Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 03-04-2020, 11:56 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Default How do you reach the wrong denomination with 7 spades to the AQJ10?

Weird deal from the BBO online sectional. My hand, matchpoints, both vul is
S-AQJ10842 H-A D-96 K92. I'll present it in phases, so you can judge how reasonable or unreasonable my choices were.
Spoiler:
Code:
LHO   CHO   RHO   Me
P     1H    1S    ?
That was an unexpected development. I do check and confirm that I cannot bid 2S, 3S or 4S naturally (all would show at least 3 hearts), so I pass. A likely plus score if all pass.

Good chance you all agreed with my choice there, and I suspect that auction happened at almost all tables.

BTW, it would be very slow to look at the auctions at every table. One I did look at, since it led to an unusual contract, with a much better result than mine, started with a negative double on this round. Started with a double anyway, which with CHO a bot was negative by agreement, but who knows how it was interpreted.
The auction continues. Next spoiler doesn't have my action, but I thought it was tougher than the
Spoiler:
Code:
LHO   CHO   RHO   Me
P     1H    1S    P
P     2C    P     ?
I check the system notes. 2S, 3S and 4S since not natural. 2S shows 4C, 3S and 4S still show at least 3H. 2NT (invitational) and 3NT are natural.

This spoiler shows my decision there, which I'm not sure you'll agree with, and in retrospect something else probably would have worked better. Anyway, my problems continue
Spoiler:
Code:
LHO   CHO   RHO   Me
P     1H    1S    P
P     2C    P     2S
P     3S    P     ?

I check the system notes about 3S. "4+, 5+, 11+ HCP, 12-17 total points, at best partial stop in ; forcing"

Sorry for you guys, I don't remember if I even checked the system notes for any of my alternatives. And now after the fact I can't see what any calls other than what I chose would have meant. I made the call I think most of you would have made.

This spoiler shows my decision there, which I'm not sure you'll agree with, and in retrospect something else probably would have worked better. Anyway, my problems continue.
Spoiler:
Code:
LHO   CHO   RHO   Me
P     1H    1S    P
P     2C    P     2S
P     3S    P     3NT
P     4H    P     ?
For 4H the system notes say "4+, 11+ HC; twice rebiddable , 12-17 total points, at best partial stop in

No more bidding problems for me. This one contains the result, and the one after it will finally show CHO's hand.
Spoiler:
Code:
LHO   CHO   RHO   Me
P     1H    1S    P
P     2C    P     2S
P     3S    P     3NT
P     4H    P     5C, then all pass
I strongly considered passing 4, but decided that if partner reopened with 2 instead of 2, clubs would be the better contract.

It certainly wasn't, the way I misplayed it (for CHO) for -400. One declarer in 5 got out for -100. 3 got out for -300. 4 others were -400. 2 were -500. 6 was -400 4 times; -500 5 times; -600 once. 7 went down 5, 6, or 9, once each.

And CHO's hand:
Spoiler:
- KJ109832 J8 AJ43

Why CHO reopened with 2 instead of 2, no idea.
Had I passed his 3 bid in the third spoiler, should be +140 no sweat, though the only declarer who was in that contract was down 1. Possibly trying for an overtrick. (But likely just a terrible player. The one who doubled 1S on the first round, then bid 2NT over his CHO'S 2C, then passed CHO's 3S.

Had I passed his 4 bid in the fourth spoiler, probably down 1, but made 4 times, down 1 13 times, down 2 twice, down 3 once.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:02 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave the auction to my this year's GNT partner, who bids far better than CHO and apparently far better than me.
Spoiler:
He wanted to make what he considers the practical bid of 3NT on round one. Then the practical bid of 3NT on round 2. Then pass 3S on round 3 (and he certainly would have made 3S). Then pass 4H on round 4.

I know nothing about how any tables reached 3NT, but it was down 1 22 times, down 2 twice, and down 3 once.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:19 PM

I've definitely found myself trying to trick CHO into making cuebids or bid blackwood with the intention of passing should partner stumble on to the proper suit. Usually these hands turn out to be disasters.

Unfortunately, I'm guilty of the sin SJ Simon notes in Why You Lose at Bridge - search for the best result possible, not the best possible result.