Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 03-27-2020, 02:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Too true...
Attached Images

Last edited by Fish Actuary; 03-27-2020 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: To -> Too
Old 03-27-2020, 05:13 PM
CAS

A "parade" just went down my street. It was a bunch of cars, driving slowly. Each car was decorated (with construction paper and stuffed animals, mostly) and each was full of people, mostly kids, presumably family groups. The signs said things like "thank you" or had rainbows or hearts or other upbeat designs. A few flags. They drove slowly, and honked and waved.

It must have been an official town thing, because at the end there were a pair of police cars. Probably at the beginning, too, although I only went to my doorstep to watch partway through. The cars were spaced pretty far apart. Family clusters of my neighbors stood near the edge of the road and waved back. I stood on my doorstep, well away from the road. But I waved, too.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:40 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
A "parade" just went down my street. It was a bunch of cars, driving slowly. Each car was decorated (with construction paper and stuffed animals, mostly) and each was full of people, mostly kids, presumably family groups. The signs said things like "thank you" or had rainbows or hearts or other upbeat designs. A few flags. They drove slowly, and honked and waved.

It must have been an official town thing, because at the end there were a pair of police cars. Probably at the beginning, too, although I only went to my doorstep to watch partway through. The cars were spaced pretty far apart. Family clusters of my neighbors stood near the edge of the road and waved back. I stood on my doorstep, well away from the road. But I waved, too.
My wife's aunt had a birthday yesterday, so some family members drove past slowly past her house and honked and yelled out birthday wishes for her. Her birthday is important to her (one of those types who starts planning stuff months in advance for it,) so she was quite moved.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 PM
CAS

had a very nice zoom dinner with my mom, sisters, nieces, nephews, and their live-in +1's
Old 03-27-2020, 05:51 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

I see on Facebook that NYC is having a citywide clap for healthcare workers 7PM tonight.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:53 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

The Prancer just made his usual run by my house. He's a jogger who lands on the balls of his feet instead of his heel. One time, he and his girlfriend/wife jogged by in matching leopard print tights.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:19 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Positive thought: nobody is trying to hug me anymore. I'm not a hugger, and I don't like close contact with people who aren't family, never have really. But most people are more affectionate, so I've conditioned myself to provide the expected social response and hug back as if I really mean it.

I feel like I'm getting a break from a stress I didn't know I had.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:53 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
The Prancer just made his usual run by my house. He's a jogger who lands on the balls of his feet instead of his heel. One time, he and his girlfriend/wife jogged by in matching leopard print tights.
Is that the "Jealous?" emoticon?

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-27-2020, 07:08 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Positive thought: nobody is trying to hug me anymore. I'm not a hugger, and I don't like close contact with people who aren't family, never have really. But most people are more affectionate, so I've conditioned myself to provide the expected social response and hug back as if I really mean it.

I feel like I'm getting a break from a stress I didn't know I had.
I hope people are still reluctant to spring hugs in others long after this ends, because hugging is a major stressor for me. Thanks Aspergers!
Old 03-27-2020, 07:11 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Is that the "Jealous?" emoticon?
I do wish I were slim enough to pull off tights. Maybe not leopard skin, but a tasteful pattern and colour.