Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2016 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 11-05-2017, 06:30 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA
Default Life & Health Qualifications Seminar 2017

Anyone attending the LHQ Seminar in a couple weeks?

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 11-07-2017, 05:49 PM

College: Missouri State University
Favorite beer: Southern Tier Imperial IPA

I am. Taking a look at the reading material - what did I get myself into?
Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
I am. Taking a look at the reading material - what did I get myself into?
Pretty much. Some of it is familiar, but I definitely won't have time to make it through all the background readings.

Don't forget about the slides/presentation that were e-mailed recently!

Old 11-19-2017, 01:59 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer

For those working in life valuation & reserving, whether you are planning to be (or are) an appointed actuary or not, I highly recommend attending the Life & Health Qualifications Seminar sometime.

There are a lot of positives to speak about for this seminar:
- The volume of reading is intimidating (1,500 pages "required" reading, another 3K of optional reading), but most are good reference points for your work in valuation.
- The presentations manage to take that wide bank of information relevant in our industry (ASOPs, AGs, model regulations, Life & Health Valuation Manual, the Valuation Manual (not the same as the previous item), state regulations, developments in laws, etc.) and organize it in a fairly digestible manner over a few days.
- The case study sessions to dive deeper into some of the more intricate issues of Life & Health are extremely valuable - not just because you get to test yourself on the application of regulations, principles & laws, but you also get to discuss them openly with other actuaries with varying backgrounds. At the end of it all, you get to hear from instructors that are often times privy to the development of why these laws/principles in place, so you get context that is otherwise absent.

The one drawback may be that for the test at the end of the seminar, you'll need to learn about Life & Health, regardless whether you practice in Life or Health. Finding about the ACA and how Medical Loss Ratios, Medicare Part D and Pharmaceutical Rebates work (and enter the Orange Blank) was interesting, but I imagine very few life actuaries are having to opine on those. But, the current rule for being qualified for Specific Annual Statement SAO's via this test is to be knowledgeable about Life & Health, so that'll currently stand. (I will say that of the 3 days, arguably more than two days are devoted to Life and the Blue Blank, so I imagine Health actuaries have a bigger complaint here.)

Just some thoughts for anyone considering this in the future.