Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 01-11-2020, 08:56 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Actuary High School
Favorite beer: Steel Reserve
Default Company Study Programs

My company has a pretty annoying exam program. You have to sit twice a year cant fail an exam more than three times and roughly need to maintain 50% pass rate. Is this standard sounding? I find it annoying that I have to test twice a year and can't do them on my own time. What's the point in making me sit for an exam I know I'm notready for.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobGingrich View Post
My company has a pretty annoying exam program. You have to sit twice a year cant fail an exam more than three times and roughly need to maintain 50% pass rate. Is this standard sounding? I find it annoying that I have to test twice a year and can't do them on my own time. What's the point in making me sit for an exam I know I'm notready for.
This is pretty standard IME. I assume they give you study time? I'd imagine they'd be pretty critical of any reasons you have for not being ready.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:34 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Sure, but they could just as easily say you get X amount of hours for attempt 1, Y amount of hours for attempt 2, etc. Then you could just fill in the gaps with your own time for any exam you find difficult. Mandatory sitting twice a year just reinforces cramming and dumping, rather than actually learning and retaining material.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:50 PM
CAS SOA

They could, but they don't. So you work with how your program is set up. They expect you to put in sufficient of your own time to be prepared, in return for the time they are giving you. If you are committed to exams, six months is plenty of time to work through the material and be ready to give it a reasonable shot.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Non-Actuary

The timing is a legacy from when all exams were only ever offered twice per year, at most. However

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
They expect you to put in sufficient of your own time to be prepared, in return for the time they are giving you. If you are committed to exams, six months is plenty of time to work through the material and be ready to give it a reasonable shot.
If you can't sit for an exam at least twice per year, you need to rethink this career choice. And this coming from someone who had a wife and children from basically the time I started working and took longer than average to get credentials.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 02-13-2020, 06:18 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Ok but all the exams arent held on june 30th and December 31st. With this structure, say you fail in february; you now have to retest in June and then, since that's not technically in july yet, you now have to test in October for your next exam. And dont say just retest in October instead of June bc that's not allowed.

Is that enough for you? A cool 2 months for a non-P/FM/MFE exam? Or do you want to retract the smugness?
Old 02-13-2020, 07:12 PM
CAS SOA

Why isn't that allowed? You said you had to sit twice a year. February and October make twice in a year.

And if two months wasn't enough, take it and fail, and you still get two more attempts the following year.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:49 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM

There are other rules that I left out so that the post wouldnt get confusing. But I cant skip an available sitting that's more than 10 weeks away, and need to maintain 50% pass rate, which failing in October would put me under. Is it just me or does this sound a bit insane? It's not like we're exceptionally paid or given an insane amount of hours or anything either
Old 03-18-2020, 08:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobGingrich View Post
Is it just me or does this sound a bit insane?
Not just you. Sounds like a bad policy to me. I wonder if that company has been burned by people stagnating and is overcompensating.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:07 PM
SOA

Pretty normal policy IMO