Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
43. The Mistborn Series, by Brandon Sanderson

1st trilogy finished. I loved them. 2nd trilogy set 50 years later became a quadrology (is that a word?); not sure if done, but it's good too. 3rd series coming also.
Second trilogy is set 300 years after the first. First three books are done, fourth should drop next year. There's not only a third Mistborn series planned, but a fourth as well.
Quote:
71. The Way Of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson
part of a nine-ology. first 2-3 books done. My 2nd favorite "active" series. Next book due in November.
There'll be ten books total, not nine.

Last edited by vividox; 05-23-2020 at 09:42 AM..
Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Second trilogy is set 300 years after the first. First three books are done, fourth should drop next year. There's not only a third Mistborn series planned, but a fourth as well.

There'll be ten books total, not nine.
thank you for the edits. Viv, for those who don't know, is the AO's foremost expert and fan of all things sanderson.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:25 PM
CAS

Someone on reddit asked for fantasy recommendations. He compiled them all into a fantastic google doc. It's a great guide for me, as I've not read everything on that list. I'm sure it would be useful for others, especially given our recen discussion.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:25 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

Here's a few fantasy lists I compiled late in 2019; hardly comprehensive, and no commentary: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1760298616
Old 05-23-2020, 04:27 PM

Finished Song of Achilles early this morning, and added the Aeneid and Aeschylus's Oresteia to my near-term TBR (after I finish Persuasion I think).
Old 05-26-2020, 07:11 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
thank you for the edits. Viv, for those who don't know, is the AO's foremost expert and fan of all things sanderson.
Can I get a badge for that?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:38 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Someone on reddit asked for fantasy recommendations. He compiled them all into a fantastic google doc. It's a great guide for me, as I've not read everything on that list. I'm sure it would be useful for others, especially given our recen discussion.
Oh, very nice. And I especially liked this bit:

Quote:
Series Status
Basically, contains any information regarding the status of the series. How many books there are, if it is completed, if there are extra books, stuff like that. All of this information is AS OF MAY 2020.
I do not want to waste my time with unfinished series anymore.

I realize I need to be more specific.

There are series where there's an overarching plot line that's not yet finished (like GOT). I'm not dealing with those.

Series where it's essentially a world with a set of characters, and you have self-contained books set in that world [like Discworld], then "finished" only means the author has died [like Discworld]. I'm fine with those sorts of "unfinished" "series"

LinkedIn Profile
Old 05-26-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Oh, very nice. And I especially liked this bit:

I do not want to waste my time with unfinished series anymore.

I realize I need to be more specific.

There are series where there's an overarching plot line that's not yet finished (like GOT). I'm not dealing with those.

Series where it's essentially a world with a set of characters, and you have self-contained books set in that world [like Discworld], then "finished" only means the author has died [like Discworld]. I'm fine with those sorts of "unfinished" "series"
I make three exceptions for my 'no longer read unfinished series' rule that I started after Patrick Rothfuss happened.

1) Series that I'm ok not finishing. e.g. I read the first Dragonriders of Pern trilogy. It was fine, and I'm glad I read it, but I don't have to read every book she and her children wrote in the universe. I DO want any books I read to have a satisfying conclusion (e.g. I read the first couple Realm of the Elderlings trilogies, and each trilogy ended in a satisfying conclusion). I'm a big fan of trilogies where the first book tells a complete story, and was only extended to a trilogy because it was popular.

2) New authors who need sales to even get a book 2/3. Though I do tend to wait for recommendations (e.g. Locus magazine or other online reviewers I trust) before I make my initial purchase. Though, I may buy the book but not actually read it until the trilogy is done.

3) Authors I trust from the past to be able to meet their deadlines. I haven't read any Sanderson yet, but I'd trust him at this point. N.K. Jemisin has put out two trilogies in a timely fashion, so I had no problem reading her new book 1.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:23 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus Naturae View Post
2) New authors who need sales to even get a book 2/3. Though I do tend to wait for recommendations (e.g. Locus magazine or other online reviewers I trust) before I make my initial purchase. Though, I may buy the book but not actually read it until the trilogy is done.
Links to your fave online reviewers?
Old 05-26-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Links to your fave online reviewers?
A bunch of people I follow on twitter and reddit.com/fantasy, mostly, ha. I follow too many people on twitter to cull the list down right now, but as I see threads I'll make a note to list them all.

I don't usually add something to my pile just because it's recommended, but when I get the same recommendation from many sources, I'm rarely let down.