Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Non-Actuary

College: St. Cloud State
Unhappy First Job Advice

Hello!

I'm here look for advice about my fiance's search for his first job.
Here's the situation: In May he will have graduated from Drake University with his actuarial sciences degree, and two tests passed. Last summer he interned with Farm Bureau. GPA around 3.93.

He has interviewed with a handful of companies, plus many at a school job fair. A total of around 16 interviews if you count the job fair. All of these have been in the Des Moines, or Twin Cities area, where we would prefer. All of this and no job offers on the table. School career services is even surprised, and have said he interviews well.

He's becoming very discouraged. Is there any advise or incite out there that may help?
Old 01-24-2017, 03:59 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsi-Fiance View Post
Hello!

Here's the situation: In May he will have graduated from Drake University with his actuarial sciences degree, and two tests passed. Last summer he interned with Farm Bureau. GPA around 3.93.

He has interviewed with a handful of companies, plus many at a school job fair. A total of around 16 interviews if you count the job fair. All of these have been in the Des Moines, or Twin Cities area, where we would prefer. All of this and no job offers on the table. School career services is even surprised, and have said he interviews well.

He's becoming very discouraged. Is there any advise or incite out there that may help?
GPA is solid. Two exams is a little light, but probably workable (he'd have better prospects with a couple more exams). School itself is mostly irrelevant in this field if the exams are there.

Actuarial jobs tend to be geographically clustered in a few spots. New York, Chicago, and Boston, for instance, have a lot of actuarial jobs, while other cities, even the large ones, have fewer actuarial jobs. Small to medium cities have even less. Expanding the search geographically may help.

Did the internship place offer him a full time job? If not, why not? Was it something he could control, or something more related to lack of open full time slots. Also, why are you posting this for him? Could it speak to a lack of motivation on his part?
Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Hello!

First, he's more likely to find a job the more geographically flexible he is. There are never many actuarial employers in a given place/area. You should seriously consider moving somewhere else for a job. Once he's got some work experience behind him, it'll be easier for you to move back to where you want to be.

Second, he needs more than two exams. Two is a bare minimum, not a sufficient number anymore. A third exam and the VEEs passed would be better.

Third, look for smaller companies. Job fairs usually attract larger companies. It can be harder for smaller companies to attract new talent; you're not going to do exciting things, and you can max out a position after three years. Plus they may not pay as much as larger companies. But they're a place to start.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 01-24-2017, 05:17 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

16 interviews should be enough to get an offer. Something has to be up... maybe needs to work on interview skills, pass another exam (but no more) or both.

I agree that after a while you need to open up geographically. Long term, it will inhibit your career growth to stay put. Just trust me on that one.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:26 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

16 interviews in an area where you want to live? That's way more hope than most people trying to land an entry level actuarial position.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:28 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Try going through this.

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ad.php?t=46382

Not a huge deal but try redacting where he worked/went to school in your first post. To preserve anonymity,

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Let me expand on the advice I gave in the other thread. If he doesn't have drive to do this research himself as a graduating senior, he does not have the drive to be successful at most jobs in this field.

If he does not have enough drive to do the research himself and you do it for him in hopes he will eventually wake-up, you will likely emasculate him and cause problems for your future marriage.

I suggest reading this thread http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=318079

Old 01-25-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Hello!

You didn't mention timing or whether he got explicitly turned down for all 16, or just hasn't heard back anything definite from some. If the latter, note that some companies have x number of EL slots for next May/June hires, and might be bringing in 2x candidates over a 2-3 month period and then deciding on which ones they will make offers to. Plus, this process can extend depending on people accepting or declining job offers (sort of like wait list to get into Harvard)
Old 01-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for my annual dental checkup

Advise him to create an account on here. Spend about 3 years investing in digital relationships with the people on the forum. That's what I suggest. It's not going to help him find work but it will be a magical 3 years. When 3 years has passed, we'll have a goodbye party for him. We'll occasionally talk on the phone after that but our lives will drift apart as he starts a family in another state. Years down the road, I'll be swaying in my rocking chair on my porch thinking, I wonder what Bill is up to. I'll find Bill's old house phone number and call it. Someone will pick up the phone but it's not bill. I ask, where's bill? They will say, I'm so sorry dear but he passed away surrounded by friends and family years ago. I will feel a tinge of sadness. I'll stare off into the Texas pastures for a good hour thinking about the good times Bill and I shared. Then it will be dark and I'll go to bed. I'll miss you Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
don't let good advice go to your head.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:43 PM
SOA AAA

Here's some advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by top of the General Actuarial Discussion Forum
General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.
i'll be moving this soon.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.

Tags
advice, first job, help us