Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 12-10-2017, 02:07 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Dallas
Default Dark on Netflix

This is a well-conceived & executed time travel story in 10 parts.

One annoying thing about it:
Spoiler:
They have DNA testing in 2019. This would have explained a lot if they ever used it.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:43 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

I watched episode 1 over the weekend and am trying to watch episode 2, but I think Iím too tired to give it the focus it needs. Maybe Iíll make more progress this weekend.

My husband canít get past the dubbed English, so heís tapped out. That also makes it harder to find the time to watch, since we mostly watch tv together.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:23 AM
Non-Actuary

I'm going to try to get weaselette to watch this. is it scary? she gets freaked out by scary stuff.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Non-Actuary

Just finished this series last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've delved into a few time travel stories before and this one seemed a bit different in a sense, without going into too much detail.

The cast of characters was a big plus for me; they seemed very realistic in their motivations and actions, though the Mrs. seemed to dislike that aspect. I can discuss further if anyone is interested.

As with other time travel plots, I felt I understood a lot of the theories presented in the story - though the more I thought about them, the less they made sense. Gotta love paradoxes.

The only real negative I can think of besides the total feeling of mind**** (which was expected) is that it took a bit of time to get used to the dubbing (a criticism that seems to be shared by others). However, with the Netflix binge model I was able to watch a few in a row and hardly noticed it by the third episode.

In any case, I give this a very big recommendation for anyone interested in any of the mystery, crime, sci-fi, or drama genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Moore View Post
This is a well-conceived & executed time travel story in 10 parts.

One annoying thing about it:
Spoiler:
They have DNA testing in 2019. This would have explained a lot if they ever used it.
Not sure what you mean in your spoiler.
Spoiler:
What mystery would DNA testing have solved? They didn't use it much back in '86 from what I understand, so I doubt the body found in '19 would have matched any stored samples.

Maybe I missed what you mean here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triweasel View Post
I'm going to try to get weaselette to watch this. is it scary? she gets freaked out by scary stuff.
I wouldn't say so. There are tense parts, maybe a few jump-moments throughout the whole series, but mostly just a foreboding feeling. I think she should be fine.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:47 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
Not sure what you mean in your spoiler.
Spoiler:
If they checked the DNA on the body of the boy found in the woods in Episode 1, they would have identified him as Mads Nielsen.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Moore View Post
Spoiler:
If they checked the DNA on the body of the boy found in the woods in Episode 1, they would have identified him as Mads Nielsen.
Spoiler:

But that's assuming they had a DNA sample from Mads to compare against. I'm not so sure they would have thought to grab a sample in 1986 and preserve it in evidence for 33 years, but I suppose I could be wrong about that.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
Spoiler:

But that's assuming they had a DNA sample from Mads to compare against. I'm not so sure they would have thought to grab a sample in 1986 and preserve it in evidence for 33 years, but I suppose I could be wrong about that.
Spoiler:
Or a close living relative such as Ulrich or Jonas.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Non-Actuary

I thought of that, but put yourself in their (episode 1) shoes...
Spoiler:

You have a young kid's body that was discovered, and no reason at all to assume it was Mads. No one knew about time travel at this point yet, how could anyone possibly have imagined the body was from 33 years ago given it's lack of decomposition?

I have a multitude of other questions about this show too, but I assume they will address most of them in S2, which has been greenlit.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:28 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

I like the series alot. One thing I noticed is that the English dub sucks. Setting audio to German (not with german description) and English subtitles improved my experience immensely.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:04 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedipus rex View Post
I like the series alot. One thing I noticed is that the English dub sucks. Setting audio to German (not with german description) and English subtitles improved my experience immensely.
I wish I had done this tbh. I got used to the dub but man, there were some REALLY bad voice actors (Regina in particular sticks out for me).