Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 02-24-2018, 03:02 PM

Lots here and lots of good advice so far. My 2 cents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn4425 View Post
I have a few interviews but that was it, no job offered.
Do you have any idea why you weren't offered? If you got an interview, it's because the things on your resume (GPA, exams, etc) were good enough that you had a shot, then you didn't convince them to pick you. So, exams and such matter, but know that you have enough to get a job without improving on them if you can interview well.

Quote:
I know passing too many exams without any relevant experience is a disadvantage.
I hope that other things that you "know" are more true than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
I'm from the Twin Cities, but no longer going down the actuarial route. If you're around this area, feel free to send me a PM and we can do lunch or something.
I've made such offers a few times. People often take me up on such offers, but more often do not. I don't know why they don't, but assume it's based on their own insecurities or uncertainty about how to handle such things. I'll just say to the OP that this is a very generous offer and you're very foolish if you don't take the offer (assuming you're in TC, etc).
Old 02-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
You spent your first 2.5 college years pursuing computer science, and this is all you got?
I spent my first year choosing the major. I only spent 1.5 years on comp science. I actually know java and C as well but I can't remember them too much to be honest.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofants View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Someone who can pass 5 actuarial exams should find computer science pretty easy.
Yea lol. Maybe it's just me but I suck at coding. But somehow I find VBA and SQL a lot easier than java and C.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
I think there is still a reasonably good chance for you to land in actuarial if you are willing to be flexible, put in some work, and grind it out. It may take some time, so you will need patience. Don't expect it to be easy.

Most people realize that college kids goof up at times before they get themselves on track. You need to own your past and also show how you are different now: more mature, more focused, etc... You can't simply say these things. You need to demonstrate it in the interview.

Are you working full-time? If not, why? A full-time job defintely shows more maturity than someone sitting in their parent's basement. If you are working full-time, see if you can upgrade jobs toward something more applicable. Anything office related is helpful. Business analyst, underwriter, claims are all good things to try out.

You also need to be showing to potential companies that you are doing everything in your power to become a better potential hire. This doesn't mean spending 10 minutes practicing SQL on an online tutorial and then plopping it on your resume. Pick an actual data project that demonstrates what you can do and be able to talk about it. Once you finish that one, do another but definitely go for quality over quantity. Kaggle is a great place to find datasets.

Make an honest self-assessment of your confidence level. Make sure you are working on your social skills and industry knowledge as well. Make sure you are always personable when you do get interiews These things are all hard to improve on but keep them top of mind and do your best to practice.

If you can't or aren't willing to put in the work it takes, don't beat yourself up about it. Simply be honest with yourself. Actuarial aint everything. There are lots of careers out there. No point wasting your life chasing the wrong one.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice! I'll check out the Kaggle.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:34 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
I spent my first year choosing the major. I only spent 1.5 years on comp science. I actually know java and C as well but I can't remember them too much to be honest.
Have you thought about trying to get into a computer science program? There are all sorts of options available these days, including online degrees from universities, or boot camps.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 PM
CAS

Quote:
Yea lol. Maybe it's just me but I suck at coding. But somehow I find VBA and SQL a lot easier than java and C.
That makes more sense, and I can relate. I remember talking a C++ class my freshman year and I stunk at coding, but I can (and have) write SQL in my sleep.

ETA: Also, ignore the Ant King. He's a bit of a troll. There's no reason to assume that the knowledge and skills required to pass actuarial exams would necessarily transfer to coding, nor that coding is somehow "easier" than the prelims.

Last edited by Marcie; 02-24-2018 at 05:01 PM..
Old 02-24-2018, 05:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring Act View Post
Have you thought about trying to get into a computer science program? There are all sorts of options available these days, including online degrees from universities, or boot camps.
Have you read any of the rest of this thread?
Old 02-24-2018, 05:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Have you read any of the rest of this thread?
Yeah, my fault. You shouldn't try to pursue computer science if you suck at coding. I guess maybe I was thinking that the OP didn't try hard enough in his/her earlier years in college but now realizes what it might take to do CS.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:53 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
That makes more sense, and I can relate. I remember talking a C++ class my freshman year and I stunk at coding, but I can (and have) write SQL in my sleep.

ETA: Also, ignore the Ant King. He's a bit of a troll. There's no reason to assume that the knowledge and skills required to pass actuarial exams would necessarily transfer to coding, nor that coding is somehow "easier" than the prelims.
It's like how some people are good at calculus and probability but have trouble with graph theory or combinatorics.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:17 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I ate lunch with clarinetist once. You should take him up on the offer.

10/10 would lunch again, imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Tags
advice, career, job