Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I ate lunch with clarinetist once. You should take him up on the offer.

10/10 would lunch again, imo
Wow. Just for OP's comparison purposes, I put my best foot forward and got 6/10, might lunch again if close by and Westley was paying.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:56 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

It took me over a year from graduation to job offer. Here are my mistakes:

-Only looked in hometown
-Just had one exam
-Knew basic C++ but no SQL, VBA. Limited MATLAB.
-No internships or relevant work experience
-Bad at interviewing, limited industry knowledge

All that being said, I got lucky. And ended up being a "superstar." I interview much better now; 2 for 2 in getting an offer from my first interview.

So yeah. Check out analyst ads and note the programming languages. Get good at them, but more importantly, do a tangible, complicated project. One you can talk about.

Interviewing skills: intern/EL interviews are painful because of having nothing to talk about. The above step will remedy that. But ask really good questions. Not just getting to know the company/department, but research issues in (healthcare, life insurance, whatever) and get the interviewee's take.

Trust me, I've done enough of these. You will impress everyone by asking a good question. Also, sell yourself. Tell us what skills you have that are applicable.

EL is less of a 2-way street than experienced. Once you get letters, you can be selective and the company should sell to you as well.

Lastly, remember if you get a job, you still have to DO the job. All day every day. Make sure it's something you can really do.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
It took me over a year from graduation to job offer. Here are my mistakes:

-Only looked in hometown
-Just had one exam
-Knew basic C++ but no SQL, VBA. Limited MATLAB.
-No internships or relevant work experience
-Bad at interviewing, limited industry knowledge

All that being said, I got lucky. And ended up being a "superstar." I interview much better now; 2 for 2 in getting an offer from my first interview.

So yeah. Check out analyst ads and note the programming languages. Get good at them, but more importantly, do a tangible, complicated project. One you can talk about.

Interviewing skills: intern/EL interviews are painful because of having nothing to talk about. The above step will remedy that. But ask really good questions. Not just getting to know the company/department, but research issues in (healthcare, life insurance, whatever) and get the interviewee's take.

Trust me, I've done enough of these. You will impress everyone by asking a good question. Also, sell yourself. Tell us what skills you have that are applicable.

EL is less of a 2-way street than experienced. Once you get letters, you can be selective and the company should sell to you as well.

Lastly, remember if you get a job, you still have to DO the job. All day every day. Make sure it's something you can really do.
I don't really see the bullet points you laid out as "mistakes." The way I see it, you simply got a late start and weren't gung-ho on the profession when you were 18. From what I've seen, the more successful actuaries have taken the same exact steps you have, but they just started earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Tags
advice, career, job