Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 01-26-2020, 08:46 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MAS-I & MAS-II
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice
Default FYI

Id like to offer my feedback with my experience using TIA SRM. Lee does a good job demonstrating R concepts throughout the course. So for anyone looking for my resources its worth considering TIA
ACAS
Old 02-04-2020, 05:52 PM
SOA

Does anyone know when we will be able to register for the June 2020 PA exam? The SOA website currently indicates that the registration window is closed. Also, here https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...analytics.aspx it says the exam days are June 18-19, but here https://www.soa.org/education/exam-r...test-schedule/ it says June 16 - 18. You can register for the modules first and then later register for the exam I assume? But you pay for the exam upfront when you register for the modules?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:08 PM
SOA

College: University of Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm4156 View Post
Does anyone know when we will be able to register for the June 2020 PA exam? The SOA website currently indicates that the registration window is closed. Also, here https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...analytics.aspx it says the exam days are June 18-19, but here https://www.soa.org/education/exam-r...test-schedule/ it says June 16 - 18. You can register for the modules first and then later register for the exam I assume? But you pay for the exam upfront when you register for the modules?
According to the SOA (see a list of FAQs here), "[e]xam registration windows are typically open for six weeks." The registration deadline for the June 2020 PA exam is May 19, so it is expected that registration will start six weeks before then, or April 7.

You have to register for the modules first, then the exam (within 11 months from the date of the purchase of the modules). The $1,125 fee is paid upfront. You can find more details here.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:05 AM
SOA

College: University of Waterloo, '19 Alumnus
Default PA Predictive Partners material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
Great comments, AlexActuarially! The SOA modules are not enough to comprehensively prepare for this exam, and the ACTEX manual should be quite helpful.

Additionally, I want to make everyone aware that new study materials are on their way from Predictive Partners - There is a separate thread that had asked students to complete a short survey, which was very helpful in giving us an understanding of what the most valuable features were for students - thank you to everyone who completed it.

Predictive Partners will offer new study materials for exam PA through the Actuarial Bookstore. Product descriptions will be released in the next 2-3 via the Bookstore.

Overview:

1) A 2-day live online seminar will be offered the first week of June, about 2 weeks before the exam. This seminar will work through a sample project (to be distributed well in advance) and will provide a review of the predictive analytics material, as well as ample time for detailed Q & A

2) A 20-hour video series covering all relevant predictive analytics content with examples, a walk-through of past SOA exams, and a comprehensive practice project.

Both of these products will feature predictive analytics expert and award winning teacher, Professor Richard Waterman, Ph.D., of the world-renowned Wharton Business School.
Any update on the availability? I don't see it on the Actuarial Bookstore yet.
Thanks!
Old 02-08-2020, 11:15 AM
SOA

College: Wharton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanos View Post
Any update on the availability? I don't see it on the Actuarial Bookstore yet.
Thanks!
Urbanos,

We're working on it. It's taking a little longer than expected, but we're shooting to have multiple product postings up within the next 2 weeks.

-The reason it's delayed? Glad you asked! We're shooting a sample lesson for students to watch for free before deciding if they'd like to buy the course.

Thanks for your patience!
Old 02-08-2020, 11:50 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA and FAP Modules
College: Purdue University Alumni
Favorite beer: Boiler Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
Urbanos,

We're working on it. It's taking a little longer than expected, but we're shooting to have multiple product postings up within the next 2 weeks.

-The reason it's delayed? Glad you asked! We're shooting a sample lesson for students to watch for free before deciding if they'd like to buy the course.

Thanks for your patience!
What price are you looking to make this?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:07 PM
SOA

For the June 2019 PA exam we use PCA for feature selection. In the solution we choose to use the levels "Rd_ConditionsDRY" and "Rd_ConditionsWET" from the variable "Rd_Conditions" and the levels "WeatherCLEAR" and "WeatherRAIN" from the "Weather" variable. We then proceed to delete the variable "Rd_Conditions" with all its levels and we also delete the variable "Weather" with all its levels.

Is it necessary to remove all the levels of the variable? For example, for the variable "Weather" do we need to remove all the levels or would removing the levels "WeatherCLEAR" and "WeatherRAIN" (which are included in the new feature) be enough and thus we can keep the other levels of "Weather" as seperate variables in binarized form as its own variable?
Old 02-17-2020, 05:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryStudent22 View Post
For the June 2019 PA exam we use PCA for feature selection. In the solution we choose to use the levels "Rd_ConditionsDRY" and "Rd_ConditionsWET" from the variable "Rd_Conditions" and the levels "WeatherCLEAR" and "WeatherRAIN" from the "Weather" variable. We then proceed to delete the variable "Rd_Conditions" with all its levels and we also delete the variable "Weather" with all its levels.

Is it necessary to remove all the levels of the variable? For example, for the variable "Weather" do we need to remove all the levels or would removing the levels "WeatherCLEAR" and "WeatherRAIN" (which are included in the new feature) be enough and thus we can keep the other levels of "Weather" as seperate variables in binarized form as its own variable?
Yes, it is necessary. The reason is that you are using the "clear" and "rain" parts of the variable as modifiers of your final model output, and the rest of them as the baseline. It's the same reason that a model only provides one coefficient for variables like Gender, because one of the two is the baseline, so it is part of the intercept.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:22 PM
SOA

Damn people already started studying for it already?
Old 02-18-2020, 10:19 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovChains View Post
Damn people already started studying for it already?
I've started studying just because of the amount of study hours my employer is giving for PA is higher than the other prelims. I'm hoping this means I'll be able to have a life for the last month before the exam haha.