Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Non-Actuary

College: 4th year
Default Is There Hope For Me?

Alright, here's my situation. It isn't pretty, but I haven't completely fallen off the track yet.

I am an Actuarial Science student at a top public university in the midwest. My GPA is currently 2.952 (hopefully 3.0 by May). I will be graduating this coming December. I currently have no exams passed or internship experience. I didn't really realize how important internships were until recently. Even if I had known, I didn't have exams passed anyway, so I doubt I would have found one.

I took FM February 2017 and failed. I probably can't take it in April, because I kind of neglected my classes while studying, I need to focus on doing those to get my GPA up. I am looking to take it in June, and hopefully P in September.

So, assuming I pass FM and P with 3 months until graduation, will I be able to find a job? Would it be possible to get an internship after graduating? I hear it's rare, but I don't see why a company wouldn't jump on the opportunity to pay a recent graduate the amount that they would normally pay a student.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:10 PM
CAS

if your intent was to obfuscate your actual school by saying "top public university in the midwest" i would remove the name of the actual college from your profile
Old 03-08-2017, 03:12 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholibertarian95 View Post
Alright, here's my situation. It isn't pretty,... [deleted unpretty parts]...

1. So, assuming I pass FM and P with 3 months until graduation, will I be able to find a job?
2. Would it be possible to get an internship after graduating?
1. Maybe.
2. Maybe.

There are a lot better candidates than you, though. You'll have to kill them off. Or apply at places they don't want to work. (like New Mexico -- no offense, NM'ans.)
Or make a positive connection with someone who hires. Such a positive connection that he/she will ignore the 4.0's with three exams passed with more impressive majors.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:20 PM
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

It doesn't look good. If I were you I would find non-actuarial jobs to apply for. Maybe if you can find something insurance-related you can pass some more exams and transition eventually, but I don't like your chances.

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM
SOA

I have known people who have gotten internships post-graduation. I have known people who have gotten actuarial student jobs with only 1 exam passed. I have known people that graduated with 0 exams and crappy GPAs that went on to get actuarial jobs- but it took them a really long time.

I think the best question here is not can you get an actuarial job (because you can if you are patient and apply everywhere and continue taking exams), but if you're really going to be able to stick with that job when you get it. The types of places that hire the students no one else will are the types of places where the pay isn't great and the turnover is high and the actuarial department isn't valued as much as it could/should be. So should you get hired somewhere, you're probably going to have to put up with some crap in the beginning before you can pass enough exams to go somewhere better. Are you willing and able to do that? If you are and you can't find anyone who will hire you as an actuarial student, your best bet would probably be to get a job as a business analyst or an underwriter or even a customer service rep and then apply for an internal transfer when your exam status is where you want it to be.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
if your intent was to obfuscate your actual school by saying "top public university in the midwest" i would remove the name of the actual college from your profile
He has a funny way of spelling Michigan in his profile
Old 03-08-2017, 03:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
He has a funny way of spelling Michigan in his profile
Yeah since when is OSU the best at anything except violating NCAA guidelines.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:00 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Is there hope? Yes. Is there a lot of hope? Nope.

Not trying to be mean but... what did you do in your free time if you did not pass exams nor get an internship? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you did not spend that time studying at your university since you also have a low GPA. This field might not be right for you. Since you majored in actuarial science, you should already have the knowledge necessary to pass some preliminary exams, but you did not take advantage of that.

If you are lacking in one area, you need to make it up in the other areas. You are lacking in probably the 3 most important qualifications for entry level applicants: exams, GPA, and actuarial internship/relevant work experience. Hopefully, you are president of multiples clubs, are extremely knowledgeable in multiple programming languages/Excel, have an abundance of actuarial related job experience, and are an extremely likable/social person with numerous connections.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
Hopefully, you are president of multiples clubs, are extremely knowledgeable in multiple programming languages/Excel, have an abundance of actuarial related job experience, and are an extremely likable/social person with numerous connections.
Conditional probability of these things, given what we know already = .00001%

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 03-08-2017, 04:14 PM
SOA

Getting your GPA up to 3.0 is decent. Higher would be better.
Passing two exams before graduation is decent. More would be better.

Any chance you can retake some classes that you got low grades in to improve your GPA? I don't know about tOSU, but some schools will completely drop the lower grade from your GPA calculation if you retake it. Meaning it's better to replace that D you got in multi-variable calculus with a B than it is to get an A in under-water basket-weaving & let the D stand. Check with your academic adviser to see how this works.

Anything you can do to reach out to actuaries would help. Like do an informational interview or attend the local actuarial club meetings.

And of course, pass a third actuarial exam as soon as you can, even if it's after graduation.

Agree with trying to get a non-actuarial job at an insurance company if you don't have success finding an actuarial one. Underwriting is best, but claims or marketing or sales aren't bad as they'll get you familiar with the products. I know one person who started out as an underwriter intending to switch to actuarial and ended up liking underwriting and staying there. I know several others who have switched from other departments.

Tags
advice, clueless, entry level, help!, help!!, help!!!, i need somebody, internship, michigan, not just anybody, ohio state, student