Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Design and Accounting Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Design and Accounting Exam Old Retirement Company/Sponsor Perspective (nation-specific) Forum

Old 09-20-2018, 12:24 AM
SOA

Studying for RET DAU

Is anyone else struggling with some of the SOA solutions?

For example, Fall 2014 #3, they're using 10 years for the amortization period. Where in the problem were we told that it's 10 years? Or is that a general exam condition?

EA-2F EA-2L
FSA Modules: SI FE
Old 09-29-2018, 11:48 PM
CAS SOA ASPPA

College: UCLA
Favorite beer: Corona

One one hand it is really good that the exam solutions are so thorough. However, do our responses need to be that level of complete (like 10 bullet points for a 1 point problem)? Does anyone here know how what a sufficient response size would be per point?

Also, do they really expect us to be able to quote that much from each and every ASOP?

I mean, what is reasonable of the exam committee to require.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:15 AM
SOA

College: Penn State

@ohmymath

For Fall '14 #3, I agree there is nothing in the given info that says what the average future working lifetime of the plan is. 10 years is a reasonable assumption in practice, but the SOA failed to identify it as an assumption in the solution they published. In general, I would say that if the AFWL is absent, then use 10 years, but also specify in your solution that you assumed 10 years because the AFWL wasn't specified.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:15 PM
SOA

Studying for RET DAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabram09 View Post
One one hand it is really good that the exam solutions are so thorough. However, do our responses need to be that level of complete (like 10 bullet points for a 1 point problem)? Does anyone here know how what a sufficient response size would be per point?

Also, do they really expect us to be able to quote that much from each and every ASOP?

I mean, what is reasonable of the exam committee to require.
I want to know this too. Often times I feel like I'm answering the question, but then when I compare to the solutions, I'm nowhere close to hitting all of their points.

EA-2F EA-2L
FSA Modules: SI FE

Last edited by ohmymath; 10-15-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Old 10-14-2018, 11:01 PM
SOA

Can someone explain how a Net Transition ASSET works with regards to settlements and curtailments? I am confused on this. For settlements, the same % of the Unrecog g/l that is recognized is also applied to the NTA? And for curtailments, we just include the NTA as part of the Net Gain? Does any portion of the NTA get recognized under a curtailment?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 AM
SOA

College: Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmymath View Post
I want to know this too. Often times I feel like I'm answering the question, but then when I compare to the solutions, I'm nowhere closer to hitting all of their points.
Time is always a huge factor on these written exams, so it's important to get your main points down, but then I would move on to the next question. Your total score will be higher if you get all the main points written for every problem, rather than providing extra detail on some and not enough detail on others. You will not have time to write down everything you know for every problem.

P.S. I passed this exam on the first try two years ago. Although I passed with a 6, so take my advice with the appropriate number of grains of salt.

Last edited by dxs326; 10-15-2018 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: More detail