answers seemed to fit (or be true statements), but if I reread the question itself, only one of those true facts was actually relevant to what was being asked. So you need to read more carefully. But I found the questions to be reasonable, and did better on the exam than any random set of 75 questions I had practiced with.
Note that some questions will have two answers that are generally correct, but only one is the best answer. IIRC, the directions say "select the best answer to each problem"; so it's not enought to just find a correct answer in this case.

As you said, reading the question carefully (but don't take too long; only re-read if you find two (or more!) "correct" answers, IMO) is one key; reading all of the answers carefully is also prudent.

Quote:
That being said, studying is going to take you longer than you think it will. I am a pretty fast reader, and it still felt like I took forever to get through it all. So be sure to leave yourself enough time to get through the material, and when taking the quizzes, try to understand why the wrong answers are wrong, not just why the right answers are right. If you do that, Course 1 should be fairly painless.
ITA with the bolded. That will help immensely when it comes time to taking the live-action version of the exam.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 AM
CAS

Quote:
I just wanted to say (for those who read this thread for future sittings) that I let myself get really worried because the posts here said that the real exam was more difficult than the practice problems.

Personally, I didn't find that to be the case. There did seem to be more questions where two of the answers seemed to fit (or be true statements), but if I reread the question itself, only one of those true facts was actually relevant to what was being asked. So you need to read more carefully. But I found the questions to be reasonable, and did better on the exam than any random set of 75 questions I had practiced with.
I also found the quiz questions to be approximately the same level of difficulty as the regular exam. My theory is that people tend to take the quiz immediately after reading/reviewing the chapter. This biases their view because the details are as fresh as they're ever going to be at that point.

After a while, I started holding off on doing any problems until I had read the whole text. Then I did problems without any review to give me a good baseline of what truly soaked in. Since some of the details had flew my mind at that point, the quizzes were a good approximation of the actual exam. This also really helped me zero in on my weak points, imo.

Just my $0.02.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
As you said, reading the question carefully (but don't take too long; only re-read if you find two (or more!) "correct" answers, IMO) is one key; reading all of the answers carefully is also prudent..
Time really shouldn't be an issue with this one. Re-reading most questions wouldn't be too bad : I'm pretty sure you could finish with time to spare if you re-read most questions.

Definitely don't be in a hurry for the sake of being in a hurry : I marked about 15 questions for review and was back to my car within an hour of entering the prometric center.

Really, most questions are straightforward. I think many people extrapolate from a few ambiguous questions, but in my experience, they made for less than a fifth of the exam.

I guess what I'm saying is not to sacrifice being comfortable with what you're answering for the sake of speed.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

The questions really aren't that ambiguous at all, provided you read the question well enough. The ambiguity comes from another answer choice that sounds correct, but in reality has little to nothing to do with the question asked. Though I'm just reiterating a part of what VA said.

live laugh love
Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM
CAS

It looks like the textbook is 2 volumes. Both books together is 717 pages?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

I don't know about the number of pages, but I remember the volume 2 being much larger than volume 1. It was a real treat picking up volume 2 for the first time after suffering through volume 1. That was when I settled with the review notes

live laugh love
Old 12-31-2014, 12:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
I don't know about the number of pages, but I remember the volume 2 being much larger than volume 1. It was a real treat picking up volume 2 for the first time after suffering through volume 1. That was when I settled with the review notes
*Reads first book* ... "this isn't that bad"

*Opens second book* ... review notes for the win.

Quote:
It looks like the textbook is 2 volumes. Both books together is 717 pages?

I think there was about 16 assignments, each being around 40 pages on average or so. I think it is ~700 total.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:43 PM
CAS

when i studied for it i didn't even touch the text. definitely don't need them
Old 03-04-2015, 12:50 PM
CAS

College: University of North Carolina

As someone who is switching from SOA to CAS and wondering what the heck these online courses are all about - these posts have helped me tremendously!

Thank you to everyone who shared their opinion, study strategy and schedule, and pass rate. You guys have comforted me a lot and I'm sort of looking forward to doing these online classes if that's possible.

Cheers!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:09 PM
CAS

Here are my notes - sorry it doesn't include Chapters 12-14.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Online Course 1 Notes.doc (130.0 KB, 2946 views)