Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-27-2016, 01:24 AM
SOA

College: Robert Morris University
Default Internship Resume Critique

Hi,

I am going to be a sophomore this year and I am looking for some feedback on my resume. The areas where I believe the resume needs polish are:

1. The Skills section: I have learned basic SAS and R on my own but am unsure how to best communicate knowledge that I have never formally used or if an employer would even see self-taught knowledge as relevant.
2. The Skills section: I have used VBA for work projects but have always used it on excel projects and am unsure whether VBA should be a separate item or not.
3. Relevant courses I have taken are Probability/Statistics I and II, Calculus I-III, and Fundamentals of Actuarial Science. Since these courses cover standard material I am not sure if they merit taking up additional space or being placed in their own section
4. A lot of resume building tips say to include language experience because it shows a more rounded character but I am unsure if including language experience in actuarial resumes is useful.

Any other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Nameless Resume.doc (34.0 KB, 142 views)
Old 08-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxord View Post
4. A lot of resume building tips say to include language experience because it shows a more rounded character but I am unsure if including language experience in actuarial resumes is useful.
More often than not, it just indicates you were born somewhere else. And makes the reader wonder whether your English skills are crap or not, and possibly whether you would require sponsorship. Not sure what it says about being rounded.

It's definitely useful if you think it might be important to the job.

I'm raising money for children's cancer research by getting my head shaved again - my 11th year!!! - at a St Baldrick's event. Please help out by making a donation! Any amount helps!

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE

Or if you're in the area, you can come out to the event and say hi, see me get shaved, have a beverage or two, and see an appearance by Stark Raving Dad. It's at the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook, IL on Sunday, March 17th, 2019 probably from about 11AM to 3PM. If you show up, you'll get a chance to hear me sing Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's "Almost Cut My Hair".

Please help this great cause and make a donation!

Tags
advice, critique, internship, resume