Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #151  
Old 09-11-2018, 04:00 PM
svobodny svobodny is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
College: University Of Wisconsin-Madison
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
I failed with a 5, but I'm not worried in the slightest as I didn't give this exam anywhere near my best effort.

If there's one thing about this sitting that is frustrating, it's the fact that there was one question that was very easy to do, but gave me fits because I was under time pressure (less than 3 minutes to solve). I ended up guessing, remembering all of the details and then solving the problem easily when I got home. Even more frustrating, was the fact that my error seemed to come from too much practice/experience as opposed to not enough. If I'd gotten that one question correct, there's a decent chance that I pass this sitting. I'm already knee deep in studying for MAS-I, so I'll finish that through and jump back to this one in November.

Congratulations to everyone who passed and to those who failed, we'll get this in November.
If you had time constraints on an easy question I recommend the following solution:
When going through the exam there are three different categories for questions:
1.You can do them, and under 6 min to do them. If this is the category that the question fits in, then complete it immediately.
2.You can do them, but think itll take greater than 6 min, mark the question and move on to do it later.
3.You aren't sure if you can do the problem, leave blank and do not mark.

After doing all questions in category 1, then you can go and review marked, and then circle back for the unmarked, unanswered ones. This way you are optimizing your knowledge and time.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 09-11-2018, 04:03 PM
svobodny svobodny is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
College: University Of Wisconsin-Madison
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbjhawk View Post
Somehow passed with a 9! I will say I did have an advantage compared to most candidates as I took two classes Spring semester, one covering derivatives pricing and the other corporate finance. Along with that, I got a Coaching Actuaries subscription for their online videos and manual as well as Adapt. For those of you who are no longer in school, I would personally recommend using Coaching Actuaries as their online videos are excellent at explaining the material. The actual exam distribution was also quite different from Adapt, but I'm confident with enough feedback they've honed it in by now. Good luck to anyone sitting in November!
I agree the distribution of Adapt was different than the actual exam, although I felt more like the SOA didn't closely follow weights of the syllabus, at least for my exam.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 09-12-2018, 01:55 PM
bravesandfalcons bravesandfalcons is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
College: Georgia State University
Posts: 256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svobodny View Post
If you had time constraints on an easy question I recommend the following solution:
When going through the exam there are three different categories for questions:
1.You can do them, and under 6 min to do them. If this is the category that the question fits in, then complete it immediately.
2.You can do them, but think itll take greater than 6 min, mark the question and move on to do it later.
3.You aren't sure if you can do the problem, leave blank and do not mark.

After doing all questions in category 1, then you can go and review marked, and then circle back for the unmarked, unanswered ones. This way you are optimizing your knowledge and time.
I'll try to keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip.

I think what happened was that I thought I knew it, so I started, then realized that I didn't after a few stubborn attempts and moved on and came back. I kept making the same mistake and wasn't taking the time to think through the problem.

Hopefully, I'll be better at diagnosing these problems the second time around.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:35 AM
actuarybee actuarybee is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by We've_got_Dodgson_here! View Post
For those who passed with a 7 or higher, what was your strategy for studying and what materials did you use?? I didn't pass this time and I know my first step is putting in more time, but hearing your strategy/materials could be a huge help to those of us sitting again in November. Thanks in advance and congrats!
I passed with an 8. I found the texts particularly helpful. I mainly bought these because when I wanted to start studying the manuals weren't out yet. I also used ADAPT. I started getting really paranoid at the end of studying because I kept getting the same questions over and over on ADAPT. I had a 9 by the time of the exam which I felt was undeserved because I knew answers just because I had seen the questions before but I guess it was at least mostly deserved?


Edit: Those T/F questions sucked.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 09-14-2018, 04:47 PM
psynergist psynergist is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
College: Georgia State University
Posts: 13
Default

The July 2018 IFM exam results by percents is available on SOA's website now.

