Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


View Poll Results: What is your anxiety level regarding the pandemic?
No Change from Normal 41 26.80%
Slightly Anxious 41 26.80%
Moderately Anxious 44 28.76%
Very Anxious 17 11.11%
42 Rolls of Toilet Paper 10 6.54%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Jasper07734's Avatar
Jasper07734 Jasper07734 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
because there is some pretty solid basis for my assumptions.
go on...
__________________
The revAOlution will be complete when the language is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:

s9; BS2; EC (not that EC); j6; A; W; TDA; CG; BB; TR; TG; A;
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Whiskey's Avatar
Whiskey Whiskey is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Studying for nothing at all
Posts: 41,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
go on...
Your inability to realize that this isn't 'media fueled hysteria' that is causing the need for 'social distancing' and 'not going out' has provided all that is needed.
__________________
Whiskey "on tap" - 12/31/15
Spoiler:

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-15-2020, 03:57 PM
Jasper07734's Avatar
Jasper07734 Jasper07734 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
My inability to realize that cyberbullying is not the way to engage in productive conversation has provided all that is needed.
That's true. I'll just try again some other time.
__________________
The revAOlution will be complete when the language is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:

s9; BS2; EC (not that EC); j6; A; W; TDA; CG; BB; TR; TG; A;
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-15-2020, 03:58 PM
Shish-Kabalah Shish-Kabalah is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 99
Default

lol poor Jasper caught terminal snowflakerona virus

another infraction for insulting

Last edited by Moderator1; 03-15-2020 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-15-2020, 04:04 PM
Jasper07734's Avatar
Jasper07734 Jasper07734 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,511
Default

Anyway. Serious question: Right now it seems that other diseases have caused many more deaths and afflictions than this covid-19 has so far. Is that not an argument against the hysteria though just because we don't know how long it will last and the numbers could change?
__________________
The revAOlution will be complete when the language is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:

s9; BS2; EC (not that EC); j6; A; W; TDA; CG; BB; TR; TG; A;
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Shish-Kabalah Shish-Kabalah is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 99
Default

Lol...don't ever change, AO mods. Y'all enjoy your panic party, go ahead and permaban my ass for thinking that even in these troubled times, I can still enjoy the comfort of the consistency of mods here having complete shit for brains. :hug:

permabanned

Last edited by Moderator1; 03-15-2020 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-15-2020, 04:15 PM
#N/A #N/A is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
Anyway. Serious question: Right now it seems that other diseases have caused many more deaths and afflictions than this covid-19 has so far. Is that not an argument against the hysteria though just because we don't know how long it will last and the numbers could change?
You are correct. The diseases like the flu have caused many more deaths....so far. The fear is what this could become if this is not contained. Italy is deteriorating pretty quickly at this point. China had to shut down to contain it. I agree that the mortality rate is probably overstated, but I think precautions are necessary.

Iím trying to keep this thread encouraging. Some people are truly scare and need support.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-15-2020, 04:16 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 6,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
Anyway. Serious question: Right now it seems that other diseases have caused many more deaths and afflictions than this covid-19 has so far. Is that not an argument against the hysteria though just because we don't know how long it will last and the numbers could change?
No, it's not. Are you familiar with exponential growth? The flu ain't growing much. We understand it, it's a bad thing, but we have a lot of good strategies in place to mitigate it. Covid is growing exponentially. We don't know what the inflection point will be. We don't have good treatments or preventative measures. Things are looking pretty bad. Maybe the inflection point will be soon, and it won't be as bad as many of us fear. (If so, that will likely be the result of everyone staying away from everyone else until we have a better handle on this thing.) But maybe not. There's a lot of reason to be afraid.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-15-2020, 04:16 PM
Flying J Flying J is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunny
Posts: 9,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
No change. Just waiting patiently for the media-fueled hysteria to subside so the fluoride-controlled JSAs can calm the * down and I can go out again.
And this is why the US will do a much worse job of containing the virus than China. I guess I should expect my staycation to be more like 3 months+
__________________
I kinda think I want to have a lemon party now.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Jasper07734's Avatar
Jasper07734 Jasper07734 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,511
Default

It's just that I see people hoarding Gatorade because all the water has already been hoarded, and TP to make flushable masks (that do nothing to help anyway) out of I guess, and the market going way down then way up, and I can't help but wonder who is stirring up/making bank off all this panic.
__________________
The revAOlution will be complete when the language is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:

s9; BS2; EC (not that EC); j6; A; W; TDA; CG; BB; TR; TG; A;
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.23587 seconds with 11 queries