Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:59 AM
Alemana19 Alemana19 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 102
Default Spring 2020 FV Progress

It is about 3 months and change away. No changes from Fall 2019 FV exam.

Who else is taking it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2020, 10:02 AM
DarchArvor's Avatar
DarchArvor DarchArvor is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Studying for everything
Posts: 744
Default

good luck
__________________
P FM MFE C MLC FAP PA GHC GHDPA GHFVA >>> GHSPC
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2020, 10:19 AM
Alemana19 Alemana19 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 102
Default

Thanks!

Did you see the pass rates?

DPA: 53%
DPC: 39%

FVA: 63%
FVC: 31% (granted, small sample size here)

The difference in pass rates of combined DP exam (or combined FV, but that was a small sample size) vs Advanced exam must be substantial (and we can kinda estimate it as it is).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM
sgiordano45 sgiordano45 is offline
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
College: Notre Dame
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemana19 View Post
It is about 3 months and change away. No changes from Fall 2019 FV exam.

Who else is taking it?
I'm doing full FV. Passed DPA/DPC in October. First attempt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:30 PM
Alemana19 Alemana19 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiordano45 View Post
I'm doing full FV. Passed DPA/DPC in October. First attempt
Great! What was your strategy for DP? What are you going to do the same? What are you going to do differently, if anything?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:41 PM
sgiordano45 sgiordano45 is offline
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
College: Notre Dame
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemana19 View Post
Great! What was your strategy for DP? What are you going to do the same? What are you going to do differently, if anything?
I started studying in June and used TIA for video while I marked up the MATE manual. Then I just spammed reading the Mate note cards/condensed outline (aka the Lists) and used the TIA notecard app. Final two days before exam was practice tests. I got super behind on my studying during August due to work travel/starting a new client so I wasn't super confident going in. So my August/September studying definitely wasn't ideal.

However a ton of the material, especially on DP-C, was what I did in my day-to-day work so i had the general content knowledge even if I didn't know the specifics of a list. So I got lucky as I knew the general gist of things enough which apparently that was enough for partial credit.

For this sitting, I'm reading the Mate manual for my 1st pass and then will watch TIA videos/read manual again on my 2nd pass. Goal is to finish that by end of February and then just work on note card memorization as I feel like I lost tons of time on the exam on questions where if I had memorized the lists, it would have been a quick recite.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2020, 03:23 PM
Alemana19 Alemana19 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiordano45 View Post
I started studying in June and used TIA for video while I marked up the MATE manual. Then I just spammed reading the Mate note cards/condensed outline (aka the Lists) and used the TIA notecard app. Final two days before exam was practice tests. I got super behind on my studying during August due to work travel/starting a new client so I wasn't super confident going in. So my August/September studying definitely wasn't ideal.

However a ton of the material, especially on DP-C, was what I did in my day-to-day work so i had the general content knowledge even if I didn't know the specifics of a list. So I got lucky as I knew the general gist of things enough which apparently that was enough for partial credit.

For this sitting, I'm reading the Mate manual for my 1st pass and then will watch TIA videos/read manual again on my 2nd pass. Goal is to finish that by end of February and then just work on note card memorization as I feel like I lost tons of time on the exam on questions where if I had memorized the lists, it would have been a quick recite.
Am I reading that right, that you didn't look at any past exams until late October? My exam strategy is pretty much as different from yours as can be...

I read the source material (as needed, not for all the readings) in combination with reading the mate outline at the same time as I was doing a first pass through a whole lot of past exams. Then I did mate problems and the additional problem set provided at the mate seminar, then I did the rest of the past exams, then I did the past exams again and the mate problems again. I read the flash cards repeatedly (in transit) but I did not memorize them.

I started studying in August, so I studied for 3 months at a very high level of intensity. My study methods are effective but exhausting. I don't think I'll be able to make myself work that hard this sitting. I'll do less past exams this time. I will take more weekend days off from studying. But I am starting earlier this time!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:03 PM
sgiordano45 sgiordano45 is offline
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
College: Notre Dame
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemana19 View Post
Am I reading that right, that you didn't look at any past exams until late October? My exam strategy is pretty much as different from yours as can be...

I read the source material (as needed, not for all the readings) in combination with reading the mate outline at the same time as I was doing a first pass through a whole lot of past exams. Then I did mate problems and the additional problem set provided at the mate seminar, then I did the rest of the past exams, then I did the past exams again and the mate problems again. I read the flash cards repeatedly (in transit) but I did not memorize them.

I started studying in August, so I studied for 3 months at a very high level of intensity. My study methods are effective but exhausting. I don't think I'll be able to make myself work that hard this sitting. I'll do less past exams this time. I will take more weekend days off from studying. But I am starting earlier this time!
I watched videos on old exam questions via TIA but generally it seemed like the math of any problem was simple. The bigger issue was understanding the concept and then applying the math so I focused more on materials.

That said, it definitely wasn't an ideal study pattern. I was not confident at all going in but did walk out fairly hopeful. I got a 6/7 on A/C so it wasn't like I killed it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-17-2020, 04:29 PM
DataDan's Avatar
DataDan DataDan is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Coast US
Posts: 3,937
Default

Im in for just FV-A.

I saw the reserving material when I took Sring 2019 GHA, so really just the EV stuff will be new.

using MATE.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2020, 03:00 PM
Alemana19 Alemana19 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 102
Default

Candidates that skip the textbooks miss out on the joke on p. 232 of Leida.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.34795 seconds with 11 queries