Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Columbia University
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Columbia University Daniel Rabinowitz - Admissions and Acadmic Adviser
http://www.ce.columbia.edu/actuary

Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM
SOA

College: King's College London
Default Master of Science in Actuarial Science- Fall 2013 cohort

Hello everyone!

I graduated from King's College London, UK in 2012 with a BSc Mathematics degree. I've recently been offered a place at Columbia University for the Master of Science in Actuarial Science program, Fall 2013 cohort.

I wanted to use this thread to get to know others who have gotten in as well. It would also be helpful if any current students could help us out with a few queries that we might have. Additionally, if anyone is still applying/ planning to apply, I'd be happy to help out in anyway that I can.

Hoping to hear back from you guys on this.

Best,

KCL Maths

Last edited by KCLMaths2012; 09-14-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 AM
SOA

Hey!!

I am from India and have completed my under graduation in Statistics. Even I have been offered a place in Columbia's actuarial science program for the fall semester 2013. But I am confused about which university to choose.

What was the specific criteria due to which you chose Columbia? Any thoughts of yours on this matter would be really helpful.

Also, if any current columbia students are reading this, Could you let me know what is the scene regarding financial assistance. Do international students get any sort of aid, maybe through TA's or other such assistance.

Hoping to hear from you.

Best,
Nehal
Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM
SOA

Hey Nehal!

I've chosen Columbia for three main reasons:

1) MS Actuarial Science graduates from Columbia have been known to have done well in securing jobs right after graduating- this goes both for local and international students. I've looked into the profiles of quite a few of the alumnis and it's quite impressive.

2) Columbia has portrayed the fact that they have a better network and reach when it comes to attracting prospective employers to hire from their graduate pool.

3) Columbia's Actuarial Science program includes pro-seminars. You should look into that on their website or contact someone in the department about it. These are seminars which focus on projects which are made to replicate those that real actuarial trainees work on.

Also, contact the program director, Mr. Noor Rajah, the Program Director for information on how to apply for a TA position.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 PM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: Spaceballs U
Favorite beer: RC Cola/Yeti Oak-Aged Stout

I'm a recent grad of Columbia. No aid at all, unless you get a job as a TA, then they pay you a minimal amount. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

pit-bull = data

Prelims: 1 2 3F MLC 4
ACAS: 5 6U VS VE VF OC1 OC2 COP
FCAS: 7 8 9

CPCU: Ethics 500 520 530 540 555 556 557 ARe144
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: Columbia University

Hi,

I just started the first course in the summer term. And can answer any specific questions that you may have.

Srikanth Perinkulam
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM
SOA

Hey Srikanth,

Thanks for the offer. It would be helpful if you could suggest the books/study materials to use for the following modules:

STAT W4105. Probability
STAT W4107. Statistical Inference
STAT W4840. Theory of Interest
ACTU K4830. Stochastic Processes for Actuarial Science
ACTU K4821. Actuarial Methods
ACTU K4823. Actuarial Models

Thanks in advance!

Best,

KCLMaths
Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: Columbia University

KCLMaths,

I just took the STAT 4105. Probability class. You would be asked to purchase - An introduction to Probability by Sheldon Ross, 9th Edition.

Not quite sure what books would be needed for other courses.

Srikanth
Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: Spaceballs U
Favorite beer: RC Cola/Yeti Oak-Aged Stout

You are not thinking about taking all of those classes in one semester are you? That is an incredibly heavy load.

pit-bull = data

Prelims: 1 2 3F MLC 4
ACAS: 5 6U VS VE VF OC1 OC2 COP
FCAS: 7 8 9

CPCU: Ethics 500 520 530 540 555 556 557 ARe144
Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 AM
SOA

Hey Srikanth! Thanks for the info! I'll have a look into the books for the other modules from some other sources

@bpharvey10- No, I just listed the ones which I'm sure I'll be taking during the program. But you've touched upon an important issue though. I'm supposed to finish my degree in 1.5 years and I'm not quite sure how many courses I have to take per semester. Any suggestions? (Mind you though, I don't reckon I can get any courses waived because I haven't taken any actuarial exams yet).

Thanks for the help!

KCLMaths
Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 AM
SOA

Hey Srikanth! Thanks for the info! I'll have a look into the books for the other modules from some other sources

@bpharvey10- No, I just listed the ones which I'm sure I'll be taking during the program. But you've touched upon an important issue though. I'm supposed to finish my degree in 1.5 years and I'm not quite sure how many courses I have to take per semester. Any suggestions? (Mind you though, I don't reckon I can get any courses waived because I haven't taken any actuarial exams yet).

Thanks for the help!

KCLMaths