Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > SoA Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 PM
SOA

College: University of Michigan, class of 2014
Question [Need Advice] Attempting two FSA exam

I took ERM Exam last Fall and the result is obviously not out yet (I don't feel optimistic though...)

Say in worst case scenario where I fail the exam, I'm thinking whether it's possible to study two FSA exam at the same time (i.e. do revision for last exam and study for a new one). It just feels empty if I'm just doing revision for the next 4~5 months without new material.

If your advice is to just focus on the last exam, how should I fill the void I will feel for the next 4~5 months?

Anybody tried this before? Any advice whether it's possible to do so?
Old 12-01-2016, 01:39 PM
SOA

I definitely would not recommend taking two FSA exams at once. There's so much content on each one, there's no way you could remember everything. You'd probably end up getting a 4-5 on each instead of just passing one. Especially considering that the SOA loves to throw in a few questions that are just pure memorization - it's hard enough to memorize all those lists for one exam, let alone 2!

If you don't want to spend 4-5 months studying for ERM again, use the extra time to complete 1 or 2 FSA modules, assuming you haven't done them yet. If you do them now, you can move on to the DMAC and the FAC as soon as you pass your last exam.

Good luck either way!
Old 12-01-2016, 01:52 PM
SOA AAA

College: trump university alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by yihang View Post
I took ERM Exam last Fall and the result is obviously not out yet (I don't feel optimistic though...)

Say in worst case scenario where I fail the exam, I'm thinking whether it's possible to study two FSA exam at the same time (i.e. do revision for last exam and study for a new one).It just feels empty if I'm just doing revision for the next 4~5 months without new material.

If your advice is to just focus on the last exam, how should I fill the void I will feel for the next 4~5 months?

Anybody tried this before? Any advice whether it's possible to do so?
Studying for two fellowship exams at once is a terrible idea.

If you fail ERM it's because you didn't understand the syllabus at the required level. How 'new' it is when you study again is immaterial.

Most companies want to see you pass exams. They are not concerned with someone breaking speed records, particularly if excessive studying risks are taken. There's no rush to reason to be so hurried that you would ever need to double up on fellowship exams.

I'm hard-pressed to think of a company that wouldn't toss someone from the study program if they signed up for two FSA exams at the same time and failed both, if they even approved that probable waste of money in the first place.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:47 PM
SOA

College: University of Michigan, class of 2014

Thanks for the advice guys. Sometimes I just want to stretch myself and see how far I can go :P

I think I will heed the advice and keep it one exam at one time, maybe I'll focus on my modules first.

Thanks again
Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I'll tell you what I'd do if I had a million dollars

...two exams at the same time

Damn straight, I've always wanted to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.