Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old Today, 09:20 AM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary_Zero View Post
Possibly another dumb question but how can you get 52.5? I assumed there was no partial credit since itís multiple choice.
It's the guessing adjustment used by the CAS. For an incorrect answer, they subtract one quarter of the point value.
Old Today, 09:28 AM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
The time series questions on the last spring exam were ridiculously simple. Just straight up calculation.
It could change ofc. I recommended people this in the past and I still stand with it: Focus a lot on GLM. Know it well inside out.
I did a run through of the Spring MAS-I exam this weekend, I did notice that the time series questions were very simple as you said. I thought the new statistical methods on MAS-I was a little rough, there weren't a lot of practice problems on the new material.

I missed 2 on GLMs and one was because I forgot to square the answer since it used the square root link function, I did generally hear the GLMs section was rough from other students.

I took some advice from the forums and focused on it while learning material and periodically reviewed GLMs, I also feel like Mahler does a great job at explaining GLMs in general. If you're struggling with GLMs I highly recommend his manual.
Old Today, 12:28 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
College: University of Nebraska at Omaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1290 View Post
It's the guessing adjustment used by the CAS. For an incorrect answer, they subtract one quarter of the point value.
So, I'm new to CAS exams.

Is it better to guess or just leave a question blank, like if you have 100% no idea what to do, hypothetically.

VEE: Accounting and Corporate Finance[✔] Economics[✔]

Online Course: 1[ ] 2[ ]

Course on Professionalism[ ]
Old Today, 12:31 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsteinbach View Post

Is it better to guess or just leave a question blank, like if you have 100% no idea what to do, hypothetically.
That seems like a pretty easy exam P exercise in expected value.
Old Today, 02:28 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsteinbach View Post

This is my first CAS exam as well. If you have no idea, and feel like you're doing well on the rest of the test, leaving it blank seems like a good idea.

I'd probably guess if I can eliminate 2-3 answer choices as incorrect, or if I felt the test was altogether not going well. The point of the adjustment is to eliminate the advantage of blindly guessing, so in theory you have a 20% chance of getting it right if you guess; if you guess on 5 and get 1 right and 4 wrong your net points are zero with the deduction for incorrect answer.