Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Risk Management Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: HofBrau
Default PAK LRM Online Seminar - Fall 2018

Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone's summer (or winter) is off to a great start and you are all enjoying a bit of life outside of the exams. Results will be released on 7/13/2018 so it's time to announce the Fall 2018 PAK LRM Online Seminar. Although it is early, we already have students signing up and ultimately, the longer you can give yourself with this material, the better! Don't let the size of LRM fool you; this exam has historically been tough. The material is a bit more abstract than the other ILA exams and I've found that the longer students have with it, the quicker they reach that 'a-ha' moment where it all clicks into place.

First thing’s first: What’s new for the Fall 2018 Online Seminar? We have a number of LRM syllabus changes so that means new videos! You'll notice there is an increased emphasis on economic scenario generators for this sitting... a topic/theme discussed at length in the online seminar. These videos are already finished and are currently being uploaded to the site this week. So we are 100% ready for Fall 2018. Outside of new videos, the primary focus for online seminar updates will continue to be on past exam questions.

Past exam questions are a great way to see how the material has been and can be used on the exam. Seeing how a topic has been asked on an exam while learning it better prepares students for the exam. Making exam questions part of your daily study routine will get you more accustomed to the style and format of the exam. And what better way to do this than to weave exam questions into the videos themselves... We’ll learn a topic and then immediately see how it’s been used on the exam.

One of the distinguishing features of the PAK Online Seminar is that over 75% of the videos for syllabus readings have one or more past exam questions included. Since the LRM exam is 'relatively' new, I expect this number to rise with each offering. By the time October rolls around and other students are starting to look at past exams for the very first time, my students will have been used to seeing exam questions (and how to respond to them) almost daily for the duration for the entire study period.

All of this is in addition to the 'Past Exam Question' section of the online seminar where you can watch videos for selected exam questions in their entirety. With these videos, we'll be going over the correct solution as well as the best way to approach the question overall within the context of the entire exam.

Additionally, we'll also be adding and expanding the audio flash cards for the ILA material (see Francis' post for full details)... which were introduced last sitting and were a big hit among students!

To the full product...

The PAK Life Risk Management Online Seminar includes
1) Comprehensive presentations of each reading discussing content, main ideas, testable topics, and key past exam questions
2) Strategy section with videos discussing study strategies and exam-taking strategies
3) Videos for exam questions demonstrating how to approach and answer a question in its entirety
4) Case Study Strategy video
5) Condensed outlines for each syllabus reading
6) 150+ Original Practice Problems
7) Complete video library on demand - video formats are compatible with all smartphones and tablets
8) All videos available in audio (MP3) format
9) PAK forum access & Full time email support (This IS my full time job)

Online Seminar video samples:
View LRM Video Lesson Sample
View LRM Exam Question video Sample
View Strategy Section video Sample
Video formats are compatible with all smartphones and tablets

Release Schedule
* All videos are available NOW

I am responsible for the Online Seminar and Francis takes the lead on the Study Guide (+its add-ons). This dynamic holds for all 3 of the ILA exams. Francis and I have been working together for years (in our prior jobs and with PAK) and have continued to do so with all of our ILA products to bring you a set of cohesive, well-rounded products that work together while giving you access to the insight and strategies of two experienced instructors. Our goal is very simply take you step-by-step through the ILA exams and get you your FSA as quickly as possible.

As always, DM me any questions or drop me an email at garrycapko@pakstudymanual.com

I hope you enjoy the samples and I look forward to working with you all this sitting!

View PAK Products
Life Pricing: Sample #1, Sample #2, & Sample #3
Life Finance and Valuation: Sample #1 & Sample #2
Life Risk Management: Sample #1 & Sample #2

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore
Old 08-06-2018, 11:24 AM
SOA

Hi Everyone,

As we begin August, LRM activity will soon be kicking up into full gear. If you haven't started studying yet, not to worry; you'll still have plenty of time. However, a word of caution for those taking this exam: even though it is much smaller than the other 2 ILA exams, don't underestimate it. For most actuaries, the material is more abstract than what our math brains are typically used and I recommend giving yourself more time with the material so that you can organically reach that 'a-ha' moment where it all starts to come together (this is much harder to achieve during crunch time).

LRM had a healthy amount of syllabus changes this sitting... specifically with an increased focus on economic scenario generators, which have now been given their own section in the Online Seminar. All PAK products are fully updated and available for purchase at these sites:
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore

Next... I talked a lot about past exam questions in my previous post. As the LRM Online Seminar continues growing, I want to point out a subtle yet important detail about how the LRM Online Seminar is structured with regard to examples… and more specifically past exam questions.

The PAK Online Seminar incorporates practice problems and past exam questions in three distinct ways:
1) Directly in the Video Lesson: Where the past exam question or practice problem directly illustrates a concept from a particular reading, it will be worked into the video for that reading. The goal here is to gain a deeper understanding of the material via detailed worked examples. With this approach, we see how the material can be used on an exam as we learn it.

2) ‘Past Exam Question’ Section: This is a separate section of the Online Seminar that looks at past exam questions as a whole. These videos are crucial to learn how to approach FSA exam questions in the most efficient way. The goal here is learning how to best answer each question to maximize points in an exam situation. When used in conjunction with the videos in the ‘Strategy’ Section, which discusses exam questions/structure from a general stand point… you’ll be in the best position possible to write answers that maximize points on exam day.

3) Original Practice Problems: This set of 150+ original practice problems written by Eddy Chan comes with the Online Seminar. Eddy is the founder of PAK and has seen TONS of exam questions over the years. He has helped hundreds of students pass exams with his unique ability to anticipate and write original practice problems.

All of these tools work toward getting you to the final goal of passing the exam. Having a solid understanding of the material is an obvious point… but knowing how to use that material to best answer questions on the exam is an area of study that sometimes gets overlooked. Throughout my career I have met quite a few actuaries who knew the material inside and out yet had a lot of difficulty passing FSA exams (and sometimes the FAP too) because they didn’t know how to write answers that maximize points.

Visit the PAK LRM homepage to view our samples and see the full range of PAK products.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

View PAK Products

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 AM
SOA

To all students (especially students new to FSA exams)– I highly encourage you to visit the PAK LRM homepage and have a look at the detailed product descriptions for each product that we offer.

For example, one product that I really wish I had when I was taking exams is the PAK Test Aid. I think that we can all agree that working past exams was a large part of the study process for the preliminary exams. As many of these exams are multiple-choice, there is little subjectivity in the grading: you get the question right or you don’t; if you get the question wrong, you have a solution that objectively takes you from the beginning to end.

As we transition from a multiple-choice world to an essay based world… working through past exam questions becomes much more subjective… especially the qualitative exam questions. Further, given the time constraints of the FSA exams, we typically don’t aim for full points on every single question. In fact, aiming for partial credit on some questions is a viable exam taking strategy. (Deciding WHICH questions you should aim for partial credit is something I discuss quite often in the Online Seminar)

As a student, it’s difficult enough to put yourself in an FSA exam-like environment. Taking this a step further, how do you then assess your responses? The PAK Test Aid aims to help you improve your responses and maximize the number of points you can earn on the exam. Knowing HOW to write your responses is such a critical component to passing FSA exams… and it’s also something that students find most difficult about these exams.

View PAK Products

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore