Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-09-2017, 12:08 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Agree with "clueless".
I added "clueless" to the tags.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:09 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
I added "clueless" to the tags.
I like how OP used a placeholder for his school name in his first post and now his actual school name is a tag
Old 03-09-2017, 12:14 PM
CAS

tough love for OP
Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
He has a funny way of spelling Michigan in his profile
Well,

According to Wikipedia, the Toledo War ended in a military stalemate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

But one person from the Michigan militia was wounded, so the edge goes to Ohio.

Then again, the Upper Peninsula gained from Michigan is rich in resources, edge goes to Michigan.

Then again, Toledo, Ohio, is of comparable size population-wise to the UP and more modernized -edge goes to Ohio.

Who won in the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
find an easier (and completely legitimate) path.
And this is important. Lots of other career paths out there than actuarial. Some even make more money, have more prestige, and are more interesting. Although we are unmatched in terms of interesting online discussion.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:25 PM

OP make sure to reread NormalDan's posts. There is really good advice in there.

Ohio has lots of actuarial companies, so if that is also your home state then location should work for you.

Summer Intern - its late in the game, but try to land one for this summer. Maybe you get lucky and there are still a few openings.

You showed up really late to the party, but that doesn't mean you still can't have a good time. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:32 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Well,

According to Wikipedia, the Toledo War ended in a military stalemate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

But one person from the Michigan militia was wounded, so the edge goes to Ohio.

Then again, the Upper Peninsula gained from Michigan is rich in resources, edge goes to Michigan.

Then again, Toledo, Ohio, is of comparable size population-wise to the UP and more modernized -edge goes to Ohio.

Who won in the end?

Consensus is that Michigan won the war. The economic benefit of the UP far out weighs losing Toledo.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:34 PM

Toledo is more "modernized"? Have you been to Toledo?

Not sure how leaving the other guy with Toledo, even when you have Detroit, can be considered "losing".
Old 03-09-2017, 12:37 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholibertarian95 View Post
However, I still don't quite understand why a company would prefer a student intern. If I can do the same work more quickly and for the same pay, and also have the option open to become a full-time employee (as well as the option to not if my performance is poor), then what's the downside? It just seems like a win-win.
My company doesn't even consider candidates who are not planning to return to school in the fall for an internship position. The logic is that they should be looking for a FT position, and if they happen to find one 3 weeks into the internship, they're going to bail and we're left with no intern. We've also had issues in the past (admittedly distant past) with graduates who interned who weren't good at taking "no" for an answer regarding the possibility of extending the internship into the fall or turning it into a FT position. (I would have no problem with this conversation, but then I'm less tactful/fearful than some folks).

Regardless of whether you think the above scenarios are likely or valid, why bother even chance-ing it when we always have a good size pool (3-5x as big as we need) of sophomores/juniors with decent GPA's and an exam or two.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
My company doesn't even consider candidates who are not planning to return to school in the fall for an internship position. The logic is that they should be looking for a FT position, and if they happen to find one 3 weeks into the internship, they're going to bail and we're left with no intern. We've also had issues in the past (admittedly distant past) with graduates who interned who weren't good at taking "no" for an answer regarding the possibility of extending the internship into the fall or turning it into a FT position. (I would have no problem with this conversation, but then I'm less tactful/fearful than some folks).

Regardless of whether you think the above scenarios are likely or valid, why bother even chance-ing it when we always have a good size pool (3-5x as big as we need) of sophomores/juniors with decent GPA's and an exam or two.
I have never thought about it this way. Great post.

Tags
advice, clueless, entry level, help!, help!!, help!!!, i need somebody, internship, michigan, not just anybody, ohio state, student