Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys > Tournament Style Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: Who should be the winner of the 2013 AOSCDME?
(FM-9) Gandalf 69 38.33%
(C-13) CindyLou Who 111 61.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo View Post
... on an inaccessible third island 500 miles away."
or you'll cleverly find a way to access the island, be attacked and killed by someone you were trying to attack and kill (except you were totally trying to attack and kill someone else but the game mod put you on the wrong island), only to learn (after you're dead) that the island is completely uninhabitable due to a bird problem*.

* birds who don't even appear to have a !@#$ing king you can possess.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by urysohn View Post
or you'll cleverly find a way to access the island, be attacked and killed by someone you were trying to attack and kill (except you were totally trying to attack and kill someone else but the game mod put you on the wrong island), only to learn (after you're dead) that the island is completely uninhabitable due to a bird problem*.

* birds who don't even appear to have a !@#$ing king you can possess.
Yes, of course, but you left out a few additional details, the part about potentially being possessed by the snake king and then being eaten by shrieking eels after the dog food was poisoned with iocane powder for which you have no resistance.

Wow, you seem to have been through the vetting process before. You would make a good candidate for at least understanding the conundrum. Now let's see how cindylou who answers the question, and hopefully without having to rely on cheats or illegal assistance from other posters. Assistance in steel cage death match interrogatories is highly frowned upon by the judges and voters.

Last edited by Scherzo; 08-20-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 PM

Studying for EA-2L

i'm confused. if there is only 1 can of dog food, is there food for the human too or just 1 can of dog food and 2 dogs and the human?
Spoiler:
Old 08-20-2013, 04:09 PM
SOA

Don't be ridiculous. You only have enough to feed one dog. Why wouldn't you eat the other one? (after eating the nazi who was planning to shoot you naturally)
Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM
SOA

and if meanie Scherzo hadn't said we couldn't think outside his parameters, the easy answer would be "feed half a can to each, they won't starve to death in a week."
Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 PM
SOA

Gandalf's campaign manager unofficially supports eating perfectly healthy dogs.

Wow.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 PM
SOA

While we are waiting for answers from the first round of questions. Let me give the second round questions. All answers are due my 11am EST tomorrow, of course. The topic this round is mathematics. (Last round was the canine round, of course).

The first question this round is for CLW: CLW, please solve for a nontrivial zero of the Riemann zeta function with real part greater than 1/2 or prove that no such zero exists.

The second question this round for Gandalf: Four hobbits leave the Shire on a quest to destroy a gold ring. During the mission they join up with a 5th "Hobbit", Gollum. Gollum and the ring fall into the flames of Mount Doom in Mordor and are destroyed. Of the four original Hobbits who set out on the quest, how many are left?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i'm confused. if there is only 1 can of dog food, is there food for the human too or just 1 can of dog food and 2 dogs and the human?
The human in this problem, CLW, has fat stores and is well nourished and able to fast for one week and still survive to rescue. The dogs, OTOH, are undernourished because they were not well cared for or well fed. I did not want to bias voters with additional details about WHY CLW had not properly fed the dogs or ask her if she still beats the dogs, but now we are getting off in tangential issues not needed to answer the simple question.

No one has to eat the dead dog (it can have a proper burial), but there is only enough food for one dog to live. Just accept the premise of the question and let us stop looking back in time for the details (the poor pet treatment by CLW) which created the problem in the first place. There are two starving dogs, now she must choose which of the dogs she mistreated lives and which dies. And be honest, this is for posterity.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by urysohn View Post
Gandalf's campaign manager unofficially supports eating perfectly healthy dogs.

Wow.
No, even the worst eyes on the AO can see that nowhere was eating of even kosher hot dogs entered into the parameters of this question.

Last edited by Scherzo; 08-20-2013 at 04:24 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 PM

CLW takes an early lead.
I mean, I like being attractive and popular. It's, like, me, okay? So if Dr. Shar makes everyone else attractive and popular, then I'll have to be even more attractive just to keep up, and then if they, like, go back her to catch up to me, then I'll have to go back, and pretty soon it'll be like one of those vicious things! Where will it end Daria? Where will it end?