Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 08-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Tom Bakos is about a dozen petitions short of the 601 he needs to get on the SOA ballot as a candidate for president-elect. Voting closes in less than 3 hours!!! Please sign the petition for Tom and let the voters—not the Nominating Committee—decide if he should become SOA president. He really needs your help today.

Bruce
Then he should have emailed the entire directory. I didn't get one this time.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

That’s not possible, partly because SOA makes its directory difficult to access and because it’s not allowed. Anyway, Tom did make it and will be running against Andrew Rallis and Roy Goldman. This will be interesting.

Bruce
Old 08-10-2018, 11:52 AM
SOA AAA

Location: SW Colorado looking South towards the San Juan Mountains
College: IIT Graduate - Math, English, Philosophy
Favorite beer: Fat Tire (or, maybe a bottle of wine) - And Lots of It during these hard times we are now going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjaws View Post
Then he should have emailed the entire directory. I didn't get one this time.
I didn't email anyone this year and got to the 601 mark with no apparent prompting.

One exception, I did send out some emails when I was informed the day before the polls closed on Friday, 8/3/18, that I was very, very close to the 601. I think I may have made it over the mark even without the email prompts I sent on that last day but I wasn't going to take any chances.

But, hey, the election begins 8/20. Information on me is now posted on the SOA Election pages - along with all other candidates - including the two regular Board Petition candidates. We Petition candidates have been ENDORSED by at least 601 SOA members. A Petition candidate won President Elect last year. Let's make it two years in a row.

There will be some postings by the SOA of PE Candidate election videos maybe next week but before the election begins - no webcast this year. Check out those videos when posted. The SOA has spent a few bucks making them and we three PE candidates spent some time as well.

Obviously, I will appreciate your vote.

Tom Bakos, FSA, MAAA
Served as SOA Board member: 2002 - 2005 and (as VP) 2008 - 2010
Old 08-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Emails from the P-E candidates - in ABC order:

Quote:
Message from PE Candidate Tom Bakos

Spoiler:
This is a job application for Presidential Officer of the Society of Actuaries. Choose wisely. While I would certainly appreciate being selected by my fellow members for such high office, my goal is not to be President and end my presidential ambitions there. I don't plan to go through a three-year Presidential commitment ceremonially performing its duties just to get my picture in the SOA hall of presidents. Rest assured, I want all that.

But, I want more too.

The work ethic of an actuary should be to make things better ... to anticipate, recognize, understand, measure, manage, and mitigate risk for our clients.
As President, the SOA will be my client. I bring 50 Years of experience to the job.

I can't tell anyone in advance anything other than I will do my best. I don't know what is going to happen, exactly, in the future. No one does, or there would be absolutely no need for actuaries as risk is what we do. Seizing the opportunities presented by risk is the theme.

So, it began. Norm and Gerry, my fraternity brothers, decided to write old Part 1 for the prize money. They were a year ahead of me and wiser and I would have never thought of that. So sure of themselves were they, and thinking that luck would be the only determiner of who got first and who second, they decided to pool and share equally the first and second place prize winnings.

Well, they passed with what would become known later as the perfect score, a 6, nowhere near the prize money. That went to the usual suspects.

Norm and Gerry got nothing of what they expected. They got more.

The president of the company, an actuary, came out of his office and congratulated them on their success with a hearty hand shake. And, they got a 5% increase in their pay which was, by the way, worth much more than the prize money. They quickly realized an opportunity to seize victory from the jaws of defeat and remained actuaries and members of the SOA, for the entirety of their long careers. The opportunity to manage risk knocks in many ways. One can respond with caution or go bold. The key is knowing which when.

I have never gotten a speeding or any other kind of ticket in Colorado in the 15 years I have lived here. Well, one warning but not for speeding. I do get stopped but it always goes something like the last time when I was stopped for, perhaps, speeding. I carefully pull over to a safe place and when the Colorado State policy officer arrives at the drivers window I have my license, registration, and insurance card ready. He takes them and goes back to his car to check me out electronically.

I tell my wife, while we're waiting, that he is not going to give me a ticket. And she just gives me a pfffft. Unlike her I don't confess ("Oh, I know I was speeding. I am so sorry.") like she does. I say hello and just hand him the paperwork and let the system take over.

So, he comes back and tells me what a great record I have. He seems impressed. I am a little surprised. I had never been singled out for praise like that by a police officer. I say, nearly automatically, "What?" And the officer repeats something like: "I have never before seen a driving record as good as yours." He hands me back my license and other stuff and says: "Have a nice day!" ... which I proceed to do.

My wife cannot believe what happened. And I get the logical paradox in this myself. My driving record is so good that I seem immune to all future speeding tickets even if I do speed which means my driving record keeps getting better and better and there is nothing I can do about it. Yes, this is an opportunity, if it comes your way, that you hold onto as long as you can.

Stay tuned. Maybe in the next blast there will be a little about going bold, so you will have a complete picture of how I might serve out a presidency, building a better, more useful, actuarial profession for our members by taking advantage of opportunities we are all on the lookout for.

Got questions? I got answers.

Tom Bakos, FSA (1972)

My Website: http://www.BakosEnterprises.com – to see what I have done.

My SOA PE Candidate Page: https://www.soa.org/elections/2018/b...andidate-page/ - to read all the boring details left out above

Email me @: tbc@BakosEnterprises.com – if you have any questions at all – seize the opportunity.
Quote:
Message from PE Candidate Roy Goldman

Spoiler:
Hi, I'm Roy Goldman. I am honored and excited to be an endorsed nominee for President-Elect.

I have been the CFO or Chief Actuary of two national insurers and two regional health plans. That experience plus my long history as a volunteer make me highly qualified to serve as President-Elect. I have both the time and energy to commit to you and the SOA over the next three years.

I've been volunteering for the SOA since becoming a Fellow in 1980 and have contributed meaningfully in four key areas: education, research, public policy, and meeting participation. I invite you to review my complete biography and election message on my candidate page at https://www.soa.org/elections/2018/g...andidate-page/

I am enthusiastic about the actuarial profession, and what actuaries can accomplish. I want to see actuaries play an ever more influential role for our employers and the general public. That's the vision to which I am dedicated, and why I am asking for your vote.

Some actuaries see lots of obstacles from international competition and from technology. I see opportunities. I don't take the threats lightly. To combat them, future and current actuaries must learn new skills and combine them with our unique expertise in contingencies and in understanding the business.

It seems that every generation of actuaries has faced challenges but has been able to adapt and thrive. I will be proactive in advocating change and pushing for quick implementation when warranted.

One cannot predict the specific issues that will come before the Leadership Team and the Board over the next three years. But in my decision making, I commit to the following six principles:
1. Incorporate new methods and technology in our work
2. Deliver rigorous and relevant education in all actuarial fields of practice
3. Grow our global perspective
4. Publish research and actuarial guidance on a timely basis
5. Continue to improve cooperation among the U.S, Canadian, and international actuarial organizations
6. Create opportunities that encourage greater engagement by all segments of our membership, from those under age 40 to those who are retired; FSA's and ASA's

Although retired since June 2015 from paid actuarial work, I continue to be actively involved in education, research, and policy while serving on the Boards of Directors and key committees of both the SOA and The Actuarial Foundation.

As a member of the Governance and Policy Committee of the SOA Board, I continue to identify and develop leaders for the SOA. And having served three years on the Finance Committee, I am well-versed in the SOA's budget and investment policy.

I write and speak on healthcare issues on my own, through the SOA and the Academy, and while a member of the Health Advisory Panel of the Congressional Budget Office. After 30 years of volunteer and leadership roles in the SOA's Education and Examination system, I now devote time to The Foundation's education programs and to the new actuarial science program at Rutgers University

As a result of being a volunteer leader, I have a strong understanding of how the SOA works and lots of experience in achieving consensus and getting things done through volunteers. I realize that win-win resolutions are best accomplished through a collegial and collaborative approach. That will be my approach as President. And as your President, I will focus on implementing the strategic plan, but remain flexible to switch gears as the environment dictates.

I hope that my experience and vision will earn your vote.

Thank you, Roy

You can find me on Instagram at #roygosoa, at https://www.linkedin.com/in/roy-goldman-17b11118/, or at roygo@earthlink.net
Quote:
Message from PE Candidate Andrew D. Rallis

Spoiler:
Dear Colleagues,

My name is Andy Rallis, and I am asking for your vote in electing me President-Elect of the Society of Actuaries.

This is a unique time in the history of the SOA. In many ways, we are at the pinnacle of our success. Our credentials are the gold standard among actuarial credentials in the world; our relationships with other actuarial organizations, especially in North America, are better than they have been in many years; and our leadership is strong and vibrant.

During my time on the SOA Board of Directors, we have adopted a new strategic vision, expanded our syllabus to include predictive analytics, adopted a strong diversity policy, and have transformed our governance structure to be more effective.

