Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:09 AM
SOA

College: UCI
Favorite beer: Stone Enjoy By
Default Revised Resume seems slightly empty

I posted one without the format a few weeks ago and got some advice. Had to deal with death in family so just now got around to editing the darn thing.

Is this too blank? I realize most hiring managers are going to see through a lot of the BS, so I put as little fluff into it as possible.

Thanks to all for the help. This board is awesome.
Attached Files
File Type: doc ducklundgrenresume.doc (45.0 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by DuckLundgren; 01-31-2017 at 02:29 AM..
Old 02-01-2017, 05:02 PM
CAS

Studying for ever.
Favorite beer: Long Trail Ale

I get the sense that you whipped this up in less than 10 minutes. Content could be improved, but the format is worse IMO. It's very plain font/bullets/etc and feels very off-balanced (to the left). I suggest reviewing some resume examples on Google. I.e. all bolded words & larger font are only on the left side of the page.

You probably don't need bullets under each section. I'd just use bullets for the description of each job. Speaking of which, you could put a blank line between each job to space it out. Education could be spread out with some parts of it right justified.

I feel like you put in very little effort here, so don't expect much effort in return. My sympathies for the loss in your family, but an HR filter isn't going to know or care.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:49 PM
SOA

Thanks ichbinnreine for the blunt honesty. I actually do appreciate it.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckLundgren View Post
I posted one without the format a few weeks ago and got some advice. Had to deal with death in family so just now got around to editing the darn thing.

Is this too blank? I realize most hiring managers are going to see through a lot of the BS, so I put as little fluff into it as possible.

Thanks to all for the help. This board is awesome.
.... I think its a great resume. idk what the above poster is talking about, but the resume is short and concise. No fluff. I would hire you 10/10.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:34 AM

looks ok for an EL for a new college graduate-have your exams and gpa at top and have omitted the fluff b.s. format on the dates should be improved to at least line up at the right margin, looks a bit sloppy the way it is. Question that comes up that you need to answer either in resume or cover letter is why you've been at supermarket since you graduated?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbinnreine View Post
I get the sense that you whipped this up in less than 10 minutes.
It does have the feel of a rough draft. That being said,

you have a tough gap to fill from 2015 to present with just a clerk job. Recent exam passes are a big plus, and I like that they are listed first. You could list musician above retail work so your story would seem more like "spent time after college touring with bands and doing cool stuff" instead of how it currently reads: "been working at grocery store for 3 years".

You list a lot of technical skills, but don't really list anything to back up that you have any experience with them.

some of your jobs have no description. while we dont want to read 5 bullets about a retail job, have at least 1 if you want to list it.

I would treat what you posted as a rough outline. Rearrange things, reformat things, add some more descriptions and try to tell a story here.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:35 PM
CAS

Studying for ever.
Favorite beer: Long Trail Ale

Quote:
Thanks ichbinnreine for the blunt honesty. I actually do appreciate it.
I'm glad you took it well! Sheltering you won't help you get a job, so I went with my honest first impressions as if it landed in my resume stack.

I do think you have enough content to stretch it out and come up with something decent. It's just a matter of formatting & how you describe your experiences.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actexp View Post
looks ok for an EL for a new college graduate-have your exams and gpa at top and have omitted the fluff b.s. format on the dates should be improved to at least line up at the right margin, looks a bit sloppy the way it is. Question that comes up that you need to answer either in resume or cover letter is why you've been at supermarket since you graduated?
I was accepted into the Peace Corps to teach math abroad, but had some family responsibilities come up. I felt I couldn't abandon them at the time, and I reneged on the candidacy. Call me overly loyal to my people. Do you think that should be included in a cover letter, or omitted since I did not follow through? The supermarket job has benefits and permits me to take off time whenever to travel with my band, in addition to the post graduate 'what in the hell do I do with my life' mentality.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartke View Post
It does have the feel of a rough draft. That being said,

you have a tough gap to fill from 2015 to present with just a clerk job. Recent exam passes are a big plus, and I like that they are listed first. You could list musician above retail work so your story would seem more like "spent time after college touring with bands and doing cool stuff" instead of how it currently reads: "been working at grocery store for 3 years".

You list a lot of technical skills, but don't really list anything to back up that you have any experience with them.

some of your jobs have no description. while we dont want to read 5 bullets about a retail job, have at least 1 if you want to list it.

I would treat what you posted as a rough outline. Rearrange things, reformat things, add some more descriptions and try to tell a story here.

Good luck.

Thanks Hartke. I have been taking The Infinite Actuary's Technical Skills course that teaches these materials using actuarial examples. I figured I would put something about taking initiative to teach myself the common programs/languages in a cover letter? Good idea?
Old 02-02-2017, 04:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
Thanks Hartke. I have been taking The Infinite Actuary's Technical Skills course that teaches these materials using actuarial examples. I figured I would put something about taking initiative to teach myself the common programs/languages in a cover letter? Good idea?
you could also list the class explicitly on the resume so the programming skills have some backing.

Tags
advice, entry level, entry level resume, resume advice