Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 12-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Default Poker: 6 handed max tables

Based on Jayhawks post I decided to give the $5/$10 six handed game a try.
These games are super loose! 52% of players saw flop. And when you take my 30% out it would be much higher.

This seems like it has to be a good game. But as I've said before I don't generally play short handed.

I had a good session but I also realize I had good cards (even though I got rivered my share of hands - but in this type of game I expect that).
I only played 40 hands so not much of a sample.

So what changes do you make for these games?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:48 PM

You have to loosen up your raising standard a bit AJ and ATo go from being marginal hands to fairly good hand and play your mid-low pocket pairs more agressively. You should probably also bluff and semi bluff a bit more than normal.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:04 PM

Ooops (Didn't realize I was still signed in as RFBridge -- Obviously I am also MNBridge)

I just felt like I wasn't aggressive enough but when the other player(s) would bet no matter what (or so it seemed ) it's hard to keep jamming with middle pair and I felt like a calling station.

Do you ever lay down top pair? Do you just keep jamming?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For example -- You get Q9s in the Big BLind. (Not a real hand)

Flop K92. You check raise the flop.

Turn - Say a 7. You then bet the turn and get raised again. (Normally this would now be in the muck -- but here?)

River - Check Check

You win. Did I play my theoretical hand correctly? What if he bets the river? Then should you call?
Should you bet the river?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next Hand You get KT in BB and it's raised by UTG, one caller.

Flop is J T 4

UTG Bets, Player 2 calls, You call?

Turn nothing say a 6.

UTG bets, Player 2 Raises, You fold? UTG calls

River 2 UTG bets, Player 2 calls.

UTG shows AQ, player 2 shws 68 suited.

Did I error, or is this a case of you have to lay down some winners?
Also for those would bet
Old 12-04-2004, 01:10 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Sleeman Cream Ale

I've been playing a lot of 6 max tables lately too...the main problem I have is when to fold my BB to a raise. It seems like I'm getting odds to call with almost anything (3:1 if it's heads up) but when I play trash from the BB I seem to make a lot of second best hands and lose a lot of big pots.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:03 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: lol beer ... ketel1 please....k thks

I try and stay away from them for 3 reasons:

1) Shorthanded play is not my strongpoint (something I can work on)
2) In theory the fish on the 6 man tables are playing closer to what is correct than at the 10 man tables; your edge is smaller. But you do play more hands per hour though.
3) My game is Omaha8b, most of the best hands are mutliway hands; this game is about dragging a few huge pots a night when you scoop a big one.

I play 3/6 O8b. I would like to move up. But the only 5/10 tables going are usually 6 man tables. So its either that or 10/20. So for the time being I'm staying. So I sort of dislike the 6 man tables for this personal reason as well. lol
Old 12-04-2004, 04:51 PM

A few things I know about shorthanded play.

1) If you've got two big cards pre-flop, you've got a strong hand.

2) Small suited cards and small suited connectors aren't of much value.

3) When the flop comes, if you get even a piece of it you are usually in great shape.

4) If you hit middle or low pair, you're probably ahead, especially if you have a big kicker. I make it a habit to pretend the biggest card on the flop is a blank (unless of course it helps me).

Here's a great series of articles by Jason Pohl for those who are interested: Pohl Articles

Here are a couple more by Lou Krieger:
Krieger Article #1
Krieger Article #2
Old 12-04-2004, 04:58 PM

are you talking six handed NL or Limit? of course the approach is different depending on which. I play lost of 2-6 handed NL. I prefer 4 players.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suited Connector
are you talking six handed NL or Limit? of course the approach is different depending on which. I play lost of 2-6 handed NL. I prefer 4 players.
Limit
Old 12-04-2004, 05:10 PM

oh ok, I can't offer any advice then, I play only No Limit. If I switch between the two, it can mess up my game.

edit: actually I do play quite a bit of limit poker, but 25/50 50/100 100/200. those games play very much like no limit because the bets are so high. I don't play any lower limit "limit" poker like 1/2 etc.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:27 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: with alcohol

The 5/10 six max games are the easiest games on Party... There are many posts about starting hand requirements and style on twoplustwo. A good search would be for posts by David Ross in the short handed forum. He went pro about 18 months ago, and has had a weekly journal that he posts on the site that he plans on making into a book. He got involved in the short handed games, and started many useful discussions on the forum while he was learning the game.

As for myself, I play about 32% of hands. That is much looser than most of the posters on twoplustwo. Somehow I have been making it work. I raise first in about 95% of the time (unless I am at a table where everyone will call anyway). To call a raise (not out of blinds), I want to have aq or better, but I adjust this based on players. The best part of the game is you get very useful statistics while playing with people because the game goes fast, and players play a lot of hands. Figure out blind defense for the players on your left very quickly. I will sometimes raise the from the button on any two cards (the first time it is folded to me) just to see what they call with. I am normally down money after 15 minutes just trying to figure out calling standards (pre and post flop). Once you know though, it is easy to make money... I am making money over 60% of my sessions.

While game selection is important, I am rarely at a table I think I should get up from (although it happens once in a while).

That being said, these games are great to build up your bankroll! Since I started playing this limit, I have yet to have a month under $1500 playing very part time.