Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Finance - Investments Sub-forum: Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing

Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary View Post
A lot of times, the best one can do is simply provide the results from various scenarios.

Historical scenarios might be a good place to start, especially extreme scenarios we've seen in the past.

If it's happened before, chances are good it can (and will) happen again.
Yup. Especially your first sentence.

Bruce
Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Even short-term forecasts (like 90 days ahead) were essentially worthless.
I find this surprising. My intuition wants me to believe that 90 days from now will be closer to current experience than some long term mean (if any). Was there a reason that the short term forecasts were worthless as well? Politics? Short term variance too great?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

The CPI jumps around due to essentially unpredictable events like changes in oil prices. Significant changes in the CPI are almost always unexpected.

Bruce
Old 09-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
The CPI jumps around due to essentially unpredictable events like changes in oil prices. Significant changes in the CPI are almost always unexpected.

Bruce
Ok thanks!

I looked at some data too. Even quarterly it's too variant to pin down.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:41 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary View Post
A lot of times, the best one can do is simply provide the results from various scenarios.

Historical scenarios might be a good place to start, especially extreme scenarios we've seen in the past.

If it's happened before, chances are good it can (and will) happen again.
Here's where I disagree. I think that the information gleaned from the past experience pushes society to avoid the mistakes, omissions, or greed of the past. We continue to find new ways to **** up, but there's only been one Tech Bubble bursting, only one Great Depression, only one Holland tulip bulb mania, and on and on.

I agree that providing results of various scenarios is good. Unfortunately most of the scenarios we consider don't have anything to do with the future. They are mostly buried in the past. However, I make no claims to be able to predict anything like this myself.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Mary Pat Campbell

Studying for Anglo-Saxon
Favorite beer: Bass Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcGee View Post
Here's where I disagree. I think that the information gleaned from the past experience pushes society to avoid the mistakes, omissions, or greed of the past. We continue to find new ways to **** up, but there's only been one Tech Bubble bursting, only one Great Depression, only one Holland tulip bulb mania, and on and on.

I agree that providing results of various scenarios is good. Unfortunately most of the scenarios we consider don't have anything to do with the future. They are mostly buried in the past. However, I make no claims to be able to predict anything like this myself.
You know, people have had lots of experience with Ponzi frauds, and yet they keep happening over and over again. On an individual scale, I've definitely seen the same people make the exact same mistakes over and over, even though they have had these mistakes pointed out to them (and they agree those were mistakes.) The details may differ a little bit (Ponzi's original scheme involved stamps or postal orders or something), but there are lots of things that are the same.

I'm not saying that we'll have seen the most extreme scenarios for all time. But if whatever you're looking at cannot weather what has actually happened in history, you're in a bad place.

In particular, I'm thinking of Equitable Life's annuity guarantees, which assumed that interest rates (in the UK) wouldn't go low. Even thought they had been low several times before. They went bare on the GAO risk, and now they're a big part of history. Actuarial history, too, with the Morris Review.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcGee View Post

"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history."
- George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Mountain Hawk tells you what I perhaps should have said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I'm not sure how you can even come up with an estimate with that little amount of data, without putting a range around it so large that makes the estimate useless.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.