Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 09-14-2018, 11:52 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: University of Texas at Dallas
Default Resume Help requested

Hi,

I've been employed for a couple of years now, but what I'm doing right now is not really actuarial. I'm trying to find a new position where I will be in a more traditional actuarial role.

Please help - any suggestions are welcome

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: doc my_resume.doc (41.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by KMM; 09-14-2018 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: resume had personal information in properties
Old 09-14-2018, 02:07 PM
SOA

College: Indiana University

I don't think you need to put "Pass" by an exam you already passed, just show the date you passed. I would delete the "Routine use of" in front of "SAS, Outlook, SharePoint, Access, Tableau".
Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I disagree about the "Passed". If you only include the dates but not the "Passed", it forces the reader to consider each exam date individually to determine whether they're in the past or in the future. Or, if you still have a "Sitting" there, to analyze the section enough to determine that the lack of "Sitting" probably means "Passed". Including "Passed" saves the reader that work.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

The margin seems slightly small at the top. I'd try to use an inch.

I'd indent all text under the section headings a little. That makes the overall structure stand out more and tends to make a resume look more open. If you do that, you won't need the section headings to be big, all-caps, bold, and underlined.

I'd get rid of the hyphens, as they add nothing.

I'd not center the "Passed"/"Sitting". I'd make them left-aligned and put them fairly near the exams so it is more tabular looking. Personally, I think it is easier to read if you do the same thing with the exam dates, but some disagree. There seems to be extra space between FM and P.

I'd abbreviate months everywhere. I'd be consistent in date ranges - I'd use a hyphen with a space on either side rather than "to".

I'd not have the different levels of indentation under the experience section. It looks like they're only there because of the list of job titles. Personally, I'd not bother with all the different job titles. Any benefit from getting across that you've moved up seems to me more than offset by it just being plain hard to read. That's not the part you want the reader staring at. Plus, it will be fairly obvious that you weren't hired as a senior actuarial analyst and that you've been promoted if you just list that.

Reports are all ok and everything, but the bullets would likely be much more impressive if they focused on what those reports accomplished. The point of the resume is to get a call and that's more likely if you keep the focus on results and not on the humdrum-sounding report generation, even if that is what you mostly did. As it is, it sounds like you're a step removed from the "real work". Take credit for what your reports accomplished. This generally is best with those ad-hoc reports. They're generally there to solve a specific problem and those are usually the types that have the most obvious result to hype.

That's a really long bullet for an automation bullet.

I'd keep dates other than exams on the right margin. They're easier to read there. When you group it with job titles, it makes the whole thing harder to read. I'd avoid the buzzwordy words - "enhance" and "efficiency" (an actual result in how much time the automation saved would be much better).

Your last 2 intern bullets are fairly lame and I'd consider getting rid of them. There's no point in mentioning Outlook for sure, as everyone sends email. The Excel seems reasonably obvious given the preceding bullets and an Excel bullet where Excel isn't really tied to anything doesn't seem to add anything that isn't already covered in the skills section. The fact that you've felt you needed to add "extensively" is an indicator that you realized how lame the bullet was.

"Provided" is a horrible word to start a bullet, btw. You're basically giving responsibility to someone else.

I'd abbreviate B.S. I'd put the GPA on the LHS and get rid of the "cumulative" and "/4.0".

I don't think enough is added in the skills section to justify listing explanations. "experience with formulas" is not a big selling point - it seems extremely basic to the concept of Excel. Since you've mentioned VBA, I see no reason to mention macros. VBA gives the reader more of an image of being a programmer, whereas macros can give more of an image of someone clicking on the record button.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: University of Texas at Dallas

Hi vjvj,

Thank you for taking so much time with your critique. I'll definitely work on this some more.