Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Finished the Well of Ascension reread last night. Absolutely awesome the second time through, particularly because
Spoiler:
(1) you can tell the exact scene TenSoon replaces OreSeur because of subtle but noticeable changes in attitude/personality, as well as small indications throughout the entire book. TenSoon misses several cues, but he's remarkably good at recovering from them and making them seem like they aren't a big deal. So easy to miss the first time through (I was shocked when I found out the kandra spy was 'OreSeur' all along) but so obvious the second through. And (2) reading through all the misinterpretations/changes of Kwaan's letter originally carved into steel, but copied by Sazed using a rubbing.

Honestly, probably one of my favorite rereads I can remember, and I had held WoA to be the weakest of the original trilogy the first time through.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 AM
CAS AAA

http://bit.ly/1XxejbD

Announcement of "Mistborn: House War" board game.

looks like it's set before the first book, as you try to build alliances and gain the favor of the Lord Ruler. Hits Kickstarter next month.

ugh. shut up and take my money.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Finally got around to finishing the HoA re-read last night.

Suffice to say, the final events of the trilogy are a lot easier to understand after reading all the other Cosmere books and especially Secret History. My wife finished the trilogy as well and loved the ending. I'm trying to get her to start the Stormlight Archives now.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Been following along with Sanderson's updates on Stormlight #3 for awhile, he's been stuck at the 50-52% point for quite awhile. Looks like he shifted gears to the Stormlight Novella and hasn't made a ton of progress on either.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:21 AM
SOA

Good news is that White Sand graphic novel comes out later this month I believe. So that's something new to read in the mean time
Old 06-07-2016, 10:22 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that one. I'm not much of a graphic novel person. I'm kind of wondering how I'm even going to go about getting it, I don't think that would do too well as an eBook.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
Yeah, I keep forgetting about that one. I'm not much of a graphic novel person. I'm kind of wondering how I'm even going to go about getting it, I don't think that would do too well as an eBook.
Na, go get a real copy. I already contacted my local comic shop to see if they were going to carry it. I'm not sure it's going to be a great translation (i think you can read his version of white sand if you request it from him?) since I think a lot of what I like about Sanderson's writing is his details and characters. I think graphic novels in general don't do as well in either of those areas since all of the details are drawn and the character development generally only happens through facial expressions/actions and the talking bubbles (unless they have thought bubbles, which help development a lot).

But I have to read a graphic novel for my summer reading program anyway...and I was going to read this regardless.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingboing View Post
Na, go get a real copy. I already contacted my local comic shop to see if they were going to carry it. I'm not sure it's going to be a great translation (i think you can read his version of white sand if you request it from him?) since I think a lot of what I like about Sanderson's writing is his details and characters. I think graphic novels in general don't do as well in either of those areas since all of the details are drawn and the character development generally only happens through facial expressions/actions and the talking bubbles (unless they have thought bubbles, which help development a lot).

But I have to read a graphic novel for my summer reading program anyway...and I was going to read this regardless.
The previews I saw were extremely descriptive, almost excessively so.

Here ya go: http://www.tor.com/2016/03/18/brando...novel-preview/
Old 06-07-2016, 10:41 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
The previews I saw were extremely descriptive, almost excessively so.

Here ya go: http://www.tor.com/2016/03/18/brando...novel-preview/
Looks solid to me.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Perfect State eBook was on sale a bit ago. One of his non-Cosmere novellas. I went ahead and picked up. I just started reading it and I'm already 36% through, so, I'll probably be done in 45 minutes or so.