Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-29-2020, 01:12 PM
CAS

Default COVID-19 Protection and Defenses Articles

wanted to start a new thread specifically on how to protect yourself and family from contracting the disease

i'm providing a link to a ~1hr video of a Cornell Pulmonary & Critical Care physician talking to his family about the practical steps to take to protect self and family.

i found this very informative and hopeful. this isn't a slick production from teevee doctor - this is from a guy practicing in NYC who deals with COVID-19 patients all day every day. his hospital has 1,200 beds and they're all currently occupied with reserved for COVID-19 patients. he has the knowledge and experience and credibility.

i STRONGLY encourage you to watch.

the link will take you to a page with a written summary and the embedded video

https://www.wesmoss.com/news/an-impo...dr-dave-price/

Last edited by yoyo; 03-29-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Old 03-29-2020, 01:43 PM

Did you check this out? Seems off, would love to hear some of our experts that are following this closely.

This in particular:
Quote:
To contract the virus, you must have sustained contact with someone who has it with or with someone who is going to get the disease with one to two days and has yet to show symptoms. “Sustained” contact means 15 to 30 minutes with someone in a very closed environment."
is not what I've been hearing.

Also, he says to avoid ibuprofen, which came from the French health minister, and The Who has said that there's no reason to believe that ibuprofen is a problem.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:00 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Good thread.

This is extremely basic, but the #1 thing people can do - wash your hands - with video instructions:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...-gupta-vpx.cnn

--------
Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
his hospital has 1,200 beds and they're all currently occupied with COVID-19 patients.
I think this may not be correct. From the article:
Quote:
"All 1,200 beds in his hospital are for COVID patients"
(not "All 1,200 beds are full with COVID patients")

Cuomo said this morning that there are currently, 8,500 hospitalizations from COVID-19. NY State has 40,000 beds, excluding all of the work they've put in to double/triple this capacity in the next 15 days. So if a 1,200 patient facility is completely full - then they're doing a bad job allocating patients.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:18 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Good thread.

This is extremely basic, but the #1 thing people can do - wash your hands - with video instructions:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...-gupta-vpx.cnn

--------
Also:

I think this may not be correct. From the article: (not "All 1,200 beds are full with COVID patients")

Cuomo said this morning that there are currently, 8,500 hospitalizations from COVID-19. NY State has 40,000 beds, excluding all of the work they've put in to double/triple this capacity in the next 15 days. So if a 1,200 patient facility is completely full - then they're doing a bad job allocating patients.
i edited the post - thank you

and thanks for the hand washing link
Old 03-29-2020, 02:34 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Also, he says to avoid ibuprofen, which came from the French health minister, and The Who has said that there's no reason to believe that ibuprofen is a problem.
The effect of ibuprofen on people with this virus has not been scientifically verified with placebo tests and peer-reviewed studies and all of that, but there's enough anecdotal information out there, including statements from doctors who've observed what happened to their patients who took ibuprofen, to convince me to avoid taking it if I think I have Covid-19.
"...there are two different types of Christianity. One is a movement of people who want to live and be like Jesus. The other (and far more common, far more powerful) is a civil and political religion that is simply named Christianity. The civil political religion named Christianity is addicted to both political power and violence, and thus finds the message of Jesus offensive." https://www.patheos.com/blogs/former...it-looks-like/
Old 03-29-2020, 02:36 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

I found this link to be quite informative:

https://youtu.be/L89nN03pBzI?t=15s
Old 03-29-2020, 02:42 PM
CAS

This is just a side note, but if you're thinking about not using ibuprofen, just make sure you know about some of the dangers of acetaminophen. I know most of you have heard that Tylenol and alcohol combined can severely mess up your liver, but every now and then I run into somebody that hasn't.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:46 PM
CAS

College: JHU

Wear masks
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....us-claims/amp/
Old 03-29-2020, 03:09 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
The effect of ibuprofen on people with this virus has not been scientifically verified with placebo tests and peer-reviewed studies and all of that, but there's enough anecdotal information out there, including statements from doctors who've observed what happened to their patients who took ibuprofen, to convince me to avoid taking it if I think I have Covid-19.
Me, too. I don't plan to take Tylenol, either. Nor aspirin, nor anything else that dampens my immune response.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Man View Post
This is just a side note, but if you're thinking about not using ibuprofen, just make sure you know about some of the dangers of acetaminophen. I know most of you have heard that Tylenol and alcohol combined can severely mess up your liver, but every now and then I run into somebody that hasn't.
There's also the fact that even without alcohol, Tylenol has a fairly low fatal dose to therapeutic dose ratio. Europe requires that it be sold in blister packs rather than bottles to reduce the risk of accidental OD.