Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-29-2020, 04:10 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Also, he says to avoid ibuprofen, which came from the French health minister, and The Who has said that there's no reason to believe that ibuprofen is a problem.
Well, I, for one, won't get fooled again.

Might be more of a problem if you already have COVID-19. Not a problem if you don't.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-29-2020, 05:19 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Me, too. I don't plan to take Tylenol, either. Nor aspirin, nor anything else that dampens my immune response.
This may not be the best approach for everyone. If you need to treat the symptoms of high fever, you may choose to dampen immune response as a trade-off. Then there is possible cytokine storm from excessive immune response.

This is likely the kind of medical question that is highly conditional on individual circumstances.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by exponentc View Post
Wearing a mask isn't necessarily helpful in preventing you from being exposed to the virus.

Wearing a mask (or some kind of face covering at least) IS probably helpful in limiting your ability to spread the virus.

The Czech Republic and Slovakia both have emergency orders in place requiring everyone to have some kind of nose/mouth covering when out in public.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 PM
CAS

Wearing a surgical mask significantly reduces your chances of catching colds and flu. It's not as good as an n95 mask, but it's a lot better than nothing. If you look at the CDC site, it recommends against everyone wearing masks because WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THEM, not because they aren't helpful.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:15 PM
CAS

College: JHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
Wearing a mask isn't necessarily helpful in preventing you from being exposed to the virus.

Wearing a mask (or some kind of face covering at least) IS probably helpful in limiting your ability to spread the virus.

The Czech Republic and Slovakia both have emergency orders in place requiring everyone to have some kind of nose/mouth covering when out in public.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...scientist-says
Q: What mistakes are other countries making?

A: The big mistake in the U.S. and Europe, in my opinion, is that people aren’t wearing masks. This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role—you’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth. Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:49 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by exponentc View Post
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...scientist-says
Q: What mistakes are other countries making?

A: The big mistake in the U.S. and Europe, in my opinion, is that people aren’t wearing masks. This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role—you’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth. Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.
Yep. even bad masks are better than no masks.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:51 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Wearing a surgical mask significantly reduces your chances of catching colds and flu. It's not as good as an n95 mask, but it's a lot better than nothing. If you look at the CDC site, it recommends against everyone wearing masks because WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THEM, not because they aren't helpful.
yep. I am all for the bandana face cover like a old cowboy movie bad guy.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:56 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
This is my understanding as well.

Even if you tie a scarf over your nose and mouth, that's better than nothing at all.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:57 PM
CAS

There was at least one randomized trial of hospital workers wearing surgical masks vs. cloth masks vs. "normal practice"

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/4/...Vedx167Y8te2Y0

Quote:
Setting 14 secondary-level/tertiary-level hospitals in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Participants 1607 hospital HCWs aged ≥18 years working full-time in selected high-risk wards.

Intervention Hospital wards were randomised to: medical masks, cloth masks or a control group (usual practice, which included mask wearing). Participants used the mask on every shift for 4 consecutive weeks.
They felt it was unethical to ask people to wear no masks. The "normal practice" was a mix of surgical masks and cloth masks. They didn't have enough participants who went mask-less to draw any conclusions about that, but the study found that surgical masks were a lot better than cloth masks. And while it's possible that's because "cloth masks are worse than nothing", the odds are pretty good that cloth masks are better than nothing, but not as good as surgical masks, which aren't as good as N95 masks.

It turns out that vacuum cleaner bags and ordinary HVAC filters (like you'd have in your AC at home) work nearly as well as the N95 filters, although it takes some work to create a mask out them that you breath through rather than around. (If all your air comes around the edges of the mask, it doesn't help much.) But I saw some creative ways to use clothes-hangers, tubing, rubber bands, and vacuum cleaner filters to build workable masks.

I have some surgical masks knocking around, and I've asked my family members to wear them when they go out. If I didn't, I would use cloth masks. (The thicker the cloth, the better. You want the air to have lots of chances for a micro-droplet to touch a fiber and get trapped.)
Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 PM
= I Must Pass

Studying for drinking
Favorite beer: blue moon....cuz i'm a female

My brother is mailing us masks. Here’s a text we got a little bit ago.

“I am going to send each of you an N 95 mask. At this point I have stopped going to the grocery store etc. and will rely on grocery delivery from now on. I recommend the same for you both. However if you do still go out in public please wear the mask. Frankly I would like to have you wear it the whole time you have to be in the office. It is not comfortable and hard to breathe through but the alternative is way worse. I wear mine when I go into the office once a week or so. A new study came out this week finding that the most effective way to sanitize the mask without significantly impacting it’s filtration efficacy is to bake it for 30 minutes at the lowest temperature on your oven which should be about 175 after each time you wear it ”