Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Exams - General Sub-fora: CFA exams
Non-specific topics and complaint department

Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Geek
What if you go to the bathroom to retrieve the text books hidden behind the water tank?
I suppose if all you needed were to look up a formula you couldn't quite remember that might be helpful. For an unprepared candidate having the texts/study guide as a handy reference during the entire exam wouldn't help. Let alone during a 5 minute bathroom break.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:19 PM
SOA AAA

I have always suspected that people are repeating questions across time zones. For an upper level exam, knowing the obscure topics covered can be the difference between a 4 and a 7.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal
I remember an episode on the Sopranos where a mob guy pays someone to take a brokerage licensing exam for him. Next thing you know, the mob guy is trading stocks. Seems pretty simple, all you need is a fake ID. I wonder if the mob would ever be interested in the actuarial field.
Yeah - that was pretty funny. The opening scene and a proctor is taking role. He calls out "Christopher Moltisanti" and an Asian guy raises his hand, "Here!"
Old 10-30-2005, 10:35 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ALL DONE!!
Default Cheaters

I never cheated on an actuarial exam. (Got caught cheating on a spelling test in 4th grade and was so horrified that I still have nightmares about it.)
I saw some one cheating on an upper level exam though. I reported them. It took me YEARS and all my sweat to get my FSA and I'm not going to let someone else get it without following the rules.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:36 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf
The trouble with paying someone to write the exams is it would still take the hiree a lot of time to prepare, and even then there would be a chance of them failing. The costs would be huge, unless you just bet someone they couldn't write exam xx if they wrote it tomorrow and got lucky.
Not really, especially if the exams are the math exams. Remember, in the 90s, the exams were partitioned. 100=calculus, 110=stats, etc. So taking 3 exams back then would probalby not have resulted in extra prep for the hired gun.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:54 AM

I suspect it would be easy enough for someone on the West Coast to get a non-actuary friend on the East Coast to sign up for the exam, go in, read the questions, leave after 30 minutes, and call him at let him know what the questions are. I can tell you, if I knew the questions on Course 5,6, or 8 beforehand (even just an hour or so beforehand) I would have passed them already.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:02 PM

Studying for nication

Alternately you could sabotage everyone else's exam by not giving them the correct case study, or making them follow the wrong accounting standards
Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 PM
SOA

"."

Last edited by CAPTAIN_MORGAN; 11-07-2005 at 09:11 AM..
Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois Lane
the only "cheating" i've done is slipping a granola bar into my cargo pants, and then stuffing it down my throat during a quick bathroom break. i can't go too long without food b/c i get the shakes. (when i was pregnant and technically "disabled", i got permission in advance to eat during the exam.)
Eating during your bathroom break is definitely not cheating, although I guess bringing food into the exam room is against the rules. I've done it though, but I've always finished before the start time. I think the main purpose of the no food rule is to keep you from distracting other candidates. A coworker has a horror story involving skittles flying across his test paper during the exam (causing a huge distraction/disruption) and getting a 5 on the exam.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EweTupper
I suspect it would be easy enough for someone on the West Coast to get a non-actuary friend on the East Coast to sign up for the exam, go in, read the questions, leave after 30 minutes, and call him at let him know what the questions are. I can tell you, if I knew the questions on Course 5,6, or 8 beforehand (even just an hour or so beforehand) I would have passed them already.
You can't leave for the first 2 hours: I suspect to curb this sort of thing.

But between Australia and Hawaii you've got a huge time difference: plenty of time to do that sort of thing, not to mention more time to study up on the questions that you knew to be on there. What's the SoA going to do: subpeona phone records? Even if they did, use a pay phone...

Time zone fraud used to be a big issue on the SAT before they started scrambling the order of the questions.

On the NEAS VEE exams, the folks in the continental US all start at exactly the same time. (i.e. 11:00 Eastern, 10 Central, 9 Mountain, and 8 Pacific). Of course it's a little easier to do that with a 2 hour exam. I think they even had the Europe folks start in the afternoon, and probably anyone on Atlantic time started at noon. I hope the poor saps in Hawaii didn't have to be there at 5 AM though!

Last edited by twig93; 11-08-2005 at 10:22 PM..