However, the profession and the SOA are confronted with complex and powerful new challenges. Each can be a great threat or a great opportunity. Machine learning and Artificial Intelligence will change the way we work in unimaginable ways. If we as actuaries can master these skills, we can bring great value to our stakeholders; but if we don't, we risk that others will step in to do that for them. Globalization of the industry and our profession requires immediate attention; our syllabus needs to adapt to meet the needs of a global insurance marketplace; further, by defining ourselves as a global organization, we need to rationalize our relationships with actuarial organizations outside of North America. Finally, we are confronted with unprecedented reputational issues— our role in underpriced long term care insurance and potentially underfunded public pension plans is being questioned. The threat to the public trust in our work is clear, but it is also an opportunity to educate the public on how we evaluate risk.

I believe I am the most qualified candidate to help the SOA deal with these challenges. My experience is relevant, broad and deep. I have enjoyed a long 35 year career, and I am presently Global Chief Actuary of MetLife. I manage an organization of more than 1.200 actuaries practicing in more than 30 jurisdictions. Although my work has been concentrated in the life and annuities areas, I have experience in all areas of practice. I am currently serving on the SOA Board as Secretary/Treasurer, a member of the Leadership Team, and the Chair of the Finance Committee. I also serve on the International Committee and on a Task Force for Extending Curriculum to International Markets. I am a frequent speaker at SOA events on a wide range of topics including Variable Annuity hedging, the low interest rate environment, actuarial transformation and mortality trends. Lastly, I am the President of the Chief Actuaries Forum, a relatively new organization bringing together the leaders of the top employers of actuaries in North America. The SOA President-Elect role also brings an important ambassadorial aspect, and I've already represented the SOA to actuaries and actuarial associations throughout the world, in India, Vietnam, China, Japan, the UAE, Colombia and other jurisdictions. Taken together, these leadership roles uniquely qualify me to take on the important responsibilities of leading the SOA.

Please take the time to vote in this election between August 20th and September 7th. I invite you to listen to my video campaign message and visit my campaign candidate web page for more information. I hope you will allow me the opportunity to continue to serve you in addressing the needs of our community and our profession.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

In Partnership,
Andy
Andrew D. Rallis, FSA, MAAA
EVP and Global Chief Actuary
Metlife, Inc. arallis@metlife.com
Sorry, I did not copy any of the formatting over.

LinkedIn Profile

Last edited by campbell; 08-18-2018 at 10:16 AM..
Old 08-20-2018, 01:04 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Howdy all -- the elections are now open, and run from today til Sept 7

You should be getting an email from the SOA, but if you have lost your SOA election login, you can go here:
https://www.directvote.net/soa/sendID.aspx

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

An email from Martin Snow, candidate for the Board, copied with permission:

Quote:
Dear Mary Pat,

Thank you for placing me on the ballot for the SOA Board of Directors.

Together, we will achieve the following:
Promote the skills of our profession to senior managements
Establish that the SOA will pursue its objectives in cooperation with other Actuarial organizations
Increase young professional engagement
Assure that transparency is maintained in SOA governance.
Your voice will be heard by the SOA Board and your objectives will be achieved!

You can now vote in the SOA election. It is a simple process utilizing the following link. By clicking on it and entering your e-mail address, the SOA election vendor, DirectVote, will send you your voting ID and password: Request Election ID and PASSWORD.

If you are successful casting your vote for me, please let me know. If you encounter any problem, please let me know that as well, and I will be happy to get it resolved for you.

Please send a message to other actuaries using this message or your own, so they can consider my candidacy. This first day or two of the election will be critical for success.

Together we will strengthen our profession.

For more details on my goals for the Board and my background, please click on the enclosed links to my Candidate Page and the questionnaire I completed for the SOA.

https://www.soa.org/elections/2018/snow-candidate-page/

https://www.soa.org/elections/2018/snow-questionnaire/

For those who wish to see a sample of my work, I am enclosing a link to the article that I wrote in The Actuary at the beginning of the year.

http://theactuarymagazine.org/we-sho...-be-skeptical/

Please continue to email or call (732-336-1130) with any questions you may have. I continue to learn from our conversations.

Thanks.

Martin

LinkedIn Profile
Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Reversing the order from last time: [blast emails from PE candidates, only text copied over]

Quote:
Message from PE Candidate Andrew D. Rallis

Spoiler:
Dear Colleagues,

My name is Andy Rallis, and I am asking for your vote in electing me President-Elect of the Society of Actuaries. I extend my personal thanks to all those who have already taken the time to vote for me or one of the other candidates.

My current leadership roles as Global Chief Actuary of MetLife, Secretary/Treasurer of the SOA, and President of the Chief Actuaries Forum uniquely qualify me to take on the important responsibilities of leading the SOA. You can read more about my background by visiting my candidate web page and listening to my video campaign message. I would like to take this opportunity to focus on progress that has been made by the SOA and challenges facing our profession today.
Bakos_image.jpg
This is a unique time in the history of the SOA. In many ways, we are at the pinnacle of our success. Our credentials are the platinum standard among actuarial credentials in the world; our relationships with other actuarial organizations, especially in North America, are better than they have been in many years; and our leadership is strong and vibrant.

