Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Non-Actuary

Default Resume and CL Critique

Hello. I'm new here. I am something of a career switcher (more so simply couldn't settle on something), 4 years out of college. I passed P and FM in the last couple of months, waiting for MFE that I took last month (I feel confident that I passed).

I have sent 30+ applications and have mostly gotten no responses or rejections. I am continuing to send daily and am beginning to add cold-emailing into the mix. I have decided to post my Resume and CL here to see if there are any gross fatal flaws in either that may be deterring. Feedback on these documents, or any other advice, is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Zigtuary; 04-27-2018 at 01:57 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 12:19 PM

Agree that you're not a career changer as 4 years post university, your career hasn't taken off yet. That is problematic in itself. What else have you been doing in those four years? Achievements outside of work. Extracurriculars at college? Leadership positions.

You need to highlight your achievements in your roles not just a list of your responsibilities. What personal impact have you had? You don't have the strongest background so you really need to show the impact you've had in your roles. Impact, achievements, successes.

Not related to your CV as such but it stands out to me that your job as a software developer was whilst you were working in your current role. I find that odd. Makes me think the current job is part time. Which isn't good.

The resume is very light. Lots of white space. You don't need to pack it with info but taking such a last space for actuarial exams for example is not a good use of space. It should be a line or two and not a section of it own. Combine it with education. The resume cones across as you don't have much to say so you're trying to pad out the resume.

In your case some sort of personal profile may be a good idea.

As a hiring manager, I wouldn't (and didn't) read your cover letter unless I first like your resume.

Last edited by Antzlck; 04-23-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 12:34 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin

Are you applying to only CAS jobs? If not, then you may want to use both CAS and SOA names.

Also, you have a lower GPA relative to other actuarial EL candidates. You may want to exclude it so that you don't get filtered out through the system.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Non-Actuary

Thank you both for the advice.

Antzlck, I suppose I am padding my resume. I have been more hobbies-focused in the last couple of years, with activities that don't translate well on print. I can do some introspection to try to squeeze some more substance into my resume. My current job is full-time and the software developer role was a gig as an independent contractor; I wasn't sure if there were a better way to list this. I will toy around with a personal profile section.

Jwitt, I am applying to both and have resumes and CLs tailored for each. I appreciate that that my GPA is low, but my understanding was that as long as it is above 3.0 that it is best to include (else it is generally assumed to be less than 3.0).
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antzlck View Post
taking such a last space for actuarial exams for example is not a good use of space. It should be a line or two and not a section of it own. Combine it with education.
I disagree with this for a few reasons. First, there's plenty of space, so trying to clear up more isn't important. Second, right or wrong, I think it is the first thing most people look for and it is the first thing most would use to describe an applicant ("three exams..."). Having it clear at a glance how many exams you've passed is a good thing. Third, it's not education so much as qualification (unless you're Canadian or ...). Fourth, having something saying "actuarial exams" right at the top makes it less likely that HR will put it in the wrong pile. Fifth, in this particular case, imo there's nothing more impressive on the resume than the quick passing of exams. Why minimize the best part?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Agree with vjvj about exams. In many cases, it is the first (and primary) filter for actuarial EL positions.

If you're not giving your resume to someone in the Actuarial Department, don't give HR an opportunity to put your resume in the wrong pile because your Exams aren't in a familiar spot.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES

Tags
advice, cover letter, critique, entry-level, resume