Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 03-27-2020, 12:43 PM
Non-Actuary

We have a new leader atop the leaderboard.
Baldev Singh, a preacher, aged 70 from India managed to get around 40,000 people quarantined in the northern state of Punjab after refusing medical advice to self-quarantine following a trip to Germany and Italy. He has since died, but managed to do so after surpassing South Korea's notorious patient 31.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52061915

Louisiana pastor Tony Spell seems like a solid contender to challenge the record. However, he may struggle a bit as Louisiana doesn't seem to be doing a lot of quarantining...
https://globalnews.ca/news/6735471/p...e-coronavirus/
Old 03-27-2020, 12:51 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
We have a new leader atop the leaderboard.
Baldev Singh, a preacher, aged 70 from India managed to get around 40,000 people quarantined in the northern state of Punjab after refusing medical advice to self-quarantine following a trip to Germany and Italy. He has since died, but managed to do so after surpassing South Korea's notorious patient 31.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52061915

Louisiana pastor Tony Spell seems like a solid contender to challenge the record. However, he may struggle a bit as Louisiana doesn't seem to be doing a lot of quarantining...
https://globalnews.ca/news/6735471/p...e-coronavirus/
I chuckled twice and then started crying.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:53 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Whole thing seems completely impossible, even if people cooperate, which is also iffy. Completely baffling to me how SK could make this work.
SK is not that "free" of a country, at least in mind and spirit. NPR had a few interviews yesterday (I think), and they were all "we do what we are told by the government." There are enough Americans who will not do what the government tells them to do, on principle alone. And that's bad during a pandemic.
(See La. pastor, above.)

Your diary is a good example of this. 7-11 and CVS. Or any place with a door handle that you are required to touch. Those numbers on the Debit card reader?
Trust me, my contacts are probably the same as, or worse than, yours. I was the only one at the Jamba Juice yesterday, but I still had to open the door (with my jacket sleeve).

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-27-2020, 12:56 PM
SOA AAA

Mississippi Governor has expanded the definition of essential businesses greatly. Overriding local shelter in place rules.

https://www.mississippifreepress.com...-covid-19.html
Old 03-27-2020, 12:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
Like others implied, I would think the staff members illness has probably resolved by now. And anyone who got it from that individual would probably have been showing symptoms if they were going to by now.
Oh, I'm not at all worried about that. Just was shocked that it took 12 days to get a positive back.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:59 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I thought there was talk of doubling every 3 days. So by next Friday it could be over 400K and by 4/10 over 1.6M.

I'll go with the 400K by 4/3 but only 1M by 4/10.
I included optimism that distancing and shut downs start working, but I think your numbers are in a realistic range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 03-27-2020, 01:02 PM
Defending the AO since 2007
SOA AAA

Studying for GHDP-A
College: Hard Knox U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
No, he's the herd. He'll be protecting the others.
TIL jackasses travel in herds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
I'm not the sharpest tool on the AO, but I'm comforted by the idea that no matter how vapid and incoherent my arguments are that there may be a kernel of truth buried somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pac Shakur View Post
i am broken and incapable of thought and a bunch of other stuff
Old 03-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I'm not sure I understand how this is ever possible. And I'm aware that SK has done it (or claims to), so I assume it's possible, but if I found out that I had it, I've been tracking all my activities, here's my complete interpersonal activity for the last 10 days:

Tues saw GF, had food delivered, picked up food, went into a couple stores
Wed saw GF
Thurs none
Fri grocery store with a friend
Sat food delivery guy
Sun none
Mon CVS & 7-11 & food delivery guy
Tue 7-11 & saw GF
Wed none
Thurs grocery store with a friend
Fri none

So, personal interactions in the last week have been two people, my GF and a friend - obviously if I tested positive, I would notify them immediately.

But what about the food delivery guys and people at grocery, 7-11, CVS? I could never even guess at who all I met, never mind that so many people go into 7-11, quarantining everybody who went there is effectively quarantining the world.

Whole thing seems completely impossible, even if people cooperate, which is also iffy. Completely baffling to me how SK could make this work.
SK used cell phones a lot. Anyone testing positive would send alerts to phones of anyone they had been near, telling the to isolate. It would also send alerts to any phones nearby if anyone with an active illness was nearby.

That is definitely illegal to do in the US, so would require the use of emergency laws.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:07 PM

Italy's daily reported case numbers still holding below their March 21 peak, but no sign of significant decrease yet either. Perhaps regional numbers would tell different stories for north vs. south. Biggest daily death toll yet breaking 900.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Went to the healthweather site, which is tracking fevers, essentially

snapshot:

Not sure how this data was gathered, but I saw something similar where the manufacturer of a digital thermometer was collecting data. If it's a similar method, the results might be misleading. I know, for example, my wife who works in healthcare (not frontlines) is checking her temperature every day before work out of caution. So there are almost certainly many more healthy people taking their temperature right now than under normal circumstances. Also people who are scared and getting it checked where they normally wouldn't during a normal flu season.