Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 03-24-2020, 04:42 PM
CAS SOA

College: SUNY Broome
Default EL on Adapt

Hi all,

I was scheduled to take my first exam tomorrow but it got postponed due to Covid-19. However, I feel as if it was meant to be because I have been stuck on EL 6.1 for a week and a half! No matter how long I take to go over what I got wrong on the practice exams I always end up around 17-19 questions correct. How do I break this curse?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:49 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

I passed all of my prelims and I don't know that I ever got above a 6. Maybe on P I got a 7. Just keep focusing on your weak areas (do quizes!) and try to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:29 PM
SOA

Don't just go over what you get wrong on the practice exams, go over what you did right too! The Adapt solution may be more efficient than yours and learning that method could save you time on the test. Even if you had the same solution as Adapt, it's good to reinforce the concepts you're grasping correctly.

How do you "go over" what you get wrong on the practice exams? What worked well for me when I was going through prelims was to make a flash card for the formula or concept I missed. Then review all flash cards daily (or use a spaced repetition software like Anki). You want to understand the question well enough so that if a similar question comes up again, you'll be sure to solve it efficiently and correctly.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:43 AM
CAS SOA

College: SUNY Broome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexioXela View Post
Don't just go over what you get wrong on the practice exams, go over what you did right too! The Adapt solution may be more efficient than yours and learning that method could save you time on the test. Even if you had the same solution as Adapt, it's good to reinforce the concepts you're grasping correctly.

How do you "go over" what you get wrong on the practice exams? What worked well for me when I was going through prelims was to make a flash card for the formula or concept I missed. Then review all flash cards daily (or use a spaced repetition software like Anki). You want to understand the question well enough so that if a similar question comes up again, you'll be sure to solve it efficiently and correctly.
Say I got 11 questions wrong, I go to every question that was incorrect and watch the video and follow the written solution. Once I did that for every problem then I start from question 1 and redo every problem I got wrong until I can get it right. Once I go through all thirty questions I take a short break then I redo the problems I got wrong on the old exams and then return to the most recent to re-attempt the incorrect problems. I know thats a process but it was working fine up until I got to level 6.

I was thinking that since I have so much time until I can take the exam I should just relearn the topics that I consistently get wrong. Tedious? Yes. Will it work? Maybe. But I have time so why not try?

I have never thought of going over the problems I get right. Some of them are so easy to me (normal approximation, transformations, discrete distributions) what I am really struggling with is Bivariate Uniform, deductibles (even though policy limits and coinsurance is close to 90% correct), and random variables.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:30 PM
SOA

That seems like a process that should work. I think especially on an exam like P when you have enough time, it's good to relearn the topics you consistently get wrong so that you can eventually get topics across all topics right reasonably well.

As far as reviewing problems you get right goes, I don't mean spend time re-solving, watching solution video, etc. I just mean that you should make sure the numerical answer perfectly (aside from rounding differences) matches your solution (as opposed to checking just the answer range), and perhaps quickly glance at the written solution to see if it's a different more efficient solution than yours. Certainly reviewing questions you get right should take less time than reviewing questions you get wrong.

Sometimes on practice tests my answer was in the right answer range (A/B/C/D/E), but I got the wrong numerical answer and it was due to my solving incorrectly. Other times I spent 6 minutes on a problem with a 2 minute solution, so once I saw that I learned the quicker formula. Those are the kinds of things you're looking for if you review the problems you get right.

Tags
adapt, earned level, probability