July 2018
N = 1572
Pass Mark = 68%
% Passing = 49.7%
% Effective Passing = 52.2%


March 2018
N = 2774
Pass Mark = 72%
% Passing = 49.2%
% Effective Passing = 52.5%


A slightly lower pass mark might reflect a slightly poorer average performance by candidates on the July offering. But pretty similar stats overall to the March offering I think.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 AM
We've_got_Dodgson_here!'s Avatar
We've_got_Dodgson_here! We've_got_Dodgson_here! is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Erie, PA
Studying for IFM
College: Grove City College alum
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harb1sj View Post
I studied for this exam in a similar fashion to FM and P, granted a bit more refined now that I've been through it a few times.

I started studying in early May and used the ACTEX Exam IFM manuals, reading through each chapter and completing most if not all of the practice problems (referring to the answer keys when necessary). Toward the tail end of the manuals, I just wanted to get into ADAPT as soon as possible so I skipped a significant amount of the practice problems.

I then took as many exams as I could in ADAPT (coachingactuaries.com) leading up to exam day. I'm not exactly sure what my earned level was the night before, but somewhere around a 6.5 is my guess. The week before the exam I would also spend some time doing quizzes in ADAPT to focus in on specific areas I was performing poorly in.

Ended up passing with an 8, and will be moving on to STAM in February. Probably using CA or TIA video lessons for that exam though, rather than going straight out of the study manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
I used CA bundle + SOA sample question. If you learn better through video lessons, I strongly recommend CA - their video lessons are great. I generated quizzes after each lesson, but I only set the level of difficulty <5 because my goal was to go through the material as quick as I could. After that, I did all SOA sample questions. Then finally ADAPT. I marked all questions that I did wrong and redid them later.
My advice is don't focus on the earned level alone. The distribution of the actual exam (at least in my case) was very different from ADAPT. So don't assume that certain topics are minor and less likely to appear on the exam.
Hope that helps, and good luck on your Nov sitting
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbjhawk View Post
Somehow passed with a 9! I will say I did have an advantage compared to most candidates as I took two classes Spring semester, one covering derivatives pricing and the other corporate finance. Along with that, I got a Coaching Actuaries subscription for their online videos and manual as well as Adapt. For those of you who are no longer in school, I would personally recommend using Coaching Actuaries as their online videos are excellent at explaining the material. The actual exam distribution was also quite different from Adapt, but I'm confident with enough feedback they've honed it in by now. Good luck to anyone sitting in November!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torene View Post
I got an 8, with this being my third sitting (first two were both 5s...)

I used TIA + Corporate Finance book to learn the material. Since this was not my first sitting, I already had a grasp of which of the MFE areas I was weak on (lognormals in my case - I think I could've gotten a 7 on either of the previous exams if I had put more time into them earlier).

For practice problems, I mostly used ADAPT and the SOA sample problems. The SOA sample problems were especially useful for the exam.

I coordinated my work provided study time + some additional PTO to where I had roughly 1.5 weeks off of work prior to the exam. I think this had a bigger impact to my passing than anything else I did. Every day I would get up, run through some of my notecards, do an EL exam, review the EL exam making new notecards for formulas that I didn't get right, run through more notecards (including any I got wrong that morning), do a couple quizzes on topics I got consistently wrong on that morning's EL exam, do any remaining notecards, and finish by watching videos on concepts I was struggling with (while making more notecards).

This schedule wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't been able to take the time off of work though, but it turned out pretty well for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarybee View Post
I passed with an 8. I found the texts particularly helpful. I mainly bought these because when I wanted to start studying the manuals weren't out yet. I also used ADAPT. I started getting really paranoid at the end of studying because I kept getting the same questions over and over on ADAPT. I had a 9 by the time of the exam which I felt was undeserved because I knew answers just because I had seen the questions before but I guess it was at least mostly deserved?


Edit: Those T/F questions sucked.
Thank you to all of you passers that shared your study strategy!
__________________
FM | P | MLC | IFM | STAM | PA
Fin | Econ | Stats
FAP |APC

LP | LFV | LRM
Reg/Tax | ERM | FinEcon | DMAC | FAC
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 10-08-2018, 06:52 PM
theBrownsAreComing's Avatar
theBrownsAreComing theBrownsAreComing is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 30
Default

Sorry if this isn't allowed. Those that took this exam - what topics do you wish you studied more? And what topics were you like "damn I spent hours on this topic and it didn't even show up".

Asking for November folk!
__________________
GPODAWUND

P FM IFM job
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.14001 seconds with 10 queries