Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-23-2020, 11:36 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
From my understanding, the virus has jumped way ahead of us on how many can be tested. So currently, we're going through the hammer (social distancing) in order to knock down the number of cases, so we can switch over to testing, tracking, and separating, to get to the dance.

In many parts of Canada, I think, we're still focused on testing, tracking, and separating, but also doing heavy social distancing, because other parts of the country (e.g. B.C., Alberta, and Ontario) have community spread.

Newfoundland and Labrador seems like it's plausible to switch back to testing, tracking, and separating, but we're still getting a lot of people coming back on recovery flights, and we've still got daily flights coming in from areas with community spread.
Right. We are far past the point where we can let most people move around normally while just restricting the positives and their close contacts. And, that would require testing capacity that we don't have.

We can have a glimmer of hope that enough physical distancing could knock the case frequency down to the point where that could work. But, with 33,000 confirmed cases and unknown multiples that haven't been confirmed, it seems unlikely that we'll get down to manageable numbers within a few months.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
U.S. is accumulating cases at the fastest rate for this stage. However, I'm not sure if this is because the U.S. is behind on testing and just catching up or if the virus is simply spreading more quickly than in other countries.
NY is testing like mad now. WA is still ahead per-capita but that won't last for long.

https://www.politico.com/interactive...-of-new-cases/
Old 03-23-2020, 11:51 AM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
I could tell you, but I'd get yelled at by someone and told to take it to political.
Please take it there, and please make it clear if the comment is sarcastic or known misinformation on this end because I am not aware of any credible take that says social distancing is over in a week.

The information right now is extremely murky, and we need to not make it worse with this kind of nonsense. I know you post in good faith, so please donít take this as a personal attack.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:56 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
U.S. is accumulating cases at the fastest rate for this stage. However, I'm not sure if this is because the U.S. is behind on testing and just catching up or if the virus is simply spreading more quickly than in other countries.
Seems a bit misleading to compare gross figures without normalizing for total population, rate of testing, etc. especially in light of the rapidly changing protocols.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Non-Actuary

Anyone else still putting in 45 hour weeks at the office?
Old 03-23-2020, 11:57 AM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
This is social distancing in SLC yesterday: https://twitter.com/zblox/status/124...444251137?s=20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Enjoy your disease vectors Utah.

Anyone think everyone engaged in this (parents or return missionaries) will awful quarantine for the recommended 2 weeks?

Or just try to pray the Covid away...
This kind of picture makes me more sad than mad. I was supposed to see my parents this past weekend, and they had to cancel travel. We are in a period of deep sadness and fear, and we cannot even hug our friends and family. We just arenít wired for this. If Iím going to give a pass in terms of my rage, itís going to be on reunions like this, and other life milestones. Yes, I understand these are people who should self-quarantine for a couple weeks. Yes, I understand asking people to wait two weeks isnít a big deal.

People hanging out on the beach, at bars, going to church? Fry Ďem.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:58 AM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
Longer than that last week actually, but Iím definitely taking very, very long breaks throughout the day at will.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
At the office, or working?

I'm putting in about my usual working, but it's all from my bedroom, on my company's VPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
...People hanging out on the beach, at bars, going to church? Fry Ďem.
Depending on how many people are there, the beach seems reasonably safe. No?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
At the same efficiency level? I find myself working throughout the day, with eating, homework, and outside breaks.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:12 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
This kind of picture makes me more sad than mad. I was supposed to see my parents this past weekend, and they had to cancel travel. We are in a period of deep sadness and fear, and we cannot even hug our friends and family. We just arenít wired for this. If Iím going to give a pass in terms of my rage, itís going to be on reunions like this, and other life milestones. Yes, I understand these are people who should self-quarantine for a couple weeks. Yes, I understand asking people to wait two weeks isnít a big deal.

People hanging out on the beach, at bars, going to church? Fry Ďem.
The LDS church had a good recommendation: these families were instructed to wait in their cars in the airport deck for their arriving family members to join them. These families ignored the instructions. I'd want a reunion with my family member too, but standing around in a large group with international arrivals is just stupidity. Waiting a minute or 2 for your family to get to the car is not a real hardship IMO.