Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 03-08-2017, 04:18 PM
SOA

So you didn't do summer internships... what *did* you do over the summers?
Old 03-08-2017, 04:34 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
So you didn't do summer internships... what *did* you do over the summers?
OP probably took summer classes and got horrible grades in them to make sure his/her resume ends up at the very bottom of trash cans of companies. Seriously, why did OP choose to become an actuarial science major if he/she wasn't going to do the things required to become an actuary? That's like saying "I want to become a doctor. I have a low GPA. I also have a low MCAT score. I also hate the sight of blood and other people. How many med schools will accept me if I spend the next 3 months attempting to fix all of these things when I had an entire 4 years of college to do this?"

It would have been much wiser to be literally any other major and gain some sellable skills from that major.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Non-Actuary

College: 4th year

Wow, you guys are brutal. I appreciate the honesty though. Really, I hate sugar-coating.

Let me clear up a few things:
-I don't really care if you know that I go to OSU, I just didn't think mentioning it was necessary.
-What did I do over the Summers? I did take some Summer classes as well as working nearly full-time to pay for my rent (the same job that I worked 15-20 hours/week during school). I did attempt to study some for the exams, but there wasn't much free time to do it (not impossible, but hard)
-In hindsight, I would have worked harder to get an exam done earlier as well as getting an internship. Like I said, I didn't really understand how essential they are until recently. In highschool, I was told that all you needed to do was graduate and pass 2-3 exams and you were guaranteed to have employers handing you jobs. I know now that this isn't the case

As for why I am still an Act Sci major, it's because I still thoroughly enjoy the subject matter. Yeah, I didn't get an A in Interest Theory, partly because I was juggling school with work and extra-curriculars, and also because I do NOT excel in the classroom setting. But I think that's a bad reason to quit. I saw plenty of my peers dropping out of math and engineering majors, an opted for "easier" majors. I didn't want to do that l.

I've always told myself that I won't quit because it's hard, but I will quit if I lose my passion or interest in the subject. That hasn't happened yet. When I actually do have free time and am studying myself with the ASM manual, I learn much easier and enjoy it. I still believe that this is the best field for me. Yeah, I am not the best candidate right now, but what other option do I have? Switch to being a philosophy major? That would definitely not raise my chances of finding work.

Now, regarding internships, can someone explain why an employer would not want to hire a recent grad to be an intern who has 2 exams and 3.0 from a good university? You're literally as qualified or more qualified than the other interns, only you have a diploma in your hand. Maybe i'm missing something here?

Last edited by Catholibertarian95; 03-08-2017 at 07:53 PM..
Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 PM
CAS

underwriting maybe if you like the insurance aspect. this is a really weird career path to choose if you aren't good at studying for/taking exams though
Old 03-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

The fact that OP is asking these questions as an AS major this late in college should say a lot about the AS department of the school imo. Although maybe not given the GPA.

In any case, your questions aren't unique to your situation--they've been covered here repeatedly.

As for your most recent question wrt interns, you can Bing for answers: https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-compa...rnship-program

Last edited by Abelian Grape; 03-08-2017 at 08:14 PM..
Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 PM
CAS

Added "i need somebody" and "not just anybody". Please finish the lyric chain. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:36 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholibertarian95 View Post
Now, regarding internships, can someone explain why an employer would not want to hire a recent grad to be an intern who has 2 exams and 3.0 from a good university? You're literally as qualified or more qualified than the other interns, only you have a diploma in your hand. Maybe i'm missing something here?
The flaw in your logic is that companies don't just hire interns to make widgets. In fact all the work an intern does could be done far quicker and with less oversight by any analyst with a year experience. It's that they not only want the work done, they want a chance to get a look at people they'll likely hire, which is why internships often turn into job offers.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
The flaw in your logic is that companies don't just hire interns to make widgets. In fact all the work an intern does could be done far quicker and with less oversight by any analyst with a year experience. It's that they not only want the work done, they want a chance to get a look at people they'll likely hire, which is why internships often turn into job offers.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

However, I still don't quite understand why a company would prefer a student intern. If I can do the same work more quickly and for the same pay, and also have the option open to become a full-time employee (as well as the option to not if my performance is poor), then what's the downside? It just seems like a win-win.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:56 PM
CAS

Because with a degree you should already be looking for full-time roles. One of the appeals of this field is that you can jump into it right out of college.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
underwriting maybe if you like the insurance aspect. this is a really weird career path to choose if you aren't good at studying for/taking exams though

I really do like the math side of insurance. I know that sounds like I'm being naive, but I really do. The times that I do sit down and study the material, it all makes sense and I find it really interesting. It's the combination of not having a lot of free time and that I hate studying (in general terms). I guess part of it is that I am always studying for school (including classes that I don't care about), that I just don't fee like studying on top of my coureload, even if it's something i'm genuinely interested in.

In hindsight, I would have taken a Summer off completely (no working, no classes) and knocked out an exam. It would have probably paid for itself in the long run.

But that's the past. What should I do now?

Tags
advice, clueless, entry level, help!, help!!, help!!!, i need somebody, internship, michigan, not just anybody, ohio state, student