Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM
CAS

Question Shall I find a job? Or go to Actuarial Grad School?

Hi Everyone,

I am stressed about what my next step should be. Please give me some advice Thank you very much.

My Background:
I graduated in May 2016 and am currently working for a small family office as an investment analyst. I didn't take exams in college due to the lack of study time, but have now passed P and FM and will be taking March 2017 MFE and May 2017 Exam S. I was planning to go the CAS path because I don't know which track I should choose if I do SOA. My current job is okay for now, but there is uncertainty in the next couple of months regarding my visa sponsorship, etc. and my job is completely unrelated to the actuarial field.

I tried searching for some job openings online about two weeks ago, but the experience was awkward because 1) I am technically no longer a student, but in this field I am not an "experienced." 2) Almost all the jobs posted on any company's website under "experienced" required 3+ years of experience in the actuarial field (even the jobs with an "analyst" title, which I thought would be more entry-level).

Questions:
1) If my goal is to become an actuary, shall I leave my current job and go into the field as soon as possible? If so, shall I start job searching after I pass more exams (maybe after passing MFE and S)? My original plan was to work for my current company until I finish FCAS - is this a horrible idea? For people who switch into actuarial from other fields, how did you manage this transition and could you share some of your experience?

2) I am also looking at some graduate programs in actuarial sciences. This idea came to me because by doing so I can fall into the "student" category again when I graduate and not worry about the transition... Is getting a master's degree helpful/recommended?

Thank you very much for reading this and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone can share their opinions on any of my questions. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 PM

"I was planning to go the CAS path because I don't know which track I should choose if I do SOA. "
This seems like a very bad decision process.

"My original plan was to work for my current company until I finish FCAS - is this a horrible idea? "
Yes, horrible.

"Is getting a master's degree helpful/recommended?"
No

You don't seem to know much about how this profession works. Recommend that you just read through a bunch of threads in this forum, especially those that are stickies in the "Employment" section, and also those in my signature block (among others). Spend a few hours (or more) on this and then come back and any questions you still have are likely to be a lot better than the ones you asked here.

Be aware that a fair amount of the threads are people posting sarcasm or site-specific memes, etc - you'll figure that out eventually, but could be pretty confusing at first.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 PM
CAS

Okay I'm not gonna look at graduate schools then. I'll use that time reading threads here.

And it looks like I should act soon to find an actuarial job. I'm gonna fix my resume a little bit tonight according to the advice in your resume thread.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

"I was planning to go the CAS path because I don't know which track I should choose if I do SOA."

Sounds like you'd do the General Insurance track if you went SOA.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 02-22-2017, 01:25 PM
CAS

College: ITT Tech

what was your major? typically people get the grad actuarial degree because their undergrad was unrelated
Old 02-22-2017, 01:26 PM
SOA

job. /thread
Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
what was your major? typically people get the grad actuarial degree because their undergrad was unrelated
Or because their undergrad GPA was terrible.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM
CAS

If you're paying to go to grad school rather than someone paying you, you're doing it wrong.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:55 PM
SOA

College: Applied Math PhD from a university in NJ
Favorite beer: Allagash White

Any time there are two options posed and the second is "should I go to Actuarial Grad School?" the answer is always the former.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:24 PM

I agree that you do not need to go to an actuarial master program.

You probably would search for a position under an "actuarial development program" in a large insurer. But if you need visa sponsorship, it could be a problem for some companies. Consulting might be more willing, but I am just guessing. Just be upfront on this and don't waste time.

Prior experience in investment might be a plus, if the company happens to need someone with such experience (depending on what you do as an investment analyst).

Tags
advice, career, exam, jobs, machine learning, predictive modeling, school