Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-02-2016, 04:21 AM
CAS

Most companies ask if you would need sponsorship in the application process. And how many places have you applied to? To reiterate what has been said, NYC is crazy competitive... you might want to expand the scope of your search. I've applied to probably over 100 companies by now. Given, my resume is definitely weaker than yours... but still gives you an idea. Gotta be persistent/flexible.

And yeah, vjvj is crazy helpful. Good on you man, keep it up.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:25 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandroid28 View Post
And yeah, vjvj is crazy helpful. Good on you man, keep it up.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 PM
SOA

I assume you do not need sponsorship so you have got two internships in the USA so far. Other than that you should get some interviews if you submitted over 50 applications.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilyn View Post
I feel pretty lucky to get a response like this when I always see other new posters get trolled on AO. I'm going to make these edits right now!

And to show that i don't need sponsorship, should I add a bullet stating something along the lines of "sponsorship not required"?
Put that you are a U.S. citizen or a U.S. green card holder on the top of all sections depend on your situation.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:37 PM
CAS SOA

College: Clemson University

Gl, bro. Let me know if you want someone to grammar check your cover letters.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:27 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

In all seriousness, reading this resume makes me think that you're a pretty solid technical candidate who needs a some work on presentation skills. vjvj is pretty good at this, so take his opinions over mine. I'm not reading through all of his details, so some of this may be redundant.

Title:
Solid look here

Actuarial Exams:
1. Take out "Total Exams Passed" line.
2. Consider switching to a single line for "Passed exams P, FM and MFE" if you're running you run low on space making other edits. Since you're a fresh grad, we assume that these are recent passes.
3. Other bullets unedited
4. I assume that you have a second version for P&C.

Education:
1. BBA Finance, Minor in Finance. Saves a whole line
2. Unless your overall GPA is under 3.0, include it. "GPA: 3.0, Major GPA: 3.2" can be on a single line.

Experience:
1. This is your most important section because 2 internships will absolutely stand out.
2. Your first line for each job description should be defining your core job responsibilities. "Responsibility was to set reserves for the Northeast region" or something like that. If there wasn't one, then you need to think about this until you can figure out the closest thing that sounds reasonably good. If you think that's what you've done, you need to edit.
3. All of your bullets are tasks you performed rather than objectives you've achieved. Basically, don't tell us what it says on the button you pushed, tell us what happened after you pushed the button.
3. "Centralized database using SQL views and VBA to extract risk modifiers from underwriting pricing tool into Excel" sounds like it might be something really good, but it sounds clunky now. Is it possibly, "Created Excel VBA program with supporting SQL data tables to automate previously manual UW process of pulling risk modifiers?"
4. Did you have any job other than the internships? I'd include a line for each retail/fast food job if you had them since some people, particularly in this field, will give you leniency on the GPA if they see you worked through college.

Software:
1. Move above Activities Section
2. I'd recommend splitting your technologies into two lines, "Proficient" and "Familiar." I'd personally interpret a resume better that said they're familiar with SAS and proficient in SQL, for example, because it shows me that you recognize different levels of proficiency.

Leadership and Activities:
1. Change "Leadership and Activities" to "Activities"
2. Don't have dates for your activities.
3. Actuarial Science club should be one line, something like, "Vice President of Relations, XXXXXX University Actuarial Science Club." I'm actually not sure that I would include the "of relations" descriptor, but that could be considered deceptive by some.
4. Drop all bullets from the actuarial club description since they don't add value.
5. "Other Activities" should be dropped entirely
6. "Relay for Life Team Captain" and drop the rest of it.
7. Drop description past "World of Dance Coordinator"
8. One line for each of the three that you combined into a single line. If this doesn't fit a page, drop one of them or the
9. This is your least important section, by the way. If you're making decisions between this and additional information on any other section, always cut activities.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
How many places have you applied? Have they all been in desirable locations where the competition will be particularly keen? I'm guessing you've been only sending around NY.
this was my first thought. Your resume is strong enough to be getting at least some calls back if you apply to enough places.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartke View Post
this was my first thought. Your resume is strong enough to be getting at least some calls back if you apply to enough places.
This. Most likely because youre not willing to relocate to a different state. NY metro area is too competitive.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:48 PM
SOA AAA

Meh. See sig line about job offers.

Tags
advice, entry level, exam, gpa, job search