During my time on the SOA Board of Directors, we have adopted a new strategic vision, expanded our syllabus to include predictive analytics, adopted a strong diversity policy, and transformed our governance structure to be more effective.

However, the profession and the SOA are confronted with complex and powerful new challenges. Each can be a great threat or a great opportunity. Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence will change the way we work in unimaginable ways. If we as actuaries can master these skills, we can bring great value to our stakeholders; but if we don't, we risk that others will step in to do that for them. Globalization of the industry and our profession requires immediate attention; our syllabus needs to adapt to meet the needs of a global insurance marketplace; further, by defining ourselves as a global organization, we need to rationalize our relationships with actuarial organizations outside of North America. Finally, we are confronted with unprecedented reputational issues—our role in underpriced long term care insurance and potentially underfunded public pension plans is being questioned. The threat to the public trust in our work is clear, but it is also an opportunity to educate the public on how we evaluate risk.

I believe I am the most qualified candidate to help the SOA evolve, confront many of these challenges facing our profession, and prepare our actuaries for a dynamic future. I hope you will allow me the opportunity to continue to serve you in addressing the needs of our community and our profession.

Thank you for your consideration and support.

In Partnership,

Andy

Andrew D. Rallis, FSA, MAAA
EVP and Global Chief Actuary
Metlife, Inc. arallis@metlife.com
Quote:
Message from PE Candidate Roy Goldman

Spoiler:
The good news:
You still have time to vote for President-Elect
You can still vote for me, Roy Goldman, as the candidate with the most executive, board, and volunteer experience.
roy_goldman(1).jpg
Roy Goldman, PhD, FSA, MAAA, CERA
I am enthusiastic about the actuarial profession, and what actuaries can accomplish. I want to see actuaries play an ever more influential role for our employers and the general public. That's the vision to which I am dedicated, and why I am asking for your vote.

I have both the time and energy to commit to you and the SOA over the next three years.

I urge you to view my video message at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyYKKmaUBT8, You can learn about my detailed background, prior election messages, and Q&A's at https://www.soa.org/elections/2018/g...andidate-page/.

You can vote now by clicking here https://www.directvote.net/soa/.

For those of you who want the short version, here's a brief summary of my qualifications:

Leadership
CFO or Chief Actuary of two national insurers and two regional health plans
30 years in E&E including serving as General Chair (1993-94), redesigning the Group and Health Tracks (2003-08), and developing exam questions in all tracks for the new Enterprise Risk Exam (2012-13)
Worked with the SOA, Academy, and NAIC on healthcare policy and negotiated with providers to create innovative ways of improving healthcare quality and controlling costs
Research published in the Transactions, Journal of Managed Care, Wharton Healthcare Quarterly, Health Watch, and Contingencies. Promoted research while serving on Ph.D. Grant and Fellowship Research committees.
Board Experience
SOA Board-Finance, Admissions (chair), and Governance & Policy committees
The Actuarial Foundation Board-Modeling the Future competition
Health Advisory Panel of the Congressional Budget Office
Quarterly Board presentations as CFO
Board of Education, Randolph, NJ
Ambassador
Interviewed with Time magazine and HBO's Vox news on behalf of SOA
SOA circulated Op-Ed pieces on healthcare policy
Took career risks and represented the actuarial profession as the lone actuary in various work and volunteer situations
Technology
It seems that every generation of actuaries has faced challenges from technology or other professions.
I have consistently helped the profession adapt by being in the forefront of applying new technology to actuarial education: stochastic approach to Life Contingencies, Finance and Investment tracks, Financial Economics, Fellowship Admissions Course, intensive seminars on Risk Theory and Applied Statistics, Enterprise Risk, and Predictive Analytics.
I will push for quick implementation of new skills (e.g., programming and global perspective) to prepare actuaries to compete with or join "new tech" companies
Vision
Incorporate new methods and technology in our work
Deliver rigorous and relevant education in all actuarial fields of practice
Grow our global perspective
Publish research and actuarial guidance on a timely basis
Continue to improve cooperation among the U.S, Canadian, and international actuarial organizations
Create opportunities that encourage greater engagement by all segments of our membership, from those under age 40 to those who are retired; FSA's and ASA's
Thank you for taking the time to participate in this year's election.
Roy
roygo@earthlink.net

Quote:
Message from PE Candidate Tom Bakos

Spoiler:
I'm back. It's me, Tom Bakos, candidate for President Elect of the Society of Actuaries. I am, obviously, hoping you will vote for me so that we can work together to keep the Society of Actuaries strong, vibrant, responsive to its member needs and a responsible member of the North American and international actuarial professional communities.

