Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-30-2020, 03:12 PM
CAS

Default Casual app during covid to allow private table

Bunch of my buddies and i play poker once a month or so but due to covid, obviously cannot.

We were thinking of using zoom and a poker app like Poker heat. But this sounds like a duct taped solution. Anything better?

Trying to recreate the back/forth banter , hence the zoom.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:15 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

following
Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 PM
Non-Actuary

In
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 03-31-2020, 11:19 AM
Non-Actuary

PokerStars has a "Home Games" feature that allows you to create a private club. I ran a series of tournaments for the AO a couple years back using that. Payouts/Buyins can be done through venmo. You'll probably need Zoom or Discord or something if you want video banter, but Stars at least has a chat box.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:03 PM
SOA AAA

Hard to find apps that will deal stupid-ass wild card games.

Popular games in my weekly (friendly) table:
H/S -- high spade in the hole gets half the pot, lowest-valued card in the hole is your wild card, and any like it in your hand are wild as well.
Follow The Queen -- queens wild, and the value of the card following the most recently exposed queen is wild.
Baseball
Draw -- with deuces and sometimes one-eyed jacks wild.
Draw -- jacks or better to open, else reverts to low-hand-wins.
Pass the trash -- dealt eight cards; pass two to your left and two to your right; toss three cards, put the rest in some order, all reveal one card at a time. High-Low-Pig.
7/27 -- Dealt two cards, one up one down. Each round ask for a card or pass; betting rounds end when no one takes a card; closest to 7 wins half, closest to 27 wins half.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-31-2020, 05:37 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

College: Umass
Favorite beer: Root

I second pokerstars. It's easy to at least join a home game and play. It does take some getting used to and isn't as full of banter as irl. It is more fun than playing with anonymous people on the internet or complete strangers irl, imo.

Last edited by Alpha12; 03-31-2020 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: why argue?
Old 03-31-2020, 05:49 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
PokerStars has a "Home Games" feature that allows you to create a private club. I ran a series of tournaments for the AO a couple years back using that. Payouts/Buyins can be done through venmo. You'll probably need Zoom or Discord or something if you want video banter, but Stars at least has a chat box.
Thank you for this.
Not understanding the bold...do you have to funnel the money through poker stars? or are you saying we can do money on the side via venmo?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:11 PM
SOA AAA

On the side. That's how it was done. Means you have to know people and/or trust them to pay up for tourneys or cash games (not sure who would keep track of cash games, though).

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-31-2020, 06:18 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

College: Umass
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Hard to find apps that will deal stupid-ass wild card games.

Popular games in my weekly (friendly) table:
H/S -- high spade in the hole gets half the pot, lowest-valued card in the hole is your wild card, and any like it in your hand are wild as well.
Follow The Queen -- queens wild, and the value of the card following the most recently exposed queen is wild.
Baseball
Draw -- with deuces and sometimes one-eyed jacks wild.
Draw -- jacks or better to open, else reverts to low-hand-wins.
Pass the trash -- dealt eight cards; pass two to your left and two to your right; toss three cards, put the rest in some order, all reveal one card at a time. High-Low-Pig.
7/27 -- Dealt two cards, one up one down. Each round ask for a card or pass; betting rounds end when no one takes a card; closest to 7 wins half, closest to 27 wins half.
These games, and any other are possible with the use of TableTop Simulator. It's a platform available through Steam. You can have a 3d table, deck of cards, and chips and play any game you wish. It's hard to explain, here's the site : Tabletop Simulator
Old 03-31-2020, 06:48 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha12 View Post
These games, and any other are possible with the use of TableTop Simulator. It's a platform available through Steam. You can have a 3d table, deck of cards, and chips and play any game you wish. It's hard to explain, here's the site : Tabletop Simulator
Is everyone who wants to play required to buy the software?
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto