Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys > Tournament Style Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

View Poll Results: Who should advance to the Finals?
(P-15) The Arbitrary 51 49.51%
(FM-9) Gandalf 52 50.49%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
Not so desperate that I will encourage SamCook to vote.
I sent him a PM asking that he vote for you. I'm like your unofficial campaign manager.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
SOA

But so far, I'm the only one to vote for Gandalf the great wizard, my most favorite wizard poster of all time.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo View Post
I sent him a PM asking that he vote for you. I'm like your unofficial campaign manager.
I appreciate your vote for me and your help as unofficial campaign manager, but wish you hadn't asked Sam. If he votes for me I'll be so that I'll vote for The Arbitrary just to cancel Sam's vote. (If Sam votes for me by Monday, that is. If not by then I'll assume that Sam won't vote and I'll just vote for myself. Even if the vote is still XX-1 then.)

With you as my unofficial campaign manager, I should be a lock. If you could persuade people that you deserved Rookie of the Year, you can convince them of anything.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo View Post
I'm like your unofficial campaign manager.
I shouldn't give advice to a pro like you, but how about we not target BEWD? I know you like him for some reason, but he is rather dumb. You could convince him to vote for me, but unless you were right there as he tried to vote who knows what would happen? There's some evidence that dumber voters tend to go for the first name on the ballot, and that's not me.

That's evidence from other elections, of course. I'm sure ury's and TA's votes were carefully reasoned.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS ∞

Quote:
I appreciate your vote for me and your help as unofficial campaign manager, but wish you hadn't asked Sam. If he votes for me I'll be so that I'll vote for The Arbitrary just to cancel Sam's vote. (If Sam votes for me by Monday, that is. If not by then I'll assume that Sam won't vote and I'll just vote for myself. Even if the vote is still XX-1 then.)

With you as my unofficial campaign manager, I should be a lock. If you could persuade people that you deserved Rookie of the Year, you can convince them of anything.
If he's as good at voting as he is at math, he will likely somehow vote for Eisenhower.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
I shouldn't give advice to a pro like you, but how about we not target BEWD? I know you like him for some reason, but he is rather dumb. You could convince him to vote for me, but unless you were right there as he tried to vote who knows what would happen? There's some evidence that dumber voters tend to go for the first name on the ballot, and that's not me.

That's evidence from other elections, of course. I'm sure ury's and TA's votes were carefully reasoned.
I sent BEWD a PM, we will see if he votes for you. He may be offended by your post and my campaign promises could fall on deaf ears.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Favorite beer: I prefer not

I got an alert on my smart phone. Who is calling for me here? And where do I vote for Eisenhower?

Hmm, Eisenhower sounds a bit like Isengard. And as we all know, Isengard is a place in Middle Earth:

Quote:
Isengard was built in the Second Age around the tower of Orthanc by the Númenóreans in exile. Its location was at the north-western corner of Rohan, guarding the Fords of Isen from enemy incursions into Calenardhon together with the fortress of Aglarond to its south.

The river Angren (or Isen) began at Methedras behind Isengard, which also formed its northern wall. The other three sides were guarded by a large wall, known as the Ring of Isengard, which was only breached by the inflow of the river Angren at the north-east through a portcullis, and the gate of Isengard at the south, at both shores of the river.
And Middle Earth is the domain of Gandlaf the wizard. So does that mean a vote for Gandalf from the domain of Isengard is like a vote for Eisenhower?

Or given that Eisenhower was a military general in charge of the North African theater, and as we all know there are prides of lions and lionesses in Africa, so would a vote for Linus a heterograph (homophone) of Lioness be a vote for Eisenhower?

I may have to hear more from the candidates to decide. Who is treebeard voting for? Perhaps this is not my war, and I should not get involved. Lionesses and wizards can be dangerous to dragons.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Linus was here but you cannot vote for him here. Nor can you vote for Eisenhower here. I was alive when Eisenhower was president and for the destruction of Isengard; I believe my opponent was alive for neither.

You can vote for me, or you can cast an Arbitrary vote, or you can go back to sleep. You could vote for Linus in a different thread.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Studying for a field sobriety test
Favorite beer: Grizzly

Quote:
Linus was here but you cannot vote for him here. Nor can you vote for Eisenhower here. I was alive when Eisenhower was president and for the destruction of Isengard; I believe my opponent was alive for neither.

You can vote for me, or you can cast an Arbitrary vote, or you can go back to sleep. You could vote for Linus in a different thread.
Don't listen to this guy. You can vote for me. Or you can vote for disappointment. The choice is yours.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 PM

Studying for a field sobriety test
Favorite beer: Grizzly

In the words of the movie I'm watching, "If you ain't first, you're last."