Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 03-26-2020, 11:48 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

https://www.newscientist.com/article...pert-predicts/

Britain doesn't expect to be overwhelmed, 20,000 deaths at most likely much lower.

Importantly, it looks like R0 may be 3+ rather than 2-2.5.

Last edited by ElDucky; 03-26-2020 at 11:54 PM..
Old 03-27-2020, 12:13 AM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.
Default COVID-19

As of 3/28, China is barring ALL foreigners from China. Draw your own conclusions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff

Last edited by Brock; 03-27-2020 at 01:40 AM..
Old 03-27-2020, 12:36 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
To underscore again why I donít trust any of the COVID-19 numbers from China, as of 3/28, China is kicking out ALL foreigners from China. Itís getting bad.
Yeah.

And speaking of countries we don't know much about -- what's up with Russia?
Old 03-27-2020, 01:41 AM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.
Default COVID-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Yeah.

And speaking of countries we don't know much about -- what's up with Russia?

I updated my post. Either way, info out of China is shaky at best.

As far as Russia goes, who the **** knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 03-27-2020, 04:59 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: San Pelligreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Lotta younger people dying in Italy because their healthcare system is overwhelmed and they can't get basic supportive care.
That's not true. .3% of of their deaths are to people under 40. 8.4% under 70. 91.6% of their deaths are over 70.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-group-italy/
It's times like these time and time again
Old 03-27-2020, 06:28 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
That sounds like a marketing person trying to convince people that WalMart is where middle class people shop for clothes. I don't think most people that buy their clothes at WalMart can WFH via video conferencing. But I'm hardly an expert on the topic, so tell me if I'm wrong?
Middle class people who don't normally shop at Walmart for clothes may turn to Walmart in a time like this for various reasons:

- Walmart's physical stores are actually open, unlike most clothing-only stores
- Walmart has a bigger online presence than many higher-quality clothing retailers
- The clothes can be cheaper than what people would wear to an office, because the quality can't really be discerned in webcam videoconferencing
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 03-27-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
That sounds like a marketing person trying to convince people that WalMart is where middle class people shop for clothes. I don't think most people that buy their clothes at WalMart can WFH via video conferencing. But I'm hardly an expert on the topic, so tell me if I'm wrong?
Wal-Mart is open as opposed to other clothing stores which may not be.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:36 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Re: Russia

https://apnews.com/04e2df3928cd82fb385114685f14c373?
Quote:
Russia ramps up measures against coronavirus as cases grow

Spoiler:
MOSCOW (AP) — Russian authorities acknowledged Tuesday that a low number of coronavirus cases in the country could be a result of insufficient screening and warned that the nation must brace for the worst.

President Vladimir Putin donned a yellow protective suit to visit the top Moscow hospital treating coronavirus patients and conferred with officials on how to stem the outbreak. Hospital chief Denis Protsenko told Putin the country needs to “prepare for the Italian scenario.”

Russia has reported 495 cases and no deaths. Critics have argued for weeks that the numbers are too low for a country with a 2,600-mile border with China, blaming a low level of testing and a long tradition of hiding unpleasant truths.

At the same time the coronavirus was engulfing Europe, Putin ordered an April 22 plebiscite on constitutional amendments that could allow him to stay in power until 2036. But he also has said the vote could be postponed if the contagion spreads.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21B2F3

Quote:
Moscow's coronavirus outbreak much worse than it looks, Putin ally says

Spoiler:
MOSCOW (Reuters) - The mayor of Moscow told President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday that the number of coronavirus cases in the Russian capital far exceeded the official figures, as Putin donned a protective suit and respirator to visit a hospital.

Russian President Vladimir Putin wearing protective gear walks at a hospital for patients infected with coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on the outskirts of Moscow, Russia March 24, 2020. Sputnik/Alexey Druzhinin/Kremlin via REUTERS
The comments by Sergei Sobyanin, a close ally of Putin, were authorities’ strongest indcation yet that they do not have a full grasp of how widely the virus has spread throughout Russia’s vast expanse.

Russia has so far reported 495 cases of the virus and one death, far fewer than major western European countries.

Putin has previously said the situation is under control, but some doctors have questioned how far official data reflect reality, and the government on Tuesday closed nightclubs, cinemas and children’s entertainment centres to slow the spread of the virus.

“A serious situation is unfolding,” Sobyanin told Putin at a meeting, saying the real number of cases was unclear but that they were increasing quickly.

Testing for the virus was scarce, he said, and many Muscovites returning from abroad were self-isolating at home or in holiday cottages in the countryside, and not being tested.

“In reality, there are significantly more sick people,” Sobyanin said.

The government also said it would organise a return of its citizens from countries hit by the coronavirus if they wanted to come.

Meanwhile Putin donned a bright yellow full-body hazmat suit and respirator as he visited a hospital on the outskirts of Moscow that is treating coronavirus patients, and praised the doctors for their work.

Separately, two senior lawmakers including Vyacheslav Volodin, speaker of the lower house of parliament, proposed legislation to make flouting anti-virus quarantine measures punishable with jail time.

The bill would provide for up to seven years’ jail for actions that led to the death of two or more people, or up to three years for causing mass infection, the RIA news agency reported.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/...ay-jump-a69710
Quote:
Russia's Coronavirus Cases Surpass 1,000 in Biggest One-Day Jump

Spoiler:
Russia confirmed 196 new coronavirus infections on Thursday, bringing the country’s official number of cases up to 1,036 and marking the country's largest one-day increase in cases so far.

Russia said one more person had been killed by the virus in the past 24 hours, taking the total number of deaths to four.

NEWS
‘Serious Situation’ Unfolding With Coronavirus in Russia, Moscow Mayor Tells Putin
READ MORE
Russia’s officially reported numbers — which are still smaller than those in European countries — have sparked suspicion as they spiked in the past week. Experts warn that Russia's testing capacity is hampered by bureaucracy, while officials warn that the real number of cases is likely much higher.

Most of the new cases, 157, are in Moscow. This week, Moscow changed the way it counts its coronavirus cases, with patients considered coronavirus-positive upon a single positive test rather than having samples sent to a lab Novosibirsk for further verification.

Worldwide, the virus has infected more than 530,000 people and killed more than 24,000.

LinkedIn Profile

Last edited by campbell; 03-27-2020 at 07:06 AM..
Old 03-27-2020, 06:44 AM
SOA

Quote:
As of 3/28, China is barring ALL foreigners from China. Draw your own conclusions.
They resolved their outbreak and all their new cases are imported cases so it’s common sense.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:05 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Many countries are doing that, only allowing their own citizens in. Jamaica took it even further and closed their ports to all incoming passenger flights and ships; anybody can go out, but only cargo is allowed in.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/