Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Quantitative Finance and Investment (QFI) track > QFI Advanced
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 10-18-2013, 05:57 AM
SOA

Default What's your plan for the remaining days

there is not much time left.
how are you preparing for the Exam QFIA?
and any advice for the few days left?

ASA;
Investment Track: FETE QFIA
Modules: F&H
DMAC FAC FSA!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM
SOA

Studying for QFI Adv
College: Portland State University Alumni
Favorite beer: Dry Stout

How am I preparing?

One thing that I am doing is skimming through all of the materials on the syllabus and looking for examples and problems. I think these are places where the exam committee is likely to get inspiration for problems. It is also a good way to check that I have understood the material--that is being able to quickly follow the examples.

Aside from that I am reviewing the outline that I wrote daily. I am working through my stack of flashcards. I am also working through past problems and the PAK Exam aid questions/quiz again.

Any advice?
Work problems under time constraints and as "real" of test conditions as you can. Part of this examination is reading and writing under time pressure.

Think through what a question is asking for by reviewing past exams and the SOA guide to written exams.
Think about words like:
(retrieval)
define, list, state

(comprehension)
apply, approximate, calculate, derive, describe, explain, interpret, identify, sketch, summarize, verify

(analysis)
analyze, assess, compare/contrast, critique, evaluate, explain or interpret

(knowledge utilization)
Construct/create/design/develop, evaluate, justify, propose/recommend, revise

What is your tactic now?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereme View Post
How am I preparing?

One thing that I am doing is skimming through all of the materials on the syllabus and looking for examples and problems. I think these are places where the exam committee is likely to get inspiration for problems. It is also a good way to check that I have understood the material--that is being able to quickly follow the examples.

Aside from that I am reviewing the outline that I wrote daily. I am working through my stack of flashcards. I am also working through past problems and the PAK Exam aid questions/quiz again.

Any advice?
Work problems under time constraints and as "real" of test conditions as you can. Part of this examination is reading and writing under time pressure.

Think through what a question is asking for by reviewing past exams and the SOA guide to written exams.
Think about words like:
(retrieval)
define, list, state

(comprehension)
apply, approximate, calculate, derive, describe, explain, interpret, identify, sketch, summarize, verify

(analysis)
analyze, assess, compare/contrast, critique, evaluate, explain or interpret

(knowledge utilization)
Construct/create/design/develop, evaluate, justify, propose/recommend, revise

What is your tactic now?
Thank you Jereme!
i'm reviewing in this way.
according to each learning outcome, i will try to make monic questions and try to answer them, there are only 3 days left.

there are still some readings that i don't understand well, i just give up.

ASA;
Investment Track: FETE QFIA
Modules: F&H
DMAC FAC FSA!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 AM
SOA

Studying for QFI Adv
College: Portland State University Alumni
Favorite beer: Dry Stout

Which onese are you struggling with?

I've been reviewing th ereadings and learning more each time. This morning I am reviewing the Time Series readings for instance. There are a lot of forumlas that look intidmidating (with matrices) but are not really that complicated in concept.

I have spent a lot of time on the interest rate model material, and I cannot profess that I am an expert yet. That material I think is by far the most technically challenging.

One other thing I have done is to identify each equation on the formula sheet. This has helped me see what is supplied (and what is not). It has also been helpful to find equations that I do not understand and then read more about them. With all of the formulas on the sheet, one skill will be the ability to pick the appropriate formula I suspect.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:20 PM
SOA

Studying for FAC

The one reading I've been procrastinating on is the fabozzi PA ch 69-71. Way too bland. I think I'm going to give it a quick readover review and focus on very high-level understanding and the qualitative features. I hope they don't drill down too much into that material.