Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 01-25-2018, 12:36 PM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: UCB
Favorite beer: Blue Moon
Default New Reader for Bookstores

So I just bought a manual from Actex bookstore, and apparently now they have their own reader. Cool, shouldn't make a difference right? Wrong.

The reader is absolutely terrible. You "have" to use this reader, and are not given any PDF of the document. What's worse is their reader is hosted on a cloud sharing site so whenever I'm at work, it's impossible to access as storage sites are banned.

It makes the PDF's look super grainy, and honestly no matter how far or close you zoom it still looks grainy. Plus you have to deal with "Single User License, not for Resale" showing up at both the top and bottom of the page no matter where you scroll.

I understand that this reader is more about protecting the integrity of the materials, but it makes things very annoying. I hate to say "if I'm paying for it, it should be up to standard", but it is true in this case. I have no issue with the materials, just with how the bookstore is forcing you to use their own reader that is subpar. Why fix something that isn't broke? The prior method of sending a PDF with DRM was extremely accessible and did not pose any difficulties.

I've emailed them about this and the response I got was effectively "Well that's how it is". Regarding the license statement showing up they said "we put it there to remind you that this is a single user license". Well gee, thanks, I couldn't have figured that one out. When I buy a game off steam, it doesn't constantly tell me "Single user license not for resale" so I'm not sure why an exam manual should do so.

I have never had any issues with the bookstore, and this is honestly the first time I've felt frustrated about study materials because it's just an unnecessary process to go through just to effectively do the same thing as double clicking a PDF.

Last edited by tranta; 01-25-2018 at 12:40 PM..