Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-09-2020, 01:16 PM
SOA

Well, I WAS still planning on going on my trip in August but my partner's conference got pushed into our travel dates because of COVID-19.

The best part is, JetBlue started waiving change/cancel fees one week after we booked, so I'm probably screwed. I'm hoping they might change their policies further or I might call and beg them (not very optimistic)
Old 03-09-2020, 04:04 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Few random thoughts.

My brother is a pilot for Delta. He flies domestically and says the load factors on his planes remain quite high, though down a few percentage points. He says, anecdotally, it's international that's getting hammered.

Related to that, Lufthansa has parked all of their Airbus 380 (really really big planes).

At the time of this writing, I'm still planning on going to Ireland next Friday. We'll see.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop John B View Post
Well, I WAS still planning on going on my trip in August but my partner's conference got pushed into our travel dates because of COVID-19.

The best part is, JetBlue started waiving change/cancel fees one week after we booked, so I'm probably screwed. I'm hoping they might change their policies further or I might call and beg them (not very optimistic)
JetBlue was nice enough to fully credit my flight, so I'm happy not to lose the $400 cancellation fee. My partner's having a tougher time with Delta (though that's a work trip so the $$$ don't really matter)
Old 03-11-2020, 10:13 AM

I am rethinking my trip April 5th to USVI (St Thomas).

Mike Osterholm: "If you do travel internationally, I don't think that it'll put you at a much higher risk than flying domestically in the US. But do you want to get hospitalized in Country X and do you know that you can get back into the United States without a 14-day quarantine? These are questions that make me hesitant to do international travel right now."
Despite his name, LTI is squeaky clean and not harboring any diseases. Physical ones at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
this might be my favorite thread on the AO

Last edited by LICENSED TO ILL; 03-11-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Old 03-11-2020, 10:47 AM
SOA

We have a cruise planned, leaving this Saturday. I'll probably cancel, need to give relatives that were traveling with us a heads up before I call the cruise line.

I've been watching our flights. Minneapolis to LAX on Friday, back on Sunday the 22nd.

As close as I can tell,
50% of the seats in coach are empty on the outbound flight, and
60% are empty on the return flight.
It would be nice to fly with room to spread out, like the olden days. But, it wouldn't be nice if the airline cancelled the flight at the last minute.

Last edited by independent; 03-11-2020 at 01:03 PM..
Old 03-11-2020, 11:08 AM

We were planning on going to SW Florida during kids' Spring Break next week. Now we're not planning on going, but we haven't officially canceled flights yet (waiting to see if Southwest cancels first, since maybe that could result in a full refund instead of a credit). The kids have been off school since last Friday and will likely be off the rest of this week.

At this point it seems like a legit concern is getting stuck somewhere due to flight cancellation and/or quarantine. Based on the projected outbreak timeline, it seems not-unlikely that things will get pretty bad within the next week or so. The other main concern is visiting parents down there and increasing the likelihood of transmitting something to them after traveling through airports.

It seems like all of the people who are still comparing this to the flu or are not concerned about their lives being at risk are not considering that there's a good chance health support systems are about to get overloaded in the next week or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:15 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Just cancelled a weekend in the Poconos.

The bigger impetus was my young grand kids

I am ok travelling, but resorts or cruises are making me nervous
Old 03-11-2020, 11:59 AM
CAS

Friends just flew to Asia for a vacation. They report that one leg was only about 25% full, and the other was about 50% full. I wonder if they will have trouble getting home.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:56 PM
Non-Actuary

we're headed to all the national parks in utah for spring break. only part i'm worried about is that the 1-night stopover in vegas will impacted in some way. I heard they have shut down the buffets there, but wasn't planning on eating at those anyway.

our summer trip to Yellowstone is still on at this point. don't think it will be a problem, but who knows how this will play out in the next few months.

indy - i agree with canceling your cruise. no way i would get on a ship right now. mostly for fear that they wouldn't let me off when we docked.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:07 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triweasel View Post
indy - i agree with canceling your cruise. no way i would get on a ship right now. mostly for fear that they wouldn't let me off when we docked.
Yep, being an actuary, I tried doing numbers. Last week I was thinking 99% probability for getting off the ship*. I was willing to take that chance (cruise is a big deal for other family members).

I updated yesterday using newest confirmed numbers, and got 90% or less for getting off the ship. That's too risky for me.

* I was thinking less than 100 new cases daily next week, 330 million US population, and 5,000 people on the ship.
Now I'm thinking 1,000 new cases daily.

Last edited by independent; 03-11-2020 at 01:11 PM..