Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 (new) - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamSon View Post
Can someone explain why the number of testable correlations in Venter is n-3 choose 2? In a 4x4 triangle, n=4 so the number of testable correlations should be 0, but isn't there one set based on column 1 and 2 with 2 observations each?
Casual Fellow notes its not explained well, and says we want n-3 because we need at least 3 development factors and use choose 2 to ensure all column pairs, not just consecutive columns.

I can only assume you need at least 3 as T is distributed n-2, so you need some amount greater than that.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM
CAS

Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb7894 View Post
The first list is from Marshall for Internal Systemic Risks.

The second risk is from Brehm talking about parameter risk I believe, but there's another list which is estimation, event, projection, and systematic. I think it's from two different chapters & is inconsistent.
Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
CAS

Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Can someone explain why the number of testable correlations in Venter is n-3 choose 2? In a 4x4 triangle, n=4 so the number of testable correlations should be 0, but isn't there one set based on column 1 and 2 with 2 observations each?
I think it says somewhere in the text that you want to exclude columns with 2 (or fewer) elements. The reason (I think) is that the numerator in the T test statistic you calculate will be 0 (regardless of what you calculate for r).

So in an n x n triangle you have n-1 factor columns, and you cant use the last two (which have one and two elements), leaving you with (n-1)-2 = n-3 to choose 2 from.
Old Today, 01:23 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb7894 View Post
Casual Fellow notes its not explained well, and says we want n-3 because we need at least 3 development factors and use choose 2 to ensure all column pairs, not just consecutive columns.

I can only assume you need at least 3 as T is distributed n-2, so you need some amount greater than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialgenes View Post
I think it says somewhere in the text that you want to exclude columns with 2 (or fewer) elements. The reason (I think) is that the numerator in the “T” test statistic you calculate will be 0 (regardless of what you calculate for “r”).

So in an n x n triangle you have n-1 factor columns, and you can’t use the last two (which have one and two elements), leaving you with (n-1)-2 = n-3 to choose 2 from.
Thanks everyone, what you guys said helps clear this up. As a follow up, are there any less common topics people feel like are likely to show up? In the middle of reviewing things like this right now, and I can't think of things past like table M, discounted reserves, and feldblum enhancement. Trying to go over problems I've done poorly on from the problem pack. Really need some new problems to work on now... tempted to do TIA exams 2-3 and just skip the BS questions

Last edited by DamSon; Today at 01:30 AM..
Old Today, 02:23 AM
CAS

Quote:
Thanks everyone, what you guys said helps clear this up. As a follow up, are there any less common topics people feel like are likely to show up? In the middle of reviewing things like this right now, and I can't think of things past like table M, discounted reserves, and feldblum enhancement. Trying to go over problems I've done poorly on from the problem pack. Really need some new problems to work on now... tempted to do TIA exams 2-3 and just skip the BS questions
You did all the CF and RF problems? What did you think of the RF problem pack? Might have to skip it but I’ll skim if there’s good stuff that CF missed
Old Today, 02:57 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
You did all the CF and RF problems? What did you think of the RF problem pack? Might have to skip it but I’ll skim if there’s good stuff that CF missed
Yeah, I've done all the calculation problems from both twice as well as all the past exam problems in the CF manual once. I also re-do questions I didn't do well on from both every few days, so there are some problems I've done around 6-7 times.

I like the problem pack a lot, there are a lot of good questions in there. CF problems take a lot of time to do since they're pretty comprehensive and test multiple areas at a time, but the RF problems test one topic at a time and are more in the format/wording of the exam imo. If you're looking to test your comprehension, you can't go wrong with either. However if you want more exam style prep questions, it's worth skimming through the problem pack on topics you don't feel as comfortable on.

For Brehm, I think CF is better than RF if you repeatedly do the essay questions, but I made flash cards for all of those so it takes less time cause writing out 40 shapland/brehm essay questions would just kill my hand. However, the RF questions on Brehm help to synthesize what you know in theory and apply it to specific scenarios he gives in many cases.

Tags
brehm is my daddy, cfrf needs a forum, cs was here, firsttag, hi cs, mack 69