Risk is the core of what actuaries do.

For example, you should be able to find Mt. Sneffles (a 14,000+ foot peak just south of where I live and work and which I can usually see from my office) just over my right shoulder in this picture taken August 20.
It's there but smoke from wildfires in the southwest have obliterated it reminding me every day these past few weeks of fire risk.

Mt Sneffles should look like this:
mt_sneffles(1).jpg
The so-called monsoons in SW Colorado have been mostly thunder and lightning this season, very little rain. The lightning is clearly a threat particularly when, as we are here, a mile and a half closer to the clouds.
lightning_tree_(1).jpg
This tree is about 30 feet from my office window and, probably, close to 100 years old. It was hit by lightning a few weeks back and kind of exploded. I lost another router – destroyed by voltages induced by the close lightning hit.

So, we all as individuals face the financial consequences of risk every day. Some risk we simply must accept and insure, to address the financial consequences, which we actuaries are trained to handle. Some risks though might be avoided altogether.

The role of the presidential officers of the SoA should be to guide a Board, composed of members similarly pledged, to serve the interests of the actuarial profession through the Society of Actuaries. But, we can't do that unless we know what those interests are, and we cannot know that unless we ask our members and then listen. That is why I have asked for your questions and will continue to do so. I am not going to tell you what I am going to do for the profession and the SoA. I want you to tell me and all your elected officials what you want us to do, where you want us to lead you as our profession addresses new world problems and disruptive technologies. It is not just our ideas that count. Recognize, however, that screwy ideas may not get much play.

I mentioned cautious approaches to problem solving last time which amount to simply letting the system flow in your direction if that is where it appears to be headed. Sometimes, however, one must go bold to point or redirect an inquiry. Going bold, it should be noted, has merit mostly when one believes one is in the right.

Some of you may remember I created quite a ruckus when I retired from the SoA Board as a VP in 2010 and indicated an interest in running for president. I suspect I was so disruptive (now considered a good thing, I think) that the Nominating Committee was disinclined to approve me as a candidate and the Nominating Committee was the only route to the ballot at the time. I continued to be disruptive and, in 2014, a Petition Process was introduced as an alternate route to the ballot. Through the Petition Process members were again allowed to exercise their right to directly nominate candidates for the ballot. That questioning created a positive result that, I believe, has helped us all.

The SoA has a petition President Elect rolling into the office of President this year. I hope you will make me the second in 2018 and will seriously consider all Petition candidates on the ballot. They have worked hard and have shown perseverance and a strong interest in serving the actuarial profession through the SoA when they could have simply given up.

I have created a great deal of consternation within the SoA structure by exercising my belief that disruptive questioning is a necessary part of helping the SoA to survive. Despite that, the actuarial profession has rewarded me very well and the SoA has treated me fairly. One last thing I have left to do in my long career is to encourage new young actuarial professionals to be their very best, to participate in developing this profession beyond its current borders, and to always question.

If elected I would give my presidential address at the Annual meeting in October 2020. I might speak a few times before that, but this would be special for me. I would hope it good enough that 50 years from now some then older, young actuarial professional would look back upon it and be proud of the professional choice he or she had made.

Tom Bakos, FSA (1972)

Email me @: tbc@BakosEnterprises.com – to let me know what is important to you.

My SOA PE Candidate Page: https://www.soa.org/elections/2018/b...andidate-page/ - Please listen in on the Q&A video somewhat down the page. It is easy to miss.

My Website: http://www.BakosEnterprises.com – to see what I have done.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 09-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Voting ends Sept 7.

Don't forget section council elections, too (if you're a section member). ASAs who are section members don't need the 5 years membership to be able to vote for section council.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 09-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

And just a reminder: voting ends tomorrow at 5pm CT.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 09-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Weremember
SOA AAA

Studying for the Battle of the Bands
Favorite beer: Presidente

Andrew D. Rallis wins president-elect.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraskull
Turns out, annuitize IS DB. Directed by M Night Shyamalan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabeanactuary
I realized WIS was his dump stat a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe
Ideologues should be kept far away from power. Starbucks is a good place for them to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
There's no such thing as an overqualified barista. You need somebody who can not only make drinks and run a register, but also engage customers who might have questions about the genderqueer or Hegelian subtext of the latest pretending-to-not-be-from-a-big-label album being hawked on